A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 298,239
Currently Running With Scissors:
652 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Semlor (Swedish cream bun) *img heavy*  (Read 5877 times)
Tags for this thread: recipe , bun , cream , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alvan
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: February 20, 2007 02:23:16 PM »

It's a old tradition here in Sweden to eat semlor this Tuesday. The tradition is connected with the catholic  fasting. You had to eat a lot just before the fasting and the semla was (is) rich with fat and that could help you to past the fasting.
Today there is not so many Catholics here in Sweden but the tradition to eat semlor is remaining. There is a old story that a Swedish king, Adolf Fredrik, ate to many semlor and died  1771. It's almost true but he ate a hole lot of other thing at that dinner to.

Semlor (Swedish cream bun)

Dough
100 g yeast
2,5 cup milk (6 dl)
2 eggs
0,6 cup granulated sugar (1 dl)
tbsp. salt
2 tbsp. cardamom
8,4 cup wheat flour (2 liters)
1 egg for painting the buns (I'm quite sure that's not the proper word but I think you understand any way)

Stuffing
150 g Ground almond
3 pcs bitter almond
1 cup granulated sugar (2 dl)
0,6 cup whipping cream (not whipped) (1 dl)
powdered sugar
whipped cream

Crumble the yeast in a large bowl. Melt the butter and pour the milk over the butter and warm to 37 C. Stir the yeast with some of the milk and butter mixture so the yeast melts. Pour  the rest of the milk and butter over the yeast. Crack the eggs and whip them slightly put them, the salt, cardamom and sugar in the bowl. Add the flour and stir and then knead to a smooth dough. Let the dough rise about 40 minutes.
Knead the dough and cut to about 30 pcs. Roll to buns and put on a baking tin. Let them rise for about 30 minutes. Whip the last egg and pant the top of the buns. Bake in the middle of the oven for app. 8 minutes in 250 C. Let them cool.

Ground the almonds (or put them in the mixer together with the sugar for a while) and mix with the sugar. Pour some whipping cream in and stir.
Cut of the top of  the buns and pull out some of the crumb of the bun.

Mix the crumbs with the almondmix and then put it back in the buns (If you want to freeze the, put the top on and then put them in the freezer).

Put a large pat whipped cream on the bun and then put the top on the top. Sift some powdered sugar over and then enjoy!

Sorry if it's written in swinglish, ask if you don't understand and I will try to put it in other words
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MADness323
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007 03:05:58 PM »

omg those look so delicious!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And the earth was without form or glory.

MissGobby.etsy.com
toothy
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007 03:25:18 PM »

Long vivre les Sudois!  That looks really really gooooooood.

In the words of a Swedish friend, "taxa mixa Baby!" (spelled phonetically)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ladywubboux
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007 03:43:00 PM »

I chose to make some of those for a school European country project...except it was for Estonia...is there a connection or was I totally off? Haha yours look way better than mine!! But of course because I'm a silly American Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alvan
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007 09:48:51 PM »

omg those look so delicious!!

They ARE, try them!
Long vivre les Sudois!  That looks really really gooooooood.

In the words of a Swedish friend, "taxa mixa Baby!" (spelled phonetically)

Lol "taxa mixa Baby" must mean "tack sa mycket, baby" and the natural answer is "varsagod!" (the a is pronounce as the oo in door ). That is hard to translate exactly, hummm.... " your welcome" should be the nearest exprecion.

I chose to make some of those for a school European country project...except it was for Estonia...is there a connection or was I totally off? Haha yours look way better than mine!! But of course because I'm a silly American Wink

Well Estonia ones (1583-1710) was a part of Sweden and there is a bun similar to this over there. But they don't have the marzipan  stuffed in the bun (you can buy marzipan and put in, but I prefere my own homemade and that is what make this bun sooooo good Wink).

Just a littel more nonsense about semlor: The one you can buy in the store taste a little bit different then the homemade ones. If I buy a semla I prefer to eat it as a "hetvagg" (the a is pronounce as a in hat and free translated the word means "hotwall") A hetvagg is a semla put in a bowl with hot milk.

I have replaced the typical Swedish letters whit a (should be a "a" with a circle above) and a (a "a" with two dots over) because a lot of foreign country's don't have them in there computers.

Thank you so much for your comments, I hope you try them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007 10:34:10 PM »

They look delicious Alvan, thanks for sharing the recipe  Smiley I think I will give these a try later today.

In England we have pancakes on Shrove Tuesday (yesterday) for the same reason.
Your Semlor look a lot more appetising  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best"

50 in '14
alvan
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007 11:18:32 PM »

Mmmm I love pancakes! Do you make the pancakes thick as the do in America or do you make them thin as we do here in Sweden?

My favorite when it comes to pancakes is to put very thin slices of apple in the mixture just after pouring it in the pan and then sprinkle sugar over. You can't make to many because the pan gets quite sticky after turning the pancake over and the sugar melts in to the pan. But the melted sugar on the pancake is yummy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Midnightoak
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007 02:23:30 AM »

I love semlor!

And being extra lucky in the family stakes get to have both pancakes AND semlor on Shrove Tuesday.

The pancakes are always thin, and served with a sprinkle of sugar and a drop of lemon juice (although I have all manner of non-British things on them to the disgust of my boyfriend...mmm).

As for our semlor, I follow our family recipe (as espoused by our Swedish family god of baking, my uncle), which is a much simpler version of the bun. We don't put cardamom in ours, and I have never tried it in milk.
When I have eaten all of my lot, I may have to try this version to see what the difference is.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007 04:56:20 AM »

our pancakes are thin, served with sugar and orange or lemon juice...or my sons favourite Golden Syrup..which is basically liquid sugar! very very sweet. We also have all number of none tradional toppings  Grin The boys like ice-cream and I like choclate spread on mine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best"

50 in '14
alvan
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007 05:26:33 AM »

I have tried sugar on, not my favorite, but i have never heard about putting lemon or orange juice on so I really have to try that. Lucky my daughter is going on a picnic tomorrow with pancakes in the backpack, then I can try it later on today Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Resize Pictures - Adobe Photoshop
How to Use the Motion Blur Filter - Adobe Photoshop
How to Create Simple Shapes - Adobe Photoshop
how to Bring Drawings to Life Part 1/2 - Adobe After Effects
how to Bring Drawings to Life Part 2/2 - Adobe After Effects
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...