A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
450 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Yarns, the good and the bad  (Read 14282 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MarineWifeA
Princess Banana Pants

Sweet Home Arizona

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: October 23, 2007 03:14:53 PM »

i love Cascade 220 i think i have a dozen extra skeins in my stash, i also like simply soft, it's soft and easy to work with. and i have some Debbie bliss baby alpaca silk that i havnt worked with yet, but i looove the way it feels.
i hate homespun, i knitted with it once and it kept falling apart, i admit i was pulling it too tight but i hated it. i also really like eyelash yarns but i am yet to try crocheting with them, i have only knit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love. ~Albert Einstein
lshah77
« Reply #131 on: October 23, 2007 06:00:49 PM »

My favorite wool yarn is probably Jo Sharp's DK wool - yummy.  I've touched Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk yarn, and it feels sooo deliciously soft!  Haven't actually crocheted with it, since even $5.00 a skein (on sale) is a little rich for my deflated pocketbook.  Maybe when Christmas rolls around...

My favorite acrylic is TLC Essentials - softer than Red Heart SS, but still affordable.  Vanna's Choice may be taking that spot soon - love the colors and the yarn seems soft but durable.

Least favorite yarns: Lion Brand Thick N' Quick Chenille - just too slippery - and Lion Brand Homespun - no stitch definition and it feels... brassy.  Strange description, I know, but can't think of a better word.  Anyway, I end up donating evil yarns to a local thrift store.  Good riddance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dawn76
« Reply #132 on: October 23, 2007 07:42:08 PM »

Love-  any 100% cotton, Paton's SWS love the way it feels and stripes, Koigu when I can afford it I buy as much as I can, as far as acrylic ummm "I love this Yarn", from hobby Lobby and Caron SS.  I am going crazy trying to find and waiting until I can spend the money on some bamboo!

Hate- Red Heart SS i hate the sound it makes on my hook, I tried plastic and I live in the south something about the humidity that made the yarn have an even worse sound than the sound on metal hooks (imagine the sound of 50 whining kittens and finger nails on a chalk board).  All eyelash yarns or the strange "ribbon" yarns, TLC Amore and last but not least, HOMESPUN!  I made an entire blanket with Homespun and by the time I was done I was ready to hook out my own eyes! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
leppardess

my cats walk all over me...

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 24, 2007 03:20:30 AM »

Vanna's Choice may be taking that spot soon - love the colors and the yarn seems soft but durable.
Yeah, I just bought some Vanna's Choice a few weeks ago. So far, it seems promising.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #134 on: October 24, 2007 06:38:40 AM »

1. What was/is your favorite yarn to work with?
Carron Simply Soft, or Bernat Softee Chunky

Both are totally machine washable and dryable. Which is great for baby/ children gifts. Smiley

2. What did you make using this yarn that you absolutely love?
Almost everything. I've made a shrug, stuffed toys, baby sweaters, etc. Feel free to look through my posts to see some of my finished objects.
I'm working on a mini vest with the bernat softee chunky right now. Smiley

3. What was the one yarn you bought that you severely regretted (either it was a nightmare to work with, or it looked horrible when you were finished with it)?
anything boucle, or thick and thin. (like really thick and really thin). Though I like knitting with both.
I HATE red Heart. It never softens up no matter how much I wash it and it's scratchy. I have broken out from using it.(Plastic bags are softer to crochet with.)
I can't use Lion Brand Jiffy becasue it also breaks me out. And that's sad becasue I have two balls of the stuff.

4. What did you attempt to make with the evil yarn?
I'm working on a triangle shawl from the boucle but I'm knitting it.
I tried to make a scarflette from a thick and thin and couldn't work with it even with another strand of yarn with it.
the Jiffy I Bought to make my grandmother a stuffed pug and did it despite breaking out and itching!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007 06:40:13 AM by Eliea » THIS ROCKS   Logged
NerdyCrochetGal
Nerdy Weirdo with Yarn Skills

I am not ignoring you... I am counting stitches...

