A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,607
Currently Running With Scissors:
480 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: beach wedding in october  (Read 3628 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shes crafty
« on: February 22, 2007 02:27:50 AM »

Hi all! 
So I just left your beautiful state last week and miss the fresh air already (I live in LA!)  I got engaged to my long term boyfriend on Bellows Beach in Oahu while there!  We're planning a to go back and get married in October.  I definately need some help if anyone can??  We are inviting our immediate family (11 including us) and some of our closest friends, maybe no more than 30-35 total guests at the most.  And of course we'll be DIYing anything we can. 

1. Venues for the ceremony?  We may go back to Bellows (east side) and get married on the beach.  We want something natural, or a very small quaint chapel.

2. Venues for the reception?  We found a great vacation rental that we may just do the reception at and have catered, but I'm afraid it may not be big enough.

3. Caterers?  I havn't found all that many on the web.  I think we want to keep with the local and do a Hawaii style BBQ.  Very casual sort of thing.

4. Photographer.  I'm prepared to spend a little cash here cause there's just no way around it.  If you know any up and comers that want to help build a portfolio or any suggestions would help.

5. Florist.  Again, I want to keep it local and what's in season.  Plus, I'm not having any attendants.  There's enough to worry about getting the two of us dressed  Cheesy

6. Officiant.  We're not really religious, but both sets of parents are.  We just don't want some new agey sort or some over the top religious "woman must obey" sort of stuff.

Is that enough  Grin??  Thank you for any and all help, it is greatly appreciated!!!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
kea
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007 03:49:29 PM »

Hi all! 
So I just left your beautiful state last week and miss the fresh air already (I live in LA!)  I got engaged to my long term boyfriend on Bellows Beach in Oahu while there! 
i'm glad you enjoyed your visit... sounds like you had a great trip...and yeah, i love the fresh air here...

We're planning a to go back and get married in October.  I definately need some help if anyone can??  We are inviting our immediate family (11 including us) and some of our closest friends, maybe no more than 30-35 total guests at the most.  And of course we'll be DIYing anything
we can. 

with a group that small, it sounds very doable...i'd love to help as i just got married last february, did tons of research and all that good stuff... we also DIY'd a whole ton of stuff to keep ours affordable...this board on craftster isn't very active so i don't check back all the time so feel free to PM me with whatever questions and such you have...

one really great resource that i used although i of course chose what suited me was theknot.com... there is a local hawaii message board
http://talk.theknot.com/boards/main_frame.aspx?page=ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=73
where you can ask questions... i don't know how it is now but it was very helpful when i was planning
Here is also a link to the list of Knotties (Knot.com members) married in hawaii... maybe you can use the pictures and such for inspiration
http://www.theknot.com/co_profileview.htm?profilename=HawaiiBrides
 as well as lots of useful bios (with pictures) at http://bios.magnificentbliss.com/specialty/

1. Venues for the ceremony?  We may go back to Bellows (east side) and get married on the beach.  We want something natural, or a very small quaint chapel.

Just FYI, i'm pretty sure all beaches in Hawaii are public and so are free to use.  You just need to arrange for an officiant and be prepared for the possibility of others on the beach...i know there are planner companies that offer beach wedding packages where they will offer various things... guess it depends on what you want and how much help you have...

2. Venues for the reception?  We found a great vacation rental that we may just do the reception at and have catered, but I'm afraid it may not be big enough.

Since your group is smaller, maybe you should consider checking out restaurants that have party rooms you can use... there are quite a few closer to downtown but i'm not sure what's available near bellows...i think i may have a vendor list somewhere but that's mostly banquet halls... *sigh*

3. Caterers?  I havn't found all that many on the web.  I think we want to keep with the local and do a Hawaii style BBQ.  Very casual sort of thing.

i know there are a few choices... if you check out the knot and can't find what you need, PM me and i will look thru my old stuff to see if i can find any vendors... i didn't really research it as we went with a venue that provided almost everything... 

4. Photographer.  I'm prepared to spend a little cash here cause there's just no way around it.  If you know any up and comers that want to help build a portfolio or any suggestions would help.

I really loved my photographer so of course i will recommend him...
it took me 3 weeks of searching thru photography websites to find someone i liked who actually fit in our budget and met our requirements...
www.jimcreedphoto.c om
if you take a look at him and seriously think about hiring him, let me know... i'd be happy to tell you a little more about him and share some of my favorite photos...

5. Florist.  Again, I want to keep it local and what's in season.  Plus, I'm not having any attendants.  There's enough to worry about getting the two of us dressed  Cheesy

We did our own flowers so i can't really help you there but i hope you can find somebody to meet your needs.
If you want, i could look thru our old wedding information from the Hawaii bridal expo and give you some names ot start with...other than that, i'd ask around the Knot...
for the local and in season part... i really recommend orchids which i went with myself and have seen many other brides choose as well... they are gorgeous, come in a variety of colors and can be hardy to avoid wilting(depending on which type you choose)... i'm also pretty sure they're available year round because of our temperate climate...
There are other local flowers you can use for a more tropical bouquet as well...i know i saw some really pretty pictures online... 
Unless you really want them, i recommend you avoid using too many roses because i've seen brides complain when the roses didn't meet expectations because apparently our climate isn't the best for growing roses...
i also don't recommend plumeria or hibiscus as they both wilt easily and will brown quickly...

