A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,548
Currently Running With Scissors:
780 Guests and 41 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My apparently lame attempt at a D20..  (Read 4943 times)
Tags for this thread: dice  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Wildfyre
« on: February 20, 2007 02:52:19 PM »

Ok, so I spent 2 days making these for my BF. They were going to be hung from the rear view mirror in his new car. I bought the fleece to match the color of his car and everything. I spent hours and 6 trips to Jo Anns on these.. burnt myself with the iron.. and guess what? He didn't like them..

So here they are. I used iron-on interfacing to try to make them more dice looking and less soccer ball.. didn't work. I think next time I'll have to get stiffer interfacing or something.

*sigh* better luck next time..

« Last Edit: November 28, 2007 01:41:41 PM by Wildfyre » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr - bonniemj

My DeviantArt - alaskanwildfyre
hyerac
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007 02:56:18 PM »

He's a dork... it's very cool in my book!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
darkladymajesta
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007 03:29:47 PM »

Awesome D20. I know I would never bve able to do somthing like that. Maybe if you suggested that the D20 should be in his room instead of from his rearview mirror. I don't like anything dangling there when I drive so maybe thats why he didnt like them?? I would cry and make my boyfriend like them XD They would definately go on my bed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MadelBlue
Blue Sees...

Tangled up in blue...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007 03:31:08 PM »

Ok, so I spent 2 days making these for my BF. They were going to be hung from the rear view mirror in his new car. I bought the fleece to match the color of his car and everything. I spent hours and 6 trips to Jo Anns on these.. burnt myself with the iron.. and guess what? He didn't like them..

What a butthead! I think they're great and obviously took a lot of time. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

how_german
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007 03:44:15 PM »

(Hopefully you won't get offended, but...) What a dick! I think that's really cute and quite clever! If I had a car it would totally rock those.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

laurennnnnnnnnn

shaniqua dont live here no more!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007 04:58:08 PM »

awww, he doesn't know what looks good then! i can tell it took a long time, it looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RissaSan
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007 05:34:13 PM »

He...didn't...like them??
Can not compute.
Do not understand.

I'm so tempted to steal the idea, I think my honey would think it was clever. These are fantastic! You did a really good job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

♥ Hate is easy, love takes courage ♥
TheWomanMonster
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007 05:39:19 PM »

Huh Awww. Bummer.  Huh

Grin I LOVE IT!  Grin
I'm totally going to show this to my geek of a love.  Cheesy

*hugs*

Well... they look squishy so it probably wouldn't hurt if you chucked it at the back of his head.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheWomanMonster. I'm crafty!
"You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star." - Nietzsche.
Wildfyre
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007 05:46:52 PM »

Wow, thanks so much for all the compliments! I'm not sure why he didn't like them, all I can figure is they weren't angular enough?

If anyone wants to makes some I really swear by the Dritz iron on letters I used. They seem to be stuck on really well and were easy to apply. Just, um, be sure you have the right side up  Embarrassed lol I used them on something else too and ended up with a couple letters upside down.. oops

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr - bonniemj

amaerin
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007 05:54:02 PM »

Yours turned out great!  He's silly for not loving 'em. 

I made one a while back out of felt, and the sides were a little more stiff.  I also read somewhere about someone making one and using plastic canvas to reinforce each face.  The iron on numbers were a great idea; I hand embroidered mine, and it took forever. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
prosaicproduce
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007 05:59:35 PM »

What a jerk! No offense, but he didn't deserve your talent.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Martyx9
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007 06:09:59 PM »

well I think they're awesome! Not that I know anything about what they should look like but i think they're just fine! you should smack him in the head w/ them if he's gonna be like that!
 Tongue Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheCraftyCat

The truth is out there... anybody got the URL?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007 06:32:14 PM »

What a great idea!  I never would have thought of that.

