A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 300,915
Currently Running With Scissors:
546 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: GOOD Fabric and ribbon sources?  (Read 2348 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bonanzajellybean

Even art teachers get the blues.

View Profile
« on: February 23, 2007 07:48:57 PM »

Does anyone know where I could get some good quality fabrics?  Right now my main options is Hobby Lobby, and their quality just does not seem that good.  Are there any ribbon stores in NC?  I am tired of synthetics and I want to find real wool felt, suede, silk etc.  I live in Greensboro but I also frequent the Asheville and Raleigh area.  I heard there was a good fabric store in Walkertown but I am not sure where it is or how to get there.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my handspun fibers...
http://www.thirdfloorfibers.etsy.com
TessTessi

Lily is my best friend

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007 02:53:51 PM »

I'm curious about this, too!

PS I love Tom Robbins, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Holy flipping cow. I changed my profile picture after 4 years on here.

Love Alpacas?  Go visit: Alpaca Love Club
Come visit my website!  www.madebytess.com
rozekitten

Glue, buttons, and a wall. Hmmm...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007 02:58:25 PM »

I can ask my mom.  She lives in that area I know.  Maybe she knows of some places.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hoppy

she's crafty, she gets around...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007 06:55:14 PM »

Yes! I have been to the store in Walkertown. It looks like crap from the outside but it is full (I mean from floor to ceiling-major fire hazard) of fabrics. Ribbons--not so much.  They do have a lot of vintage fabrics, cottons, velvet and a great selection of suit-type fabrics and wool blends.  Don't go trying to find something specific.  If there is something in particular,( esp vinyl) that you are looking for and can't find-
ask. Thay have a whole secret room they usually don't let the public into.  I may not be the best person to ask directions of, but I think it's on  highway 66.  I always get there by going through Kernersville. If you can make it to Walkertown, I feel sure anyone could tell you how to get there-it's not a big place.

Also-if you are ever looking for upholstery fabrics or tapestries, there is a great place in High Point called 1501 fabrics that has great prices on fabulous remnants.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bonanzajellybean

Even art teachers get the blues.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007 03:43:08 PM »

Also-if you are ever looking for upholstery fabrics or tapestries, there is a great place in High Point called 1501 fabrics that has great prices on fabulous remnants.

Do you know where in High Point?  Is it near downtown?

I have to try to get to Walkertown, I like the sound of a 'secret room.'  Thanks for the info.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my handspun fibers...
http://www.thirdfloorfibers.etsy.com
MyMendingsItch
Poetry & Stitches

:Xthree-times-used-stringX:

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007 06:40:05 PM »

Yes! I have been to the store in Walkertown. It looks like crap from the outside but it is full (I mean from floor to ceiling-major fire hazard) of fabrics. Ribbons--not so much.  They do have a lot of vintage fabrics, cottons, velvet and a great selection of suit-type fabrics and wool blends.  Don't go trying to find something specific.  If there is something in particular,( esp vinyl) that you are looking for and can't find-
ask. Thay have a whole secret room they usually don't let the public into.  I may not be the best person to ask directions of, but I think it's on  highway 66.  I always get there by going through Kernersville. If you can make it to Walkertown, I feel sure anyone could tell you how to get there-it's not a big place.

Do you know the name of the fabric store in Walkertown?

I'm slightly new to NC and live in Kernersville.  My husband has seen a JoAnn's in Winston-Salem, and i've heard there are a few good fabric stores in Greensboro.  I'll post some links for the few i've found for those who are interested.

Oh, and there is a Ben Franklin Crafts in Kernersville on South Main behind McDonalds and KFC.  Good place for yarns and ok for fabrics, among other things... not for ribbon though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MyMendingsItch
Poetry & Stitches

:Xthree-times-used-stringX:

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007 06:48:12 PM »

Here is a directory with a few stores in NC:

http://www.makeitu.com/wheretobuy_results.cfm?state=nc

Local Jo-Ann stores:

http://www.joann.com/store_locator/locator_main.jhtml;$sessionid$FY5ISSYAAJTDCP4SY5KRHOR50LD3UEPO

*edit*  I guess i can't post the local J-A store listing, but you can use the link with your zip code.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007 06:50:08 PM by MyMendingsItch » THIS ROCKS   Logged

hoppy

she's crafty, she gets around...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007 06:23:51 PM »

I have to confess I don't know the name of the store-we always just called it Walkertown fabrics. Sorry.
The upholstery place in High Point is right off business 85 I think at the Green Road exit (better call). You get off at the exit, turn left, cross the bridge and make an immediate right. There are some warehouse-style buildings and it's on the right among them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SissyRadford
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007 04:15:30 PM »

Hey girls! I hope you are all doing well. I'm Leslie (aka Sissy) and I live outside of Raleigh. I work at a WONDERFUL fabric store in Cary, NC. We (the store I work at) is an heirloom fabric store (lots of cottons - like batiste and pique, french laces, smocking, needlework, etc)... but it has grown to much more. Now we offer lots of quilting supplies, classes (that are a broad range) and nice quality cotton fabrics. Check out our website at www.ElegantStitches.com ... and if you order, make a note that Leslie sent you there via Craftster.org!!! And if you are in the area, come by, visit the shop and say hi...
Leslie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I finally have a blog!
http://sissybelle.blogspot.com
pinkpandaparade
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012 06:28:16 PM »

Joann's is off of Market in GSO, but I also go to all the thrift stores in the area as well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Some Bugs by Angela DiTerlizzi
Inside Delancey with Molly Wizenberg
How to Lose Weight with Your Partner from Love Me Slender
Henny by Elizabeth Rose Stanton
Lynn Cullen Talks Edgar Allen Poe and MRS. POE
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...