A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 300,933
Currently Running With Scissors:
621 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Painting a table with no brushstrokes?  (Read 1296 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tantrum
« on: February 22, 2007 10:56:03 AM »

I just got a coffee table off Craigslist that I want to paint. I have tried this before but I wasn't happy with the way the strokes showed up. I want a nice smooth surface. Does anyone have tips for this? Also what do you guys use to strip the finish off, or should i just sand it? I have used this Strip-eze gel junk before and it was a lot more work than promised. Anyone?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If we resist our passions, it is more through their weakness than from our strength"
pendulous threads
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007 10:59:22 AM »

i would just sand the finish off... to not get brush strokes, you could either use a sponge brush instead of a bristle brush or you could spray paint it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

on a burning bridge, your options are minimal at best depending on where you're standing and how much breath is in your chest. if it came down to it,would you high-tail home and hide or dance on fire and enjoy the ride?
tantrum
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007 11:28:31 AM »

Do they make spray paint specifically for wood? I don't want it to look cheesy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If we resist our passions, it is more through their weakness than from our strength"
Hylas
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007 05:12:40 PM »

I'd get an electric sander with fine paper and zip it over the table.  You don't have to take everything off.  Then primer it.  Use a nice brush.  Paint it with a few coats.  Seal it with 3 coats and then sand lightly.  You shouldn't see any strokes unless you glob the paint on or on a hot day.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We shall continue to have a worsening ecologic crisis until we reject
the Christian axiom that nature has no reason for existence save to
serve man.  ~Lynn White, Jr., "The Historical Roots of Our Ecologic
Crisis," 1967

heather.homelinux.org
MsChilePepper
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007 10:21:01 PM »

Yes, a vibrator sander is probably your best bet for prepping your surface.

The key to a smooth painted finish using a brush is to start at one edge and make one solid stroke alllllll the way to the other edge.  Don't dab and daub at it, because that's where you'll get visible brushstrokes.

Otherwise, you could use a roller, but the same technique applies; start at one edge and roll all the way to the other before lifting up the brush.

Yes, you can use spray paint on wood (don't get the kind made for metal, like Rustoleum).  start spraying before you hit one edge, make one solid stroke all the way across and past, and then go back for the next strip doing the same thing.  Follow the instructions on the can for how far to hold the can from the surface you're painting.  Do several light coats rather than one thick coat.  You can always add more but you can't take it off.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I own power tools, and I'm not afraid to use them!
tantrum
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007 11:03:56 PM »

thanks for the tips all. I'm afraid i don't know where to get a hold of an electric sander for free/cheap so I'll have to do that part the old fashioned way. I have big plans for this table. I'll post when finished.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MsChilePepper
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007 12:21:18 AM »

You can usually rent them for very little per day at the big hardware stores like Lowe's or Home Depot, or at rental places. Check your Yellow Pages under "tool rental".
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I own power tools, and I'm not afraid to use them!
jjm
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007 05:39:06 PM »

Most likely you'll have to do two coats of paint....be sure to sand with a extra fine sand paper in between coats, also.

If you're going to use a roller brush, they have specific rollers just for furniture.  It's a foam roller without any nap to it at all so you obtain a much smoother finish with it.

jjm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nat_attack
"We waste time looking for the perfect lover, instead of creating the perfect love." - T. Robbins

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007 06:05:18 PM »

This may be a little impractial, but maybe you could airbrush it? I know most people dont have access to an airbrush, but it's a thought!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I don't mean to seem like I care about material things, like a social status, I just want four walls and adobe slabs for my girls"
Animal Collective, "My Girls"
tantrum
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007 08:08:31 PM »

Doh! Why did i not think of that. Someone gave me a whole airbrushing set up and it has been sitting waiting for me to give it a go. I'm slaping my head over that one. Maybe if I took it out of the box I would remember that I own it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Sports Scene
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Product Photography
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Portrait Scene
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for People-in-Landscape Scene
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Panoramic Scene
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...