A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 300,915
Currently Running With Scissors:
600 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: $8 + 4 hours = new jacket. UPDATED WITH TUTORIAL  (Read 23074 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pamelabee
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2007 09:00:02 AM »

omg Starlight, there is no way I could knit a sweater in 4 hours! Shocked

But the only knitting I did for this project was on the cuffs and bottom -- the rest is an old thrifted sweater that I felted.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

naperknitmom
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2007 09:07:50 AM »

What a fabulous jacket! I love the contrasting cuffs and bottom hem! Amazing job and brilliant considering the thrifty nature of the project- $8 OMG!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Smudgebait
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2007 09:19:11 AM »

Imaginative, inventive, an ideal improvement and very inspirational.  Be Proud!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NullSet
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2007 01:15:12 PM »

That is beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starlight1221
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2007 01:42:25 PM »

omg Starlight, there is no way I could knit a sweater in 4 hours! Shocked

But the only knitting I did for this project was on the cuffs and bottom -- the rest is an old thrifted sweater that I felted.

oh, thank god!  I should've checked out your blog before assuming I was the world's slowest knitter  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elliebelly123
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2007 04:42:36 PM »

I love it!!!! It's a great color and it looks fabulous on you!!!! Grin Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Dress shabbily and they remember the dress; dress impeccably and they remember the woman."  Coco Chanel
twilight
Craftista

Aren't we all lamas really...on the inside?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2007 07:54:38 PM »

Very cool. I like how the trim is a shade darker. That's a nice touch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It's just a ride."-Bill Hicks
My crafting blog: http://twilightkallisti.com/
Twitter: @TwilightChaos
pamelabee
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2007 04:43:06 PM »

(1) Start with a 100% wool sweater that is several sizes too big. You want to shrink it down to a heavy fabric and still have it be big enough for you.

(2) Shrink the sweater in washing machine (instructions at http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=10664.0). Most knitters call this 'felting,' though it is more accurately called 'fulling.' Whatever. Just shrink the sweater.

(3) When dry, get out a sweatshirt or jacket you like fit of. Lay it on top of the shrunken sweater as a template.

Pin and baste the shrunken sweater along the seam that runs down the sleeves and body so that it is the same shape as the template -- you will be making new seams here.

(4) Try on to ensure happy fit. (NOTE: The shrunken wool will not have the same stretchiness as your favorite sweatshirt. Try on often.) Cut out along the basted lines with 1/2" allowance for seam.

(5) Stitch.

(6) Cut the sweater down center front for zipper.

(7) Cut off the bottom of the sweater to make it 3" shorter than you want the final product to be (3" is the amount of ribbing I used for the bottom hem -- you can of course customize this and make it as wide as you like).

(8) Cut the sleeves off to 3" shorter than you want the final product to be. See above re: customization.

(9) With sharp circular knitting needle and yarn of your choice, pick up stitches along the bottom of the sweater. The needle will poke right through the fabric, and you can draw the yarn through.

If you want to do this up right, you will swatch to determine what gauge you'll be knitting at, then measure the circumference of the fabric and multiply by your number of stitches per inch -- pick up this number of stitches. If you are lazy like me, just pick up as many stitches as look good to you. This is yarn, not rocket science. (I used bulky yarn with US9 needles, and picked up about 120 stitches around a 34" circumference.)

The following instructions are for TWO DIFFERENT versions. The TABBED version has a button and a length of knitted fabric that covers the base of the zipper. The NO-TAB version has a plain ribbed bottom.

-----TAB VERSION-----

At the end of your picked-up row, cast on as many stitches as you like to make the tab (I used 13 with chunky yarn).

Tab increase rows: *turn, k to end of row. turn, k to last 2 sts, Kfb, k1*

Repeat * until knitted piece measures 1.5" (or half of other desired length). With my chunky yarn, I did this a total of 3 times.

Buttonhole row: turn, k 3, work buttonhole, k to end of row. (NOTE: Buttonhole instructions can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buttonhole_(knitting).)

Tab decrease rows: *turn, k to last 3 sts, k2tog, k1. turn, k to end of row*

Repeat * until decreases match increases.

-----NO TAB VERSION-----

Knit in 1x1 or 2x2 rib for 3" until bottom hem is desired length.

-----BOTH VERSIONS-----
Bind off loosely or with flexible bind-off.

With double pointed needles, pick up stitches along cuffs in same manner as above. Join and knit in the round, in rib, for 3" or until cuffs are desired length.

If you are using a crew neck sweater, or if you find the felted fabric too scratchy by your face, you can cut off the collar and pick up and knit stitches around the neck as well.

Install zipper (instructions at http://www.chicknits.com/ttizipper.shtml). For tab version, sew on button.

Woo hoo! Jacket!

« Last Edit: February 25, 2007 07:58:06 PM by pamelabee » THIS ROCKS   Logged

pikabean
also known as Natch

cross my heart and kiss my elbows!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2007 05:38:11 PM »

what an amazingly awesome and innovative idea!  And thanks so much for the tut.  I definitely want to try this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gem_oddfellow
It's not easy taking over the world...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2007 07:51:35 PM »

Wow that looks really awesome! Thanks for posting a tute, I'm totally adding this to my "make this" list. ^_^

hearts
Gem
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Waffle Cable Stitch Part 6/9
How to Crochet a Waffle Cable Stitch Part 1/9
How to Crochet a Vintage Baby Hat Part 6/10
How to Crochet a Vintage Baby Hat Part 4/10
How to Crochet a Vintage Baby Hat Part 5/10
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...