A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,802
Currently Running With Scissors:
597 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I need help making my veggies more interesting!  (Read 2930 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Homerof2
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: February 22, 2007 06:34:43 PM »

Sorry if something like this has been asked already - I did a search and couldn't find anything but it may still be out there.

My family and I are getting tired of eating plain old beans, peas, corn, etc.  I've looked in my recipe books and found a few recipes for making them more interesting.  I'm sure someone (or maybe many someones) can tell me what I can do with these plain veggies to make them more interesting.

About the only things my family won't eat is squash or mushrooms but any other recipes or tips are appreciated!

« Last Edit: February 22, 2007 06:36:19 PM by Homerof2 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

cheesepuff
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007 06:42:52 PM »

I got some ideals!   I like to make most all of my veggies  interesting...err  more flavorful.  My favorite is green beans sauted with tomatos and garlic.  Or try corn sauted with bell pepper, chili powder, and cumin.   How about zuchini baked with red pepper then sprinkled with fresh cilantro.  Or frozen peas spruced up with some kind of citrus, i like lemon or orange.  Another suggestion is to saute a can of green beans with some red onion and a little bit of italian dressing.  Or go with a good ol black bean combination of corn tomatos bell peppers  chili powder cumin and garlic.  Whew..im full of it!  haha   just get creative with flavors and try new stuff out.  I like to try something new atleast once a week.  I try to use up whatever I have on hand. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lady_cyanide
too weird to live, too rare to die.

hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name <3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007 07:06:06 PM »

when my fiance and i cook together, he does the meat and i do the veggies. he usually puts olive oil and italian dressing in the pan first, cooks the meat in it, and  adds whatever seasonings go right with whatever meat we're having. anywho, i cook greanbeans with garlic powder, black pepper, a splash of soy sauce, and some parmasean cheese. then he pours the leftover oil in the pan the meat was cooking in. doesn't take long to prepare at all, 10 minutes tops. taste it as you're adding everything in until the flavor is to your preference!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007 07:08:36 PM by lady_cyanide » THIS ROCKS   Logged

a pile of shit has a thousand eyes.
raining_dreams
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007 08:00:45 PM »

I agree with cheesepuff on the green beans. They taste absolutely fantastic with tomatoes and garlic. Just be careful no to overcook them.
 Asparagus sauteed in olive oil, and then spritzed with lemon juice is delicious. I personally don't eat cheese, but I have heard that tomatoes and sliced mozzerella drizzled with italian dressing/olive oil is great.
 Try some raw veggies. Salads will be eaten faster if the ingredients vary. New dressings could help make them more interesting as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Street lights dance and street lights sing
Someone cut the oxygen and took a message to the king
Announcing that he wasn't royalty
blog
vegan food blog
Homerof2
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007 06:27:38 AM »

Just reading this is making me hungry!  Thanks for all the great tips - keep them coming  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mountain_waif
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007 06:42:54 AM »

We slice tomatoes, add sliced mozzarella cheese, and sprinkle with olive oil and oregano.  It is yummy!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cheesepuff
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007 07:46:37 AM »

I forgot about one of my favorite new dishes!  So Im back  Grin   this is so good and quick.

Scalloped Taters and Veggies

2 large taters peeled and sliced
1 cup sliced carrots
1 small onion sliced
1 cup frozen peas
1/4 cup water
2 T. flour
1 1/2 t. seasoned salt
1/4 t. ground mustard
some black pepper
1 cup milk
1/2 cup cubed velveta

put the taters, carrots, onion and water in a bowl. Cover. microwave for 7 minutes.  Add the peas.  Microwave 4  more minutes.  Then in a small bowl mix the milk and seasonings. (make sure its mixed real good) then nuke that for 4 minutes stirring occasionally.  Then add the cheese to that and make sure it all melts.  Then just drain your veggies and cover them with the cheesy goodness.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007 08:00:49 AM »

ok  corn on the  cob  buttered  then  sprinkled  with  parmesan cheese.
brocolli  with  lime salt (found in liquor stores  sometimes by the tequilla)
fried cabbage  is  yummy
corn fritters???
fried yams  with cinnamon  and sugar??
squash sauteed with  onions  is  yummy
fried green tomatoes
cheesey sliced potatoes and onions
baked herbed  new red potatoes

any you need  specifics  on please feel free to PM me.

need  good  recipes  check about.com and  search what ever veggie  you  are  wantign to make  it  will give  you lots  of  ideas.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007 08:34:18 AM by jloveg » THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
wind
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007 10:07:32 AM »

Roast veg would be a nice one. I remember I watched one of the UK chef programme and he made roast carrots with honey. I tried it and it was really lovely. Just cut the carrots into chip sharp and coat it with honey, salt and pepper for a while. Roast it for 10 mins.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanna try to cook a lovely but simple meal for your loved ones?
Then visit: http://windyscorner.info
Enjoy! Smiley
naperknitmom
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007 02:49:35 PM »

I like a bit of balsamic vinegar and a sprinkle of sea salt on green beans. (My kids even like this.)
You might check out recipezaar.com for ideas. You can do a search for ingredients and sort by user ratings. If you have never used the site I highly reccommend it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Andrew Clements Talks About Nora Rowley Part 2
Sy Montgomery Reveals Her Most Noticeable Trait
Sanjaya Malakar Sings an Exclusive Song
Richard Snow Reveals His Book a Measureless Peril
Jane Costello Talks About Her Novels
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...