A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,680
Currently Running With Scissors:
453 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 73
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Twinkle's Big City Knits Book Knitalong  (Read 106907 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

smrjunior
« Reply #640 on: September 28, 2007 04:04:17 PM »

yup, the parts you make at the beginning are actually the "pocket liners."  so if you want to put the pockets on, you have to make those little liners first and commit fully to the pockets. then when you get to that part of the pattern, k1, put the next 7 stitches from the sweater on a holder, k the 7 "pocket liner" stitches, k4, knit the 7 stitches from the other "pocket liner", put the next seven sweater stitches on a holder, k1.  then from that point on, you'll just keep knitting on what you've got on the needles and ignore the ones on the holder (they'll stay there until you're done with the sweater).  when you get done, you'll pick up the stitches that are now on the holder and knit them to make the visible pocket flaps, then seam the sides of those to the body of the sweater and seam the little liner to the inside.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

not another knitting blog.  no, seriously, it's just a blog.  that never gets updated.
Neuromancer
« Reply #641 on: September 28, 2007 05:35:05 PM »

Thank you!  It's too late for that, so I'll try the pockets another way.  Now my problem is figuring out the short row shaping on the neck.  When the pattern says "continue in established stripe pattern" until neck measures 13" am I supposed to continue doing short rows, or am I switching back to simple rounds?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Neuromancer
« Reply #642 on: September 29, 2007 01:37:37 PM »

Well...for what it's worth...

And here's the link back to my Flickr photo with modification notes.  I can never remember how to get that code to work:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsphotos/1459921778/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zknits
« Reply #643 on: September 29, 2007 04:41:48 PM »

looks great!  i want one!
z
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my knitting podcast (knit obsession) at: http://seezknit.blogspot.com/

http://zknitsgoods.blogspot.com/
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #644 on: September 29, 2007 04:50:58 PM »

That's really cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
honeypeaches

"Will knit for tattoos."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #645 on: September 30, 2007 09:28:33 AM »

That looks awesome! It definitely makes me want to make one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog: The Prettiest Star

Ravelry ID: honeypeaches
plcasassa
« Reply #646 on: October 04, 2007 05:23:38 AM »

I just started the BFC, and was wondering if someone could help me out, and I'm only on the 5th row!  I have 56 total stitches (Large).  When I start the 5th row, I knit 4, cable stitch 9, and purl 2, which is exactly 15 stitches before the marker, which I believe is correct.  After the marker, it says to M1, P1, and M1.  The problem is when I get to the other side, it says to Purl to the stitch before the marker and then M1, P1, M1, which puts me two stitches after the marker, and I should be right at the marker, shouldn't I, to match the other side?  If I purl 2, cable 9, and knit 4, I don't have enough stitches.  I only have 13 on that side.  Should I start three stitches before the marker to make it match the other side?  I'm stumped.  Thank you so much for any help!  Pat
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smokeyinthecity
« Reply #647 on: October 04, 2007 02:04:39 PM »

I'm in search of help too!!  I'm working on the Shopping Tunic and here's where I'm a big confused  Huh :

I CO and knitted for 7 rounds. 
Then the pattern says to k1 (2, 2, 3), place next 7 sts on holder and hold in back of work, k7 pocket sts, k4 (4, 4, 6), place next 7 sts on holder and hold in back of work, k7 pocket sts, k1 (2, 2, 3) pm, knit to end of round.

Ok, so I put the first batch of 7 sts on the holder and it's being held in the back of the work.  Then what?  What does it mean by k7 pocket sts?  Does it mean to ignore those 7 sts that are on the holder and just knit as if they weren't there?  Won't that create a gap and/or a hole? 

I'm confused and sadly I'm going to have to put this aside until I can figure it out.  Boo!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smrjunior
« Reply #648 on: October 04, 2007 02:39:27 PM »

read the last page or two of this thread, I was trying to help neuromancer understand the same part of the pattern.  but if you haven't already made the pockets at the very beginning of the pattern, those instructions will never make sense.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

not another knitting blog.  no, seriously, it's just a blog.  that never gets updated.
Neuromancer
« Reply #649 on: October 05, 2007 04:52:37 AM »

To confuse things more, here's the reply I got when I wrote to Wenlan's website:

The ideal way to do this kind of pocket is that when you knit up the where the pocket opening is, put down the sweater and cast on 7 stitches and continue making the pocket bag. In this sweater, there are 2 pockets so you need to do 2 pcs of the pocket bag. If you do not have another set of needle, you can push all the sweater body stitiches to the tube part of the needle and use the needle to make pocket and then put the pocket on holder.

When you finish both pocket bags, continue the body knitting but when you knit up to where the pocket opening are, instead of knit the original opening on the body, continue your knitting on the pocket bag but put the pocket opening on holder. When you finish the entire sweater, you come back to take care of the pocket by seam the pocket bag into the garment (just like when you seam a regular side seam) and picking up stitches from the on hold pocket opening and start ribbing and then bind off the rib opening.

I had already decided to skip the pockets, knit the sweater and then sew on pocket fronts with extra yarn.  Maybe I will try the pockets again if I knit another one.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007 04:53:42 AM by Neuromancer » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 73 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Kids Beaded Earrings
Ideas for Beaded Bracelets
Ideas for Beaded Earrings
Beading: Necklaces You Can Make
Beading: Understanding Seed Beads
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...