A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,546
Currently Running With Scissors:
497 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Am I knitting? (Warning: Lefty)  (Read 1233 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Petunia0384
« on: February 21, 2007 01:27:36 PM »

Okay, I apologize in advance for what may be the dumbest question that has ever been asked on Craftster...  But in my defense, I'm trying to teach myself to knit from books and videos online, and I have no idea if what I'm doing is right.  I'm a crocheter, I've been trying off and on for a few months to learn to knit with no luck.  I finally broke down and bought some bamboo needles, size 13.  Suddenly, things I read clicked, and I started creating fabric last night...  The thing is...  I have no idea if I'm actually knitting or if I'm just making random knots or something.  There's really no one I can ask in person, because I don't know any Continental knitters...  So I thought I would ask here. Smiley  Is what I have here actually knitting?

Here is a picture of what I have:

And here is a link to a much larger version of the picture, where you can see the stitches much more clearly:

http://i15.tinypic.com/33kryw9.jpg

If I am actually getting the process down right, I'm clearly doing something else wrong...  Maybe it's my tension?  I'm using merino wool, if that matters.  Help?  Advice?  Comments?  I would appreciate any of them greatly!  I really want to learn, but I'm kind of lost without anyone to teach me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shainna Smiley

"To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." -Tennyson
honeydew
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007 01:33:23 PM »

Yep! Nice cast on edge there.  Try to relax a little Smiley  The nice thing about bamboo is that it is grippy enough that your work won't slide off, so you can leave a little more slack in your loops while you're still figuring it out.  (the exceptions are the edge stitches -- I try to pull those tighter than I would on other stitches to have a tidier, less loopy, edge.)  Stick with it Smiley You're definitely getting the hang of it.

edited to add -- tension is probably the most difficult thing to master.  I had a heck of a time when I started (on aluminum needles) b/c if I knit loosely, I'd lose my work as I clutzily turned my work, and if I knit tightly, well, my hands hurt and I could barely knit the stitches, and it looked awful.  But you'd have to pry it off those needles, by god!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007 01:35:24 PM by honeydew » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lipzilla
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007 01:36:14 PM »

Hard to tell the stitches from the pic, but here's a website that has clear videos of beginner's knitting stitches for continental knitters as well - hope it helps !

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/getting_started/index.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Krisnotes
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007 01:51:18 PM »

Looks good to me Grin Congrats! You are on your way dear. Just take it slow and breathe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's a toothpaste on the wrong side of the toothbrush kind of day.
cinnamon teal
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007 01:55:06 PM »

Congrats!  You're a knitter!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Star217
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007 02:11:43 PM »

It looks like you are getting the knit stitch down. I'm a lefty too and I know what a pain it is to convert anything. If you have questions PM me I'll be glad to help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Unable to leave good enough alone!
My Store
http://stickyfingers.etsy.com

My Blog
http://stickyfingerscrafts.blogspot.com
Petunia0384
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007 02:17:07 PM »

Yayyy, I'm so excited.  Grin  I'll just do what I did when I learned to crochet...  Practice, tear it out, practice, tear it out, repeat x200 Wink  I'm going to come home and practice more tonight!  I actually like it better than crocheting, as far as the movements go.

Tension was a big problem I had with crocheting at first too, so I figured I might be doing something similar with the knitting.  I'm just happy I stopped poking myself in the head in the head with the needles (yep, that happened). 

The bamboo made a HUGE difference...  I kept dropping stitches of the needles with aluminum, plastic was too bendy, but bamboo feels nice and has an excellent grip.

Thanks for your help and patience with my silly question. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shainna Smiley

shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007 02:22:33 PM »

Something I've learned - knit at least the length of your hand before you decide it's wrong. Ribbing and cables don't show up well until you've got at least 4 rows IME....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames .com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
ellie.henry
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007 03:11:09 PM »

I am a continental knitter too! I am not a lefty, but that Is just.... how I learned to do it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Petunia0384
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007 04:08:59 PM »

Something I've learned - knit at least the length of your hand before you decide it's wrong. Ribbing and cables don't show up well until you've got at least 4 rows IME....

That's a good point.  Now that I've knitted a few rows on top of what I showed you guys, I can see how it connects together and looks like knitting. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shainna Smiley

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...