A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,089
Currently Running With Scissors:
689 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: any suggestions for pterodactyl costume??  (Read 4556 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

webfootedmoose

what's so amazing that keeps us stargazing?

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2004 11:01:05 AM »

my girlfriend and i are making dinosaur costumes for halloween.  she is going to be a pterodactyl, we bought footie pajammas and are adding the extras on, if you have any ideas on how to make a cute really cheap pterodactyl, i would really appreciate the help
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nicegirl512
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004 01:06:57 PM »

I'd guess that the two basic things you might want to add to footie pajamas to make a pterodactyl are wings and a beak. 

For the wings, buy some dowels, maybe 5/8 inch in diameter--strong enough so they won't break, but not too heavy.  Cut them off to be the length of the arms of the pjs, extending a few inches over the shoulder blade.  Get some fabric to use for the wings, if you can find a shiny ripstop nylon in black I think that would be perfect, but you could also consider black lycra or even black pleather (depending on what the inside of the pleather looks like).  Cut the wings to be as long as the dowel + 2 inches, and to hang down about to your waist if you're holding your arms out.  Make the bottom jagged.  You can either leave them as is, or shape them by hand sewing thinner dowels as "veins" in them or using nylon boning for shaping.  I think they'd be fine without any structure, but if you want structure I'd think the boning would be less uncomfortable for wearing than the dowels.  Get the kind of boning that comes in a black fabric casing.  Make a casing at the top of the wing by folding the fabric down about 1 1/4 inches and sewing along the entire top length of the wing.  Push the dowel into the casing, and sew the ends closed (using the extra two inches) to encase the dowel.  Then handsew to the back of the sleeves of the footie pjs using a whip stitch.

For the beak, you can either make one that fits over your nose using craft foam and glue (craft foam doesn't sew very well, at least for me) and attach it with spirit gum or an elastic band that goes around your head, or use an old baseball cap, spray paint it your desired color (black?) and attach the beak to the brim (trimming the brim as necessary) and gluing eyes (made of felt or craft foam) above the beak.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have an Etsy Shop for my jewelry!
stopmoshun
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004 04:19:57 PM »

you could also use an umbrella for wings. Chop it in half, and each side can be a wing. I'm sure there are green or blue umbrellas out there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sticky Toffee Pudding Recipe
How to Make Almond-Orange Shortbread Cookies
How to Make a Clafouti
Apple Crisp Oatmeal Cookies Recipe
Easy Pear Tart Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...