6. Officiant.  We're not really religious, but both sets of parents are.  We just don't want some new agey sort or some over the top religious "woman must obey" sort of stuff.

Good luck with that... there are tons and tons of officiants here in hawaii since so many people get married here...

Is that enough  Grin??  Thank you for any and all help, it is greatly appreciated!!!!

lol... it's quite a start and i'm glad to help... one other note, since people are always getting married in Hawaii it's a good idea to book the important vendors early as there is no "off-season" here...

and i just noticed, you don't have anything about a cake...
there are lots of vendors you might want to check out but three come to mind right now... our baker "Mary Catherines Bakery" (pretty good quality for a good price) who do a lot of the cakes for local weddings...
"Cake Lava" www.cakalave.com for those who don't mind paying a little more for a unique cake...
and "the sweet stop" simply because it's located in kailua (closer to bellows i think) and i heard they have delicious and pretty cakes...

also, what were you thinking for favors?... sorry so long but i actually enjoy event planning and being crafty and all that other cool stuff...i hope you keep me updated on how stuff is going and how i can help...   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shes crafty
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007 11:50:15 PM »

Thank you so much, you've been a great help!  Holy crap, those cakes on cakelava are spectacular.  We're already trying to juggle money to get one!
We're actually thinking of something totally different for the photographer.  I've got a friend here that may do it to build her portfolio and give it a real arsty look.  I don't usually like the typical wedding shots.
I think with the reception we'll just do it at the house.  I can't imagine a lot of our family and friends actually showing up, just not that type!
I'm glad you mentioned the plumeria, I was thinking of that, but I love orchids, so I'll keep that in mind.
I'm not sure about favors.  Kinda lost on that one.  If you enjoy it, I'd love some ideas!
We decided our colors would be pewter, pale yellow and crimson.
Seriously, you've helped me so much.  Unless you elope there's so much crap to do, ugh.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
kea
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007 06:52:11 PM »

Glad to help...
the cakalava cakes are great aren't they...
unfortunately they didn't fit in our budget with our guest list...
you're lucky that you have a photographer friend as an option...
if you do the reception at the house i think you have a few options, which is cool...
how many people are you inviting? how many do you think will come?
do you want it to be casual or more formal?

i have seen a plumeria bouquet online but i think it has to be made that morning... i know from experience that they are fragile flowers...
i love orchids too... depending on whether you're gonna DIY or hire a florist they are very durable.. but also a pain to work with if want a whole bouquet of orchids...
if you're gonna DIY i recommend a mixed bouquet including orchids or that you buy the bigger orchids... since you don't have attendants it will be easier whichever way you decide to go...
i guess favors are something you can decide once you get a bit further along because there are so many possibilities... it sometimes helps if you have already decided on a theme or even a just a feeling you want to head for... do you want whimsical? tropical? bold? elegant? exotic? etc etc...haha... i sound like a crazed bride but i have an excuse, really i do... i did all the research for mine cuz we were on a budget so i have lots of info floating in my head...

your colors sound pretty... we didn't have a theme but colorwise most of our things ended up being black, white, kelly green and apple/lime (aka bright) green...

oh, for food and favors, keep in mind the humidity here... stuff like chocolate can melt if you aren't careful...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
honeydew
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007 06:58:36 PM »

For catering, you might look into The Food Company, in Kailua.  Brenda (the owner) is just great, and her food is really ono (yummy Smiley ) -- local style, but not _quite_ as heavy as some of the real "local kine" stuff. 

Their phone is 808-262-6440.  She has a little cafe restaurant in Enchanted Lakes in Kailua that I eat at all the time. 

If you did get married at Bellows, Kailua is the next town north from Bellows - maybe 3-4 mile drive tops from Bellows.

Good luck - and enjoy your engagement!  It's a wonderful time.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lilikoiknits
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007 03:44:40 PM »

I'm having Indigo Restaurant cater my wedding. Their food is amazing.  http://www.indigo-hawaii.com/catering.html
We will have buffets for side dishes/"composed salads" and then they will be grilling various meats.

I've also heard good things about the catering from Kakaako Kitchen. I love the food they have at the restaurant, and they are affiliated with 3660 in the rise, which is one of Honolulu's top restaurants.

I've also heard great things about http://www.ginniberries.com/  and http://www.catertome.com/

I'm getting my cake from Mary Catherine's Bakery. They don't have a website, but their prices and cake are great. I can get you some scans of their brochure if you want.

I can echo that the Hawaii Knot board is great. The other boards there tend to be horrible, but the Hawaii girls are so helpful and even if you just lurk you can learn a ton.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
tiffanyjean
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008 02:53:08 AM »

for a location- if your doing a small wedding you might look into renting a vacation home; Waialua which is near Haliewa has some really nice rentals that are right on the beach. The nice thing about that beach is its fairly private, the closest park is about 4 blocks away. One thing about the rentals is some have a "no partys" clause where they can charge you extra.

For flowers you may check out China Town lei shops- they are very reasonable- we spent about $50 for 3 bouquets; and about $100 or 200 on leis for the parents (really nice ones) and for all (80) guests.

I'll try and get pics- once I'm on a computer, and not my phone. Smiley

If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Tiff
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Wear Over-the-Knee Boots
Vintage Bowles - Nina Ricci at Chantal Dagommer Paris Shop
From the Vogue Closet - Pretty in Pink
Vintage Bowles - The 1980s Auction at Drouot in Paris
Jeanius - Florence Kane Fashion Tips
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...