A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 304,884
Currently Running With Scissors:
529 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: afghan question (I need outside input)  (Read 681 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tenille
« on: February 21, 2007 07:44:11 AM »

Ok, I'm making a wedding present for my cousin and his fiance. We all know that the girl usually ends up decorating so i chose colors I thought she would like. I decide to make two afghans, one in kind of a guy looking pattern and one in a girly pattern but both in the same colors so that (and I know that this sounds cheesy) they'll both be individual, but still be a matched set "just like the couple". I had to say it. My dilemma is a simple one however. I've finished the girly afghan and I need to start on the 2nd, but I can't decide whether to do the big strips in sage green or in the cream color. I'm leaning towards the green but I just can't make up my mind. Here is the afghan I'm going to make. It's gonna look like missamorph's afghan on this thread  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=93355.0

Here are a couple of pics of the first afghan so that you can see the colors I'm using.

The lights not so good in this one and I've got it folded double, but you should get the general idea.

here's a close up of one of the strips with better light

I'm thanking, in advance, anyone with any input. I'm in decision limbo right now.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007 09:11:24 AM by Tenille » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm on Ravelry Now!!! my usrname is Libraryhooker

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tenille
www.libraryhooker.blogspot.com

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it."-Terry Pratchett
Muzzymom86
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007 07:51:49 AM »

Very nice.  I like these two colors together.  I think you should use the green more in the other one.  The link to the second one doesn't give the right post.  It only gives the index.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007 08:43:50 AM »

I think more green in the other one would be the best. I checked out the afghan in the other post (if you copy and paste the link it works), and I think more green would be more "masculine" looking. If you think it'll be too much green, you could always make the green stripes a little less wide. What color will you be using as a third color  (assuming you do use one, like missamorph did)?

And, I really like your first afghan! Did you make a bunch of individual strips and then crochet them together? I'm always intimidated by afghans- they seem like a forever kind of project- but if I did one strip by strip, I might be able to manage!  Wink Now, if I could just be brave and attempt to crochet two separate pieces together (I have some granny squares and yo-yos waiting to be united...).  Grin

I have a cousin getting married in the summer...now you've given me an idea for her shower gift...

Can't wait to see the finished afghan!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
Kurtzie
Kurtzie

kitty feet

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007 08:46:13 AM »

beautiful work on the "girly" afgan. I agree go with more green for the "manly"  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps, PM me!

My ETSY! Including Hooker on the Go Keychains!
http://LittleGemsbyKari.etsy.com
sunnyskies*4*
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007 08:51:15 AM »

Great work!

I agree with the others that the next one should have more green in it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~Sunnyskies~~
Tenille
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007 09:10:47 AM »

What color will you be using as a third color  (assuming you do use one, like missamorph did)?

I guess you can't tell, but there are three colors in the pictures. sage green, white and a creamy color that's called Aran. I'm planning to use the same three in the 2nd afghan. There's another picture on my flickr site at http://www.flickr.com/photos/tenille where you can maybe see the color change from white to aran better.

And, I really like your first afghan! Did you make a bunch of individual strips and then crochet them together? I'm always intimidated by afghans- they seem like a forever kind of project- but if I did one strip by strip, I might be able to manage!  Wink

It is made in strips. It was only supposed to be sewn together at the tops of each shell stitch on the outer edges, so what I did was whip stitch around the top of each shell stitch and then weave the yarn through the single crocheted edges until I got to the top of the next shell stitch. That way I only have two ends to weave end for each section joined. I could just imagine the nightmare of doing each point of contact. Most of my other projects I just whipstitch the pieces together. You can even just put pieces with tright sides together and single crocet through both pieces to join them. It looks really cool that way when you use a contrasting color. It's not hard at all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it."-Terry Pratchett
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007 09:51:03 AM »

Thanks for the info Tenille! I guess I'll have to give joining things a try... Grin

And, looking closely at the detail pic, I can see the three colors- very nice! I may steal your color scheme for my cousin's afghan- who cares what her colors are? Just kidding...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
Homerof2

Loving life being a full-time wife

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007 05:59:05 PM »

Great job on the girly afghan - what a fortunate couple that you are giving them 2 afghans!

I agree with the rest, I'd do the larger stripes in green.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

R3n331
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007 06:06:45 PM »

Hey thats Nice, Great job
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tenille
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007 06:15:54 AM »

Ok, green it is for the large stripes. I'll post both afghans in the completed projects when I finish and leave a link in here when I do. Thanks again everybody!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Faux Bois Giftwrap
How to Make Custom Gift Bows
Homemade Christmas Tree Decorations
How to Make Candy Cane Mice
How to Make Glittered Holiday Cards
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...