« Reply #135 on: October 24, 2007 06:43:06 PM »

thanks so much for all the info so far.. I think I am gonna try and locate some yarns online.. Since the yarn stores around here predominately carry red heart, and tlc.. Which is not bad, but I want to work with something fancy.. I mean xmas is coming up and the bf wants to know what to get me, so why not some pretty yarns.. keep the info coming, you guys are great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HOOKER PRIDE!!!
colorlessblue
« Reply #136 on: October 24, 2007 07:56:06 PM »

i want to use this topic to ask something as well. i have a lot of trouble to find yarn here because we mostly use cotton thread for crochet, and most yarns we have are just cheap acrilic. and i have this huge problem with them because i don't like the fuzzy surface. i'm not talking about novelty yarn or fun fur, just normal yarn. like this:

the stuff i like to work with has a smooth surface without those fibers poking out:

(this one is a cotton yarn)

(and this one is acrilic, but a lot better)
these two last yarns are all i can get here, and both in only very few colors. if i want more colors i have to use thread and double or triple strand.

my question is: what are the yarns you have that have the smooth surface i like? i saw a pic of caron simply soft that looked like that, but i think you can only be sure when you see it in front of you...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'd rather be a climbing ape than a falling angel."
Terry Pratchett
http://colorlessblue.blogspot.com/
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #137 on: October 25, 2007 08:21:00 AM »

i want to use this topic to ask something as well. i have a lot of trouble to find yarn here because we mostly use cotton thread for crochet, and most yarns we have are just cheap acrilic. and i have this huge problem with them because i don't like the fuzzy surface. i'm not talking about novelty yarn or fun fur, just normal yarn. like this:
http://pics.livejournal.com/colorlessblue/pic/0005wp3y
the stuff i like to work with has a smooth surface without those fibers poking out:
http://pics.livejournal.com/colorlessblue/pic/0005tqw6
(this one is a cotton yarn)
http://pics.livejournal.com/colorlessblue/pic/0005xhza
(and this one is acrilic, but a lot better)
these two last yarns are all i can get here, and both in only very few colors. if i want more colors i have to use thread and double or triple strand.

my question is: what are the yarns you have that have the smooth surface i like? i saw a pic of caron simply soft that looked like that, but i think you can only be sure when you see it in front of you...

Perhaps some other cotton yarns you could order are peaches and cream and sugar and cream.
Both are smooth like you like and have tons of colors.
They aren't shiny like that one but they crochet very nice and aren't fluffy.
Simply Soft is fluffy but It crochets like it's not. If that makes sense. The main problem I hear is that it splits a lot. So if you use it make sure to use an aluminum hook and not plastic. Something about plastic hooks makes it worse.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007 06:48:12 PM by kategirl - Reason: Please remove the [img] tag when quoting pictures. Thanks! » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sonjamp
« Reply #138 on: October 28, 2007 08:44:22 AM »

1. What was/is your favorite yarn to work with?
I have so many favorites! Red Heart's Misty (the heathers, not the solids), Bernat Super Value, Bernat CottonTots, LionBrand Homespun, Peacock holiday yarn.

2. What did you make using this yarn that you absolutely love?
With Misty, I've made a couple throws that are must-haves for the people I gave them to. One friend's husband called it his blanket -- when he went home from work with a back ache he whined about not having his blanket (it was dirty) and my friend had to stop what she was doing to toss it in the washing machine just to make her hubby quiet down. He even asked me if I would take it back and add more to it so he could have it on their bed.

3. What was the one yarn you bought that you severely regretted (either it was a nightmare to work with, or it looked horrible when you were finished with it)?
A Lion Brand wool (wool ease? thick-n-quick? not definite) that was a thick-and-thin yarn. I hate it. The finished project is okay, but it was a pain to work with. The thin parts of the yarn pulled tight and made it difficult to get the hook back in.

4. What did you attempt to make with the evil yarn?
Initially I tried out several different patterns (a hat, a scarf ...) I ended up making a striped throw that gets used all the time in my living room.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Digital Angel
« Reply #139 on: October 28, 2007 08:04:55 PM »

I really loved Cascade 220. It has great stitch definition and felts really well. Right now I've been using Knit Picks Swish Superwash, it's pretty soft and comes in a some great colors, but for worsted, I think it's a little thin and messed with my gauge a bit.

I really dislike Patons Divine. You can't see your stitches, and it's almost impossible to rip back. I was cursing the entire way through.
There was some weird Italian variegated nylon furry yarn I bought at Michael's was incredibly soft, but the way it looked when crocheted was terrible.
Lion Brand Homespun is pretty terrible too. The start of it was messed up on several skeins and I had to cut a bunch of it off before starting, center thread breaks easily, the ends fray easily, and the dyelots vary immensely (bad mistake on my part).
Red Heart is like a rope, it hurts your hands to work with. The only thing I can make with it is rag rugs, because I really don't want to wear it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Write Scripts in Hollywood
The State of American Screenwriting
How Film Contributed to the American Identity
The Globalization of Hollywood
Making Futurist Films
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...