I wonder if my DH would go in for something like that?  I hope he's willing to settle for a D4  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wonderbean
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2007 06:56:06 PM »

You know, i honestly don't understand guys. Huh
but i'm in love with your d20. i think its perdy damn awesome!
i'm impressed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The art of being happy lies in the power of extracting happiness from common things
-henry ward beecher
poohbear92

Young Crafter!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2007 08:45:55 PM »

i really like it. i think it's really awesome! think of it this way: it's his loss!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007 12:06:55 PM by poohbear92 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

old enough to know better
young enough to do it anyways.
llacos2
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2007 08:55:39 PM »

That boy needs to learn to appreciate you and the time you spent making that for him! I can't believe he didn't like it! At least you were able to give it to him though lol I made a quilt for my boyfriend, but he broke up with me before I could give it to him  Embarrassed You know, you could just keep it for yourself if he doesn't want it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Wildfyre
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2007 09:06:39 PM »

Oh he didn't take them.. so I still have them  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr - bonniemj

eirle

Ph.D. complete. Back to crafting!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2007 10:50:37 PM »

My gamer fiance said "What!! Those look great! They're better than the plush D20's I bought at the game store for my rearview."

I just thought you'd like to know that you have at least one gamer's seal of approval. (He also says that you can send them to him if your boyfriend doesn't want them!) Smiley

I think that you deserve kudos for all the trying, trips to the store and burning yourself, in any case.

Good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Dare to Dream. Dare to believe in what is possible and instill in others the same sense of possibility." -C. Fiorina 2004
dragonslair
Crafting another baby...... Due Jan. 6th, 2011

Goth and loving it.

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2007 11:33:17 PM »

From one crafting gamer girl to another....... I LOVE THEM... I seriously need to make me some....... Maybe I need to rethink the swap package I am sending to you....... Mine might not be gamer enough for him

P.S.  The guy gamers here love them

THIS ROCKS   Logged

WILL SWAP for CLOTH diapers.........

MY LJ
http://crochet-crazy.livejournal.com

My wists
www.wists.com/dragonslair
Midnightoak
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2007 02:31:08 AM »

I agree with the rest of them, this is an excellent D20 and definitely better than the ones you buy in the shop. Our shop bought D12 is rounder than that.

As for making it crisper, I would suggest using a thin but sturdy fabric so you don't get bulk in the folds and heavy duty interfacing of some kind.
It may not be as cute and cuddly as the lovely one you already have though...

This also reminds me that I need to finish my dice related crafts, I promised my bloke a D20 beanbag and I haven't so much as cut out the fabric yet...too busy making my own geeky stuff.  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sophieangele
Two-headed girl

lacing fingers through the notches of your spine

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2007 03:26:04 AM »

Wow, thanks so much for all the compliments! I'm not sure why he didn't like them, all I can figure is they weren't angular enough?

That's not really the point though, is it? If someone gives you a gift, especially one they have taken time over, you shut up if you don't like it and be gracious anyway. It's extremely bad manners to turn your nose up at a gift that someone has taken time, money and effort over.

I however think your D20 is spiffy Smiley Nice job!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2007 04:31:54 AM »

Gamer chick here...I love 'em!

I'd use 'em in my car, too! So what if the edges aren't as crisp as a chunk of plastic? Heck, my best d20 has very rounded edges.

So if you want to send it to someone.... Wink  Grin

Seriously, it's really nice. I think they're great. Maybe your boyfriend just didn't want them in the car, and misspoke like my niece the other day? She looked at my baby sweater and said "is that the best you can do?" And she's the most appreciative of my work! normally.... so maybe he's not being a total tool....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames .com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
bango_skank
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2007 08:49:02 AM »

these are awesome. i applaud you for being so patient AND talented to make something this cool.

my only suggestion is smaller numbers, then maybe you could enjoy the shape of each side more. 

his loss.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sleeping on the interstate.
eenodol
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2007 11:24:23 AM »

It's not lame!  It's wonderful!  You did a fabulous job!  It must be your boyfriend who's lame.  And apparently a little ungrateful.   I hope he reads craftster over your shoulder..  If so..  This is for you pal!    AngryTongue  Take that! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my etsy - home of the cat hat!  also dog hats, amigurumis, crochet patterns, hippie clothes, all kinds of good stuff!  check it out Smiley

My new blog.  Crochet, recipes, whatever.
Wildfyre
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2007 01:59:10 PM »

From one crafting gamer girl to another....... I LOVE THEM... I seriously need to make me some....... Maybe I need to rethink the swap package I am sending to you....... Mine might not be gamer enough for him

