A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
485 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutu Tutorial? - No Sewing Machine  (Read 82192 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

love.is.a.battlefeild
« on: February 23, 2007 02:24:06 PM »

i need help in i have to make a tutu for some costume party thing im goin as a bee and im going to buy some tulle fabric on sunday.. the partys on thursday
what would be the best way to make a tutu?
did i mention i dont have a sewing machine at the time Shocked?
a) an all yellow tutu
b)and all black tutu
c)a yellow tutu and black on botom{?}
o and how much fabric to buy?
im wearing ayellow and blak stiped shirt if it helps
and how do i make it so its not see through
wow that was alot of writing sorry!
i would love you if you helped me
and...
i alredy searched for a tute that would help me(on craftser)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009 06:44:49 AM by jungrrl - Reason: Made title more descriptive » THIS ROCKS   Logged

.peace.
junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007 05:52:24 PM »

measure yourself and find out the size you need it finished. This  would be the waist or hips where you are going to wear it mostly. So multiply it by four or five depending on how full you want it to be.
Cut it out in a rectangle shape. If you don't have the length there then make it in panels. Perhaps four panels of the same length would work. Now you have to join these pieces together to make one long long rectangle. Join them by handstitching through the holes. Use a fairly thick thread and it's basically just looping throught the holes there. If you can't sew them the way you like to without a machine don't bother to join them. Just over lap the shorter edges by an inch   until you have used up all of the netting. This is just for the first layer. Now do exactly the same for the yellow layer. Lay the yellow on top of the black in the  same formation with them over lapping by an inch.  Now take what ever you are using for the waist band. This could be just two inch black elastic. Cut this elastic the size you want minus an inch for comfort.  This will make it stretch just enough. Now you say no sewin machine, Just hand sew the eslatic closed as best as you can.
Now back to the netting. You have the two layers laid out on the floor so start at one end and use a very long long thread with your needle. Now sew in and out baout ever three quarts of an inch through the netting until you ge to the end. Leave a long end at the ending part. You will ikely run out of thread and have to rethread a couple of times through here. Just tie an know with the end and begining to join them. Once yo have reached the end of the line you will begin the gathering. Pull your thread to tighten it up. You just keep gathering until it's almost the size of your band. Now the harder part is to sew the gathered end to our waist band. It might be tougher to do to make it perfectly fit elastic. But you can also just use ribbon around the waist. Then stitch the gathered ends to the ribbon or whatever else you have on hand. With ribbon you could leave it open and then tie the ribbon around the waist.
I hope this is easy to understand. I am in no way good with words liek this and just can't draw a sketch out for you. But just email me and i'll try and help.

Now decide how long you want the skirt to b. Say if you want the skirt to be approx. 20 inches long.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dyno
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007 08:58:21 PM »

i alredy searched for a tute that would help me(on craftser)
....I have an illustrated tutorial if you need it.

meanwhile, here's some design options for the yellow and black. pardon the crude drawings:

use a stiff opaque fabric  (like tafetta) on the bottom layer to prevent it from being see-thu. or just wear little shorts underneath.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009 01:04:12 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
kd
Ta Da, It's Miss America!

If you can't convince them, confuse them.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007 09:13:50 PM »

I would go with all black.  The yellow won't show up well with the tulle.  

You'll need hoards of tulle (I use 5 yards for a toddlers size) but it's usually pretty cheap...  You'll basically do a running stitch down the center (use dental floss so it doesnt break) and then gather it.  If you want to get fancy you can stitch it to the edge of a wide gross grain ribbon, making an apron shape, with ribbon left on the ends to tie it around your waist.

As far as it not being see through, I'd purchase a skirt at a consignment store to wear under it.  You could make an easy skirt out of a black pillow case too by sewing a casing to run some elastic through.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007 09:17:17 PM by kd » THIS ROCKS   Logged

There is no such thing as a stay-at-home mom.
artisticnightmare
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007 10:38:37 PM »

I don't know if you want to try this, but I made one for a Halloween outfit and it worked great.  It's practically sewing free so that was also a plus, the only thing you have to stitch is the elastic at the end of it all. 

