A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 298,755
Currently Running With Scissors:
670 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A few more of my cakes (IMG Heavy)  (Read 1014 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Craftinator
« on: February 22, 2007 04:34:34 PM »

I'm supposed to be baking a cake right now but I need a little chill-out-crafster time so I thought I'd post a few other cake pics.

This one was for a friend who had been working on getting a loan for a warehouse/office building for quite a few years to use as a community building for her neighborhood to help the other people around her have a place that could be a resource for needs and hopefully help build skills of those who need better jobs, etc.  It's quite a cool idea.  So, they had a party when they finally got the loan and closed on the building so I made this:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j131/Sheli1cp/000_2880.jpg

Then, this one was for a 50th birthday party for a friend and her hubby.  We decorated and dressed in a 50's theme.  This cake looks a bit intricate but I didn't come up with the idea on my own - I duplicated the pattern that was on the tablecloths we bought for the party:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j131/Sheli1cp/000_2883.jpg

BONUS PIC!  This is me in my prize winning 50's garb!  I don't know if you can see them but I found the coolest cat-eye sunglasses at the dollar store and some penny loafers at Goodwill!

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j131/Sheli1cp/000_2885.jpg

Ok, one more...

This is my latest wedding cake:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j131/Sheli1cp/000_3572.jpg

The drapey things on the bottom on the front aren't the nicest looking but that's because I took the cake out of the car and put it on the cart supplied by the church and when I started wheeling it away, the wheel fell of the cart and the cake tipped over!!!! AAHHH!!!  Luckily I had brought my extra frosting, tips and tools as I always do and finished redecorating right before the reception!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007 10:21:17 AM by retroeva » THIS ROCKS   Logged

cinnamon teal
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007 04:41:46 PM »

Wow!  These are terrific!!  Is this what you do for a living?  They all look awesome.

Can I share too?  This isn't one that I made, but I just think it's incredibly cute!
http://cinnamonteal.blogspot.com/2007/02/my-weekend-over-weekend-matt-and-i-went.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftinator
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007 05:10:47 PM »

Thank you!!  I have been decorating for TWENTY NINE YEARS!! **faint** and I LOVE it but the closest I've come to doing it full time is working at the local grocery store about 30 hours a week doing assembly line and corporate ordered type cakes.  That ended when I injured my finger trying to grab the handle of a door the wrong way and it wouldn't heal because I was using it, decorating cakes all the time.

I would LOVE to have my own business but am not sure how to get there from here.  I have a full time office job because I have a mortgage and teenagers and I'm the only source of big time income. 

To do a legit cake business, I would need to have a kitchen separate from the one I cook my family meals in.  Unfortunately, I don't have tens of thousands of dollars to accomplish this and don't have the credit rating for any kind of loan.  I can't up and quit my job to pursue something like that (or any of my other craft-based ideas) because I have to support my family.

I have TONS of ideas for craft-based work (selling craft project ideas to magazines and websites, selling things over the internet and in B&Ms on consignment, holding classes, maybe even doing a craft spot on the local TV channel) and have thought of doing something on the side or spending all my free time working on building something but I'm a single mom (sometimes I hate that label) and so I'm the only parent for my kids so trying to work two jobs sounds like death-of-a-family to me.  A home based business sounds like a wwoonnnnnderful idea but I can't figure out how to get there from here.

People have encouragingly told me to work hard and do it but I can't figure out how to make time for everything.  I heard that some famous crafters have started out making things at their kitchen table then WHAM! they're on TV!!  Well, how did they get from there to here??  I can't seem to figure out the middle steps.

I sure hope this doesn't sound like whining because it's not - it's trying to work through this thought process and this is where my head is right now.  I'm trying to find solutions but seem to keep running into road blocks.

Well, that was probably more info than you were expecting!  But, nonetheless, any feedback?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xx_skalicous_xx
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007 06:27:20 PM »

those look awesome =]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

[[insert something spiffy to say HERE]]
cinnamon teal
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007 08:49:40 PM »

I wish I could answer your questions, but I'm trying to figure out how to do what I love for a living, too.  Have you looked at the Crafty Business Ventures boards?  I've gotten some good feedback there before.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Convert a Color Photo to Black and White in Photoshop CS3
How to Copy and Paste Objects in Flash CS3
How to Create Old Burnt Parchment Paper in Photoshop CS3
How to Create a 3D Text Effect in Photoshop CS3
How to Create a Brushed Metal Texture in Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...