P.S.  The guy gamers here love them

Oh no! I'm sure everything you're sending is wonderfull! I can't wait Smiley

And to his credit - I did ask for his honest opinion. He has Aspergers Syndrome which is a mild form of Autism.. and one of the quirks is that he is very (sometimes brutaly?) honest. Could be why I will never ever ask him if something I'm wearing makes me look fat  Grin

I'll just make his dice out of cardboard or something lol

I'm really glad everyone else liked these Smiley I'm hanging them from my rear view mirror now. They are a wee bit big, but so is my car so they go great! I'll post a pic tomorrow

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr - bonniemj

natiux

loves Hippopotamuses and Hippopotamuses love her 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2007 02:38:23 PM »

...and thats why i dont make things for boys if theyre over 6 yrs old  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have an Etsy! .. www.nataliaraya.ets y.com

Fan page...http://www.facebook.com/nataliajewelry

... and a blog...http://gravitando.wordpress.com/

Lets just leave it there!
xpaperdollx
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2007 02:47:46 PM »

awww, your boy fails at boyfriendiness if he cant appreciate a hand-made gift from his main squeeze!

They look super cute and fun!

I dont know if someone mentioned it already, but I dont think they should be used as rear-window mirror decorations....beca sue of the size, they could block your view and cops would have a reason to pull you over. (my friend got pulled over for having a big flowery lei hanging from her mirror!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wildfyre
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2007 03:53:44 PM »

LOL Well I made myself a shirt that had a picture of him and the words "I love my geek".. he liked that just fine  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr - bonniemj

dragonslair
Crafting another baby...... Due Jan. 6th, 2011

Goth and loving it.

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2007 04:04:03 PM »

Oh no! I'm sure everything you're sending is wonderfull! I can't wait Smiley

And to his credit - I did ask for his honest opinion. He has Aspergers Syndrome which is a mild form of Autism.. and one of the quirks is that he is very (sometimes brutaly?) honest. Could be why I will never ever ask him if something I'm wearing makes me look fat  Grin

I'll just make his dice out of cardboard or something lol

I'm really glad everyone else liked these Smiley I'm hanging them from my rear view mirror now. They are a wee bit big, but so is my car so they go great! I'll post a pic tomorrow

I might let him slide   ..... I am raising a 7 year old with aspergers... but always remember they are also destructive of relationships, they may just not know they are doing it.  Unfortunately I have one who has the violent tendencies that sometimes accompany the syndrome otherwise refered to as high functioning austism.  It takes a strong female to adjust to the ever changing face of autism.... good luck and stay strong... and hold your ground.

My next project a sign with the following saying.

Two Rules All Men Should Learn

Cheesy  Rule one NEVER tell a girlfriend you don't like something she made you.... Rule two IF YOU BREAK RULE ONE  ... OFFER HER A TISSUE AND LOTS OF CHOCOLATE  Tongue
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007 04:05:48 PM by dragonslair » THIS ROCKS   Logged

WILL SWAP for CLOTH diapers.........

MY LJ
http://crochet-crazy.livejournal.com

My wists
www.wists.com/dragonslair
natiux

loves Hippopotamuses and Hippopotamuses love her 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2007 07:41:26 PM »

LOL Well I made myself a shirt that had a picture of him and the words "I love my geek".. he liked that just fine  Tongue

ahhhhh that's so cute.....!!  Cheesy Cheesy... maybe something like that would be better to put on me if he doesnt likes it i'll throw the good all drama..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have an Etsy! .. www.nataliaraya.ets y.com

Fan page...http://www.facebook.com/nataliajewelry

... and a blog...http://gravitando.wordpress.com/

Lets just leave it there!
PixieSkull
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2007 08:09:32 AM »

I love it. One thing that helps edge is trimming the edges before you turn it out. All that trouble and no likey? The boys I game with are too nice to say anything mean about my crafty tendencies so I'm on the other end of the scale. I appreciate your work! Beautiful.