What I did was bought the colors of tulle I wanted and then took a waist measurement.  After that I cut the elastic band to fit and started tying on the tulle.  You will have to cut the tulle into strips first, in my case I just laid it down and cut it with a rotary blade every so many inches.  You tie it in the middle of the strip you cut.  Here is what I ended up with-

The fuller you want it the more tulle you tie on.  Also, you can cut it as short as you wish, make the edges more tulip like or jagged, whatever you want really.  She won first prize by the way, so I thought it came out really well.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
love.is.a.battlefeild
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007 10:53:16 PM »

thank you guys so much!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.peace.
dyno
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007 11:29:25 PM »

artisticnightmare,
that's a fantastic solution for a no-sew tutu.  and the costume looks great!

Can I ask how you tied the strips of tulle on:
did you fold in half, make a loop and pull the ends through (see left)? or just use a regular knot (see right)?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
L_is_for_lobotomy
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007 08:56:18 AM »

i know there's a couple of tutorials floating around here somewhere.

however, i second the question of how much tulle to buy. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dyno
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007 01:21:39 PM »

edited to consolidate posts, fix images and generally make more sense

WOOO. MORE TUTU TUTORIALS...

love.is.a.battlefei ld you may want to edit the title to indicate there are some tutorials and tutorial links in this thread, to help others in the future. Smiley

NO-SEW TUTUS:

1.) see artisticnightmare's post above for a great option

2.) Dorothy madness and tutu much fun
from fellow craftster fromvenuswithlove, scroll down for the tut (link also on next page)

3.) Kiddley's No-sew tutu
this is for kids, but can easily be modified for adults

SEWN TUTUS:

1.) see junquette's post above for a good description

2.) dyno's tutorial (see below)
love.is.a.battlefei ld asked me for my illustrated tutorial, so I posted it here

3.) Black and red tulle tutu skirt - now w/ tutorial
I also found this other tutu tutorial by fellow craftster darkfaeriedrowning

4.) TuTu Girl
worth checking for design reference. 3 different styles of tutus: poofy, classic, princess
These are also for kids, but should easily be adapted for adults. You can purchase instructions from the link above ($16.99-$37.99). DISCLAIMER: I've never used them, so I can't vouch for the instructions.

dyno's illustrated tutorial

here's the illustrated tutorial I made for a sewn tutu. I've revised the original page images to fit on craftster without scaling, so now the text is readable. Hopefully this will help. Smiley There are probably typos and such, let me know if you find errors.

**NOTE***

CALCULATING YARDAGE:
The amount of tulle (netting) you'll need depends on your waist measurement and the amount of poof / gathering you want. the Preparation section below tells you how to determine the size of each panel (layer). Multiply that by the number of layers you want and you'll know your yardage.

ALTERNATE DESIGN:
Also, if you don't want the waistband to show (a "no-waistband" design), simply turn the final tutu inside out and flip the skirt layers over the elastic band. If you're layering different colors you'll need to plan accordingly so when you flip the final tutu the colors are in the correct order.

page 1

page 2

page 3

page 4

page 5

« Last Edit: February 28, 2007 09:13:04 AM by dyno » THIS ROCKS   Logged
dyno
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007 10:41:47 AM »

oh! I forgot to say... please post your tutu when it's done. I'd love to see your costume. Smiley  I have a friend that loves to dress up as a bee for costume parties.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Macromedia Flash 8 - Adding Behaviors to Buttons
Macromedia Flash 8 - Adding and Labeling Action Keyframes
Macromedia Flash 8 - Creating and Arranging Buttons
Macromedia Flash 8 - Combining Animations into One Project
Macromedia Flash 8 - Using Graphic Symbols
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...