A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,222
Currently Running With Scissors:
664 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Yarns, the good and the bad  (Read 14844 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

leesespieces
lisa a crochet!

"lisa's going to decorate it" - dirty dancing =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: August 02, 2006 09:03:00 PM »

hi guys, so i just started crocheting again, after 3 months of sewing, i got bored and wanted a challenge. so i began to build my little portfolio of patterns (stuff i've found online) for amigurumis and bags, mostly, because the amigurumis are good practice and they turn out soo cute, and handbags are my passion lol. but anyway, after trying my hand at a few projects and rummaging through my yarn stash that i'd stolen from my mother long ago and adding to it with a dozen different textures of black and pink yarn (my favorite colors), i started to figure out how much the type of yarn you use can alter the look and feel of a project. now, of course, i'm beginning to get picky again (i hope it doesn't go as far as it did with my fabric obsession). and i finally found this really easy looking great bag pattern, here: http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/sanibel/sanibel.html that i want to make. the thing is, however, i really don't like that yarn they recommend, i want a solid, smooth, soft, sturdy surface. and i'm beginning to realize that that cheap acrylic yarn, ya know, like red heart and the general yarn, is great for amigurumis and stuff, but it's not soft and it ends up looking a little too homemade for my taste.

so after all that lol, my questions are, what kind of yarn and what brand would you guys recommend for a soft, sturdy, solid bag, and what kind of yarn do YOU like to use on your projects??? (also, where do you get it would be good too, i only have 2 michael's and a joann's around me) thanks guys!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

seamshistoric
« Reply #111 on: August 02, 2006 09:09:14 PM »

I'm afraid I can't put any suggestions here, but I actually have the same question. I've only made a few projects so far, but I've only worked with super saver and caron yarn, and I don't like either. We -do- have a place called knit escape near my home, but the prices are too much for my beginner skills!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tria
« Reply #112 on: August 03, 2006 02:29:02 PM »

I made a purse not long ago with 100% cotton "Sugar and Cream" yarn from my local craft store.  I think they spell it that way.  Or maybe it's a cutesy spelling like "Sugar -N- Creme" or whatever.  Anyway, it's pretty easy to find, it worked really well, and would probably do just fine for your bag.

For other stuff, I usually end up going acrylic, just because it's cheap & easy to find.  Caron SuperSoft is a bargain and doesn't feel as "prickly" as that old Red Heart stuff.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
christinacoghill

My biggest fans!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #113 on: August 03, 2006 05:44:24 PM »

I love natural fibers! My second favorite yarn to use Brown Sheep lamb's pride. It is a 85% wool and 15% mohair. when you felt it, it does get fuzzy, but it is so soft. I normally get a skein of 180 yards or so for around $7.00. 

My first favorit is this brand noro, anything by it! its natural fibers and has super cool colors, but its expensive.
http://www.theknittinggarden.com/no-silkgarden.htm
http://www.theknittinggarden.com/no-iro.htm
http://www.theknittinggarden.com/no-kureyon.htm
http://www.theknittinggarden.com/no-kochoran.htm  this one has angora in it
http://www.theknittinggarden.com/no-silverthaw.htm

see where all of money goes?!  I just love good yarn! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cottontop
« Reply #114 on: August 03, 2006 07:13:39 PM »

I love natural fiber yarn and I'm usually very cheap (big exception last weekend when I for the first time spent a ton of $$$ on new yarn, got carried away by a local yarn store's GoingOUtofBusinessSale...20% off is NOT a bargain!!!)

So I hunt down good wools etc at thrift stores. Have even gotten gorgeous vintage-but-good-as-new mohair skeins with the original paper labels still on!). I also buy thrift store sweaters out of good wool and unravel them--(Gotta be sure the seams are NOT cut--seams are ok just as long as there are no yarn ends, just knitted selvedges. Have to undo the seams carefully though. Also watch out for fuzzy yarn, it can be really hard to unravel).

You can get really great yarn really cheap that way.

If you're not sure it's wool/ cotton, learn to do the burn test and sneak a little snippet of the yarn outside the store (or just ask) and burn it with a lighter. It's super easy to find out if its animal fiber, cellulose (ie cotton, rayon, linen, hemp) or synthetic and even if its a mix of the above, just by burning a short piece and smelling the smoke and feeling the ash (cellulose smells like burning paper and leaves a talcum-powder-soft ash, wool & silk smell like burning hair and leave a crumbly ash, synthetics leave a hard ash or residue, mixes are halfway of each...

To me acryllic is awful stuff, I'm sorry if I'm offending anybody, but it's either stiff like Red heart, or weak and soft and easily pilling like Caron simply soft and all of them feel clammy, don't breathe like natural fibers and usually have an annoying plastic shine to them...And for sure don't use them for something you actually want to be warm or cool in, they are too hot if it's hot and too cold if it's really cold!!!  I admit that some synthetic yarns can look really nice though and I do use some blends and even all-synthetics like that eyelash-fake fur stuff for accents/ edgings sometimes!

sometimes I think of something / see something I want to make and look for the right yarn for it but at least as often I start with a yarn I have and try to think what would be good to make out of it...

--cottontop
THIS ROCKS   Logged
taped_on_wings
Queen of ill-fated physical comedy

Leave the politics to madmen

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #115 on: August 03, 2006 07:30:27 PM »

Caron Super Soft, TLC Amore, and Bernat Softee Chunky are all great inexpensive acrylic yarns.  They are all soft and cushy.  Softee Chunky may make a better purse though, if done in a needle/hook one size smaller.  The Caron and Bernat can both be found at Walmart, and all three at Michaels or Joanns.  For a really sturdy purse, you may want to try felting.  Lionbrand Landscapes and Patons Classic Merino Wool are my two favs.  Landscapes has a great texture after felting because it's not 100% wool.  (Again both are sold at Michaels or Joanns) 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.robotheartsquid.etsy.com
http://www.wists.com/taped_on_wings
http://theonlyevidence.blogspot.com/

Before birds get sucked into jet engines, do they ever think, "Is that Rod Stewart in first class?" ~Eddie Izzard
leesespieces
lisa a crochet!

"lisa's going to decorate it" - dirty dancing =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: August 04, 2006 10:55:10 PM »

hey, just wanted to say thanks guys - i have a TOTAL obsession with cotton now!!! i bought like 10 sugar n creams and i already made a beanie, and i decided to attempt felting this bag because i really do want it to be sturdy and last me a while, so i got me some wool, i'll let you know how it turns out, thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

weniguna
« Reply #117 on: August 09, 2006 07:11:04 PM »

www.knitpicks.com

excellent beautiful and inexpensive yarn! Plus, free shipping on orders over $40!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Algol
BookFreak

The Urban Gypsie - since 1989

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: July 06, 2007 10:45:32 AM »

I buy sugar and cream yarns and dye those w/koolaid. Wallyworld has these gigantic cones of it in light colors and you can do one of two things, either dye the yarn after you've made it into large tied loops or make the object and 'paint' the dye on.

Don't forget vinegar or something as a mordant if you want the color to stay vibrant! Faded is sexy, too...so go for it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Does that come in lime green?"
Jase
« Reply #119 on: July 06, 2007 01:37:40 PM »

For the things I do, I have fallen in love with Lion Brand CottonEase. I love anything soft and comfy and doesn't hurt my fingers when I'm working it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Model Chrissy Teigen Inspires a Long Hair Makeover
How to Get the Perfect Shade of Red Hair
ICB by Prabal Gurung Proves Static Hair Can Be Chic and Sexy
How to Do a Messy Faux Bob
Full, Loose Curls at Desigual Fall 2014 NYFW
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...