A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 299,157
Currently Running With Scissors:
543 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Book: Fitting Finesse by Nancy Zieman  (Read 313 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SeeJaneSew
« on: February 25, 2007 01:36:28 PM »

Hi, first post & just recently registered.  I would consider myself either an advanced beginner or a crummy intermediate when it comes to sewing ...and I am still suffering desperately in the area of fit and pattern modification. 

Anyone ever consulted, used, recommend, or discourage the book "Fitting Finesse" by Nancy Zieman? Any other fit or pattern alteration books I might be on the look out for? 

Santa (i.e husband) bought me a dressform for Christmas which has aided drastically in reducing my hissy-fit bouts aimed at McCall's & Simplicity et al but I wonder if Nancy Zieman is the panacea for my pattern modification/fit woes? Huh

Figuring out pattern modification to me is right up there with deciphering fractional calculus & quantitative physics.

Jane

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Do the best you can, then to hell with it!" Eunice Kennedy-Shriver
Sophisticated Hippie
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007 02:36:30 PM »

Hi Jane,
I think its a great book to start out with.  She explains things easily and gives you safe easy ways of tackling problems.  She uses the pivot and slide method for the most part which is one of the easiest to follow.
With most sewing adventures, try one thing at a time until you get your confidence built up.  Once you have the hang of her techniques then you can go onto others that may be more advanced.  All fitting techniques are basically the same process unless you are talking about patterns vs. ready to wear and then it can vary.
What a wonderful Santa to get you a dress form, he sounds like a keeper!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. ~Benjamin Franklin
SeeJaneSew
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007 05:30:20 PM »

Thanks for the reply, I ended up ordering the book (and scads of other " just HAVE to have or else" items) from Nancy's website. Yes, my "Santa" is a keeper - can't ask for for a better gift than him! Jane
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Do the best you can, then to hell with it!" Eunice Kennedy-Shriver
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Capture Motion in Photography
Storytelling in Macro Photography
When Are You Ready For a DSLR
Critical Shutter Speeds in Macro Photography
How to Choose a Lens For a DSLR - Photography Tips
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...