A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 301,984
Currently Running With Scissors:
428 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Yarns, the good and the bad  (Read 16882 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CrochetAdikt

splish splash i was takin a bath

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 06, 2007 06:23:41 PM »

hi,
  if you end up dying wool yarn, you won't need the sodium ash solution. you can just use 3/4 part water to 1/4 white vinegar. soaking it for at least 4 hrs is good but over night is even better. it helps draw the color into the yarn. have fun!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

andi_sunrider
« Reply #121 on: July 07, 2007 12:05:24 AM »

I haven't tried any of it yet, but I was caressing the bamboo yarn at Weaving Works in Seattle, they even had a sample ball instore for people to try out working with. It's just so soft, and not in the slightly itchy way that wool sometimes has.

I also just finished a purse with Phoenix Soysilk tape stuff, and it's lovely. The texture is interesting, and it's also really soft! Can you tellI'm tactile?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LusciousPearl.etsy.com
I'm a sewer, and artist, and generally all-around creative person with more fabric in my stash than I know what to do with!
NerdyCrochetGal
Nerdy Weirdo with Yarn Skills

I am not ignoring you... I am counting stitches...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #122 on: October 18, 2007 09:18:06 PM »

I recently decided that I need to get out of using cheap acrylic yarn all of the time. I am just so scared that I am going to buy some pretty fancy expensive yarn just to find that it's a nightmare to work with. So I decided I would write on here and ask opinions from all you crafty peoples. So here are my questions:

1. What was/is your favorite yarn to work with?
2. What did you make using this yarn that you absolutely love?
3. What was the one yarn you bought that you severely regretted (either it was a nightmare to work with, or it looked horrible when you were finished with it)?
4. What did you attempt to make with the evil yarn?

If there is anything you would like to share with me about yarn I would love anything and everything all you wonderful people have to share. Thanks for your time and your posts! *hugs*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HOOKER PRIDE!!!
KidArtemis
Planet Express Delivery Gal

WE GOT MOVIE SIGN!

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 19, 2007 05:46:08 AM »

My most hated yarn is probably Caron Simply Soft and Be Mine (I forget the brand name, might be Paton's). I did a chain with the Be Mine and couldn't even see where to put my hook in to do a sc. It's a horrible yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've always done what I do. I'm doing what I do, way I've always done and the way I'll always do it.
leppardess

my cats walk all over me...

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 19, 2007 07:48:19 AM »

I would probably have to say that I really love Caron One Pounders and Simply Soft. I have projects going with both those yarns right now. Some yarns that I've never crocheted with but knit with that I love is Moda Dea Washable Wool and Jo Ann's Sensations Tesoro (which, I think they discontinued because I can't find it any more...).

Yarns that I hate crocheting with is anything loopy/boulce/fun fur kind of yarns.

The yarn that I bought that I regretted was Jo Ann's Rainbow Boulce in the huge skein. I thought about making a shawl or something with it but try as I might, that was the hardest stuff to work with. I ended up throwing it up against the wall on more than one occasion. I'll probably use it for stuffing for a pillow or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KittyCreates

So much crafting, so little time...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: October 20, 2007 01:07:45 PM »

The yarn that I bought that I regretted was Jo Ann's Rainbow Boulce in the huge skein. I thought about making a shawl or something with it but try as I might, that was the hardest stuff to work with. I ended up throwing it up against the wall on more than one occasion. I'll probably use it for stuffing for a pillow or something.

I had the same horrible experience with JoAnn's rainbow boucle.  I actually crocheted a sweater out of it, but it was so rough and ugly that I frogged it, and the yarn sat in the bottom of my stash until I cleaned it out.

I have just recently decided to get rid of (almost) all acrylic yarns and start from scratch with my stash.

Some of my favorite yarns are Cascade 220 (felts so beautifully!) KnitPicks Swish Superwash (merino softness with washability) and KnitPicks Shine Sport (supersoft cotton blend)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I would go out tonight, but I haven't got a stitch to wear"

http://kittyscreations.wordpress.com/

http://www.ravelry.com/people/KittyCreates
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: October 20, 2007 09:55:21 PM »

As far as acrylics, I hate Red Heart but like Caron Simply Soft. My fave yarn is cotton, I love the Bernat handicrafter 1 lb-ers. The worst yarn I think I ever used was a mohair type yarn, not only was it a massive pain to work with (I ended up using a strand of it along with a strand of size 3 crochet thread in a contrast color just to be able to see my stitches), but I also think I am allergic to it, it makes me sneeze and have a runny nose. Ick! I really really hate knitting with Lion Homespun, but I don't mind crocheting with it too much as long as I use a big enough hook. I made some baby booties in a bamboo yarn a couple months ago (patton? bernat? I don't remember, but I recognize it when I see it) and it was awesome to work with!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007 09:56:35 PM by maremare312 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 2/12

~The 2015 Quiltalong! is up and chugging along! Come join us!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
Fruitloops
« Reply #127 on: October 20, 2007 10:27:53 PM »

I just started working up some Pakucho organic cotton, it's so nice. I'm making a nb sized BICO and some booties with it. I also like pretty much any 1 ply worsted or bulky wool. I love the texture.

Eww I'm discusted with some Red Heart I picked up the other day. It feels like rope! But I'm only using it for a bag so it no so bad. And I refuse to work with fun fur stuff. I tried and it didn't like me lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
leppardess

my cats walk all over me...

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 21, 2007 12:45:11 AM »

I really really hate knitting with Lion Homespun, but I don't mind crocheting with it too much as long as I use a big enough hook. I made some baby booties in a bamboo yarn a couple months ago (patton? bernat? I don't remember, but I recognize it when I see it) and it was awesome to work with!
Ironically, I like knitting with Homespun as long as I'm using size 13 or bigger needles  Shocked

I have yet to try the bamboo yarn from Bernat but I'm eager to give that a go as I've heard such nice things about bamboo yarn in general. I wanted to try the Bernat Alpaca but when I picked it up to look at it, it felt... rough for lack of better term so I put it back LOL

Red Heart is rough but honestly, it does soften up quite a bit after it's been washed a few times so I keep buying it if I want to make a cheap afghan.

Cotton is okay (I've used all the major brands... Sugar & Cream, Peaches & Cream, Bernat Handicrafter [gotta love the huge skeins...]) and those are okay for dish cloths, market bags and I even made a tank top from a cone of Peaches & Cream that turned out decently enough. The only thing I don't like about making wearables out of cotton is the shrinkage factor. Thankfully, I made my tank top large enough to where it didn't shrink so bad that I couldn't wear it anymore LOL

Oh, one other fave of mine lately is Bernat Softee Chunky. I've got an afghan, hat and a sweater in the works with that brand of yarn and I can't be more pleased with how it's turning out. A wool blend alternative to Softee Chunky is Paton's Shetland Chunky. Same weight, wool blend (machine washable too but they recommend flat drying). Shetland Chunky is, to me, just about as soft as Softee Chunky but more expensive (I think it's about $4 something at Jo Ann's while Softee Chunky is $1.67 at Walmart).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rsski
« Reply #129 on: October 23, 2007 12:47:08 PM »

I love Lion Brand Thick and Quick to make men's scarves, paton's merino wool to make women's scarves, and Red Heart Acrylic for projects that call for acrylic.

I don't like any of the boucle yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
End Game in Backgammon
Middle Strategy Tips in Backgammon
Starting Rolls in Backgammon
End Game in Backgammon
A Middle Strategy in Backgammon
Latest Blog Articles
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak
Tute Tuesday: July 4th Light Up the Sky Hat

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...