It's hard to make them on the smaller scale, though. Dammit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!
gilgamesh
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2007 01:04:51 AM »

just tell him you made it with love and put lots of effort in, even if he doesn't like how it looks he can appreciate that right? I think they look awesome! Excuse my stupidness but what is a D20? I'm foreign and have never heard that term before!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lisa: "You've fallen through the cracks of our quick-fix, one-hour photo, instant oatmeal society!"
tad1uk
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2007 09:27:17 PM »

its not lame. ....im not sure what exactly they are *im guessing something similar to fuzzy dice that ppl hang in their windshield are but not...?* buuuut....whatever it is...looks good. i like the colors and the soccer ball look but the numbers give it a nice twist. and i can tell you put in alot of work cuz there are alot of sections to sew together.
i doubt your bf is a jerk or anything he just didnt realize how hard you tried....ida pulled a guilt trip or made him feel bad or something cuz thats how i am... Sad haha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
seetulane
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2007 09:32:27 AM »

spiffy.  I love them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GwendyJ666
The Clever Orb

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2007 04:44:24 PM »

I certainly like it! My boyfriend thinks it's pretty cool, too... looks cuddley! You shouldn't be wasting your time with a boy who clearly has no taste in quality crafted goods....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm Crafty. Are you?
Wildfyre
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2007 04:51:56 PM »

Yikes, ok, I'm thrilled that everyone likes it but honestly.. don't be to harsh on the boy  Shocked
He's just brutally honest and somewhat of a perfectionist so I think the soccer ball look bugged him  Tongue When he realized it upset me ( a few days later) he took it back lol I'll just have to try to get a more dice looking version Smiley
Seriously though, he's worth crafting for anytime. Once he saw the Monster Manual Cover I made for dragonslair http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=154873.10 he had a swift change of mind about crafting hehe

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr - bonniemj

sarantha
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2007 11:48:50 AM »

I'm a gamer girl, too, and I like your dice - they are at least as angular as the plush d20 that we bought at a games store. I don't like the numbers too much though, because they don't look right for dice, too "sportsy" somehow. More what I'd expect on a football shirt. I'l love them with other numbers. I'd never be patient enough to sew some for myself. *Sigh*

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hallo aus Deutschland! Hi from Germany!
I'm interested in personal swaps - and if you live in Europe, we could swap some fabrics - PM me!

http://www.wists.com/sarantha
Wildfyre
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2007 12:15:32 PM »

I'm a gamer girl, too, and I like your dice - they are at least as angular as the plush d20 that we bought at a games store. I don't like the numbers too much though, because they don't look right for dice, too "sportsy" somehow. More what I'd expect on a football shirt. I'l love them with other numbers. I'd never be patient enough to sew some for myself. *Sigh*

Oooh, maybe it was the numbers then. I'll have to look online for other number options. Anyone have any ideas? I don't have the patience to embroider them..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr - bonniemj

verdilak
Craft On!!!

Craft On!!!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2007 10:06:41 PM »

i would love it if my wife made me a D20... sucks to be him.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

farmgirljane
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2007 12:06:37 PM »

As for making it crisper, I would suggest using a thin but sturdy fabric so you don't get bulk in the folds and heavy duty interfacing of some kind.
It may not be as cute and cuddly as the lovely one you already have though...

Sorry to appear a dunce but not sure what a D20 (I know it is a dice) is used for.

Anyway her in Aussie we can buy a really stiff iron on interfacing which is used for pelmets so this may be an option, I use it for my fabric postcards. It would have to be cut to the exact pattern size as it is like trying to turn a tree inside out if it is caught in the seams.  Also trimming the inside seams back to a 1/4 inch or smaller will add to the crispness of the sides.

Hope this helps
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my challenge 31 entry Jeannie's getting married in the morning and don't forget to vote
Wildfyre
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2007 12:25:59 PM »

Yeah, I found some super heavy duty interfacing at the store today and I'm going to get some with the next paycheck :-)

D20 is a dice used in many games but is probably most well known for it's use in Dungeons and Dragons.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr - bonniemj

duckiesandie
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2007 12:23:42 PM »

I think that looks awesome, keep up the great work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
psychodrea
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2007 06:35:04 PM »

specifically D20 is a 20 sided die..used alot in dungeons and dragons or any other tabletop role-playing game.  I have some nice D20s to use as life counters on Magic the Gathering (card game)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"how'd you know that?"
"....like any decent secretary...i listened in on the other line!"
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
4 Ways to Refresh Your Denim For Spring and Summer
Spring 2013 Fashion Trends Rundown
60 Seconds of Street Style From Paris Fashion Week
Emma Stone Shows Us How to Make Cocktail Dresses Daytime-Casual
Tips For Wearing Peplum Tops
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...