A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,060
Currently Running With Scissors:
497 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: beginning photography  (Read 553 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

elmerzglue
« on: February 20, 2007 09:45:35 PM »

I have always been very interested in photography so I decided to take photography 101 this semester and I absolutely love it! I never knew that photography could be THIS FUN! I think my favorite thing is developing prints because it is such an amazing process!

Without further ado- here is my first set of prints (from first to last to show progression- because honestly, my first prints werent good at all really)

printmaking machinery

flowers

under a table

more print making machinery

a tree

random outside scene

fire hyrandt (my favorite!)

thanks for looking~

xoxo-
hilary
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Walking alone
At the hour when we are
Trembling with tenderness
Lips that would kiss
Form prayers to broken stone
- T.S. Elliot
lelila
geek.

nerd love.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007 07:01:24 AM »

I like the under the table one.  I'm in my third semester of old-skool film print-making photography... I love it.  Although I really hate developing the film.  The "random outdoor" picture is nice, too.  Hey, do you mind me sharing a little advice?  One of my photo professors gave me this advice, and it's proved more useful to me for composing shots that anything else he's ever said.  He said to me, always look at your background.  It's so easy to get wrapped up in the subject, but everyone's shots can benefit from checking out what's in the background, too.  The rule-of-thirds also rocks my socks off.  Grin

PS: It makes me so happy to know that other schools are still teaching film photography!  It's a dying art... that's what I'm doing my senior integration paper on this year!  Poor film photography...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will private swap for handspun yarn!

My wists.

KER+ Exp+ SPM+(+) Bam++@ Syn+@ Wool+(+)@ Stash++ Scale- Fin--  Ent+ Tex++ Lace++ Int-@ Flat++ Circ+(-) DPN+ !Swatch-- FO+ WIP++ W+@ ALTSw(++)
elmerzglue
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007 04:35:43 PM »

thank you for the advice!
I am actually in college and am majoring in art so I decided a photography class would be a good way to go! I love it so much, and it is a dying art, but hopefully soon people will realize how beautiful it is and it will pick back up. I am DEFINITELY having a dark room in my house!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Walking alone
At the hour when we are
Trembling with tenderness
Lips that would kiss
Form prayers to broken stone
- T.S. Elliot
starshine_shroom
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007 06:53:45 PM »

i'm in my 2nd semster of photo and i love it too! i'm not very good at drawing so when it comes to photo i can put my artistic views on to paper! I'm so happy you enjoy it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Peace, Love & Harmony,

Aesderina

I got Raverly!!! name is aesderina!

Check out my blog: http://illuminatingsoul.blogspot.com
zombiekilla

I don't mean to impose, but I am the Ocean.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007 08:52:04 PM »

for a first time you have done an awesome job!! Its hard to get a clear print.
I used to student teach photography in High school, and worked at the towns newspaper.
If you keep an eye out on ebay you can find cheap darkroom equipment. I got my WHOLE set up (enlarger, timer, print washer, enlarging easel, other little odds and ends) for just under $75 with shipping. I also bought my 35mm pentax there for $32 with shipping.
A neat site to check out for photo tips is www.thephotoforum.c om
good luck and keep shooting!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shaninja

South Korea's got Seoul

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007 10:03:12 AM »

i apologize ahead of time.... sorry... i felt like i needed to vocalize my critiques and tips..

actually my favorite is the tree picture. it has great composition... though it's placed in the center (and has the potential to make the photo look like it's 2 seperate ones) it works because of the foliage around it. i also love the contrast between the organic forms (the tree) and the geometric forms (the building). also.... <3..... the tonal contrast!! i love when photos have great tonal contrast. it makes the photo way more appealing to the viewer.

don't underestimate the importance of negative space!
i don't think the tree photo would have worked as well without the sky peeking through at the top. i even like how you can see the ground wrap around the taller.. foliage(?) on the left side.
the photos that were taken inside are a little dark and they need a little more contrast i think.
the flower one has great potential! it just needs a little "finessing"... there's GREAT negative and positive spaces down by the the leaves of the flowers.
just play with the composition a little! also don't forget you can also change your whole composition in the darkroom under the enlarger (and contrast with filters!!).

oh god... i hope i don't sound too bossy or snooty.. im just trying to help...
oh god... im sorry. all these years of art school just make me wanna talk and talk and talk during "critiques". im sorry if i offended you.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3,
shan

p.s. let's talk...
(AIM: ShaninjaPANTS)
(http://www.myspace.com/yeong/)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to draw Raphael from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
How to draw Alviss from MAR
How to Draw Angelica Pickles
How to Paint Saguaro Mask
How to Draw Donut head Homer - The special Halloween video - 39th Drawing
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...