A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,587
Currently Running With Scissors:
598 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: vegan/vegetarian popcorn "chicken"  (Read 3660 times)
Tags for this thread: recipe  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kisha
« on: September 05, 2004 12:32:15 PM »

Although I hate cooking, my specialty is southern vegan fried foods. I figured I'd share one of my recipes for fake popcorn chicken !

"Chicken" Ingredients:
Textured Vegetable Protein cubes (TVP)
or chicken style seitan
Vegetarian bouillon cubes (adds flavor to the TVP, but not necessary)

Batter:
flour
various spices (black pepper, seasoning salt, salt, garlic powder, cayen powder, etc)
you can also buy premade deep frying chicken batter. Just make ure you check the ingredients for animal parts.

Making the popcorn "chicken":

-Fill a frying pan or a pot with a 4-6 cups of water and bring to a boil. You can add the bouillion cube if you want. once it comes to a boil, throw in your TVP cubes. If it looks like you have more TVP than water, it's ok to go ahead and add more water. Boil your TVP cubes for about 5-8 minutes or until they've absorbed the water and have turned into a spongy texture. Once they're spongy, drain the cubes in a colander and set them aside.

-If you're using the pre-made chicken style seitan, all you need to do is drain the liquid from package and cut the pieces to whatever size you want.

Preparing for the deep fry action

-I use a deep fryer that I picked up from Target for about $10. But you can use a deep iron pot or a frying pan if that's all you've got. Anything that you can put a fair amount of oil in to deep fry without burning a limb is good.

-I use vegetable or canola oil, but use whatever you've got in the cupboard (hell, I've used olive oil in desperate situations!). Fill your pot/deep fryer/frying pan with oil and heat it up. A good way to test whether it's hot enough is to sprinkle some water in the pot BUT BE CAREFUL, KIDS.

Let's get to the batter

-If you're using pre-made batter, all you've got to do is throw you're TVP into a bowl with the batter and coat them good and well. Then sift the TVP cubes out of the bowl and start deep frying.

For the DIY batter makers, get a bowl and make your concoction to your tastes using your spices. All you're pretty much doing is adding flavor to the flour. Nothing too fancy, but don't let my lazy ass hold you back from hooking up your batter. After, you've spiced up your flour, follow the same directions I mentioned above (throw your TVP in the flour mix and batter the hell out of em).

sometimes i dip the tvp cubes in soy milk, drain them, then batter them. It provides for a thicker batter.

Deep Frying

-Nothing fancy here. Just throw your TVP into the oil and let them brown. Depending on how big/small your pot/pan/deep fryer is. don't throw too many in at the same time. They will clump together and it will be a dreadful mess (but still tasty). Do a couple batches at a time and stir the tvp in the oil a little just to separate the pieces so that they dont clump together.

-Once they're a light golden brown color, fetch them out using one of those wire straining spoons (or whatever you want to use. just, y'know, nothing plastic). Drain them out on a paper towel on a plate.

Sauces for the "popcorn chicken"
-Honey BBQ
-Hot Sauce
-Buffalo Wing Sauce
-Blue Cheese Dressing
-Ranch Dressing
-Whatever the hell your heart desires.

To serve:

I typically make this for parties. So, I make large batches, throw them into seperate bowls, throw the sauce in to coat them, shake the bowl with a plate to cover it (or use a spoon and stir it up). And BAM, you've got your vegan "popcorn" chicken.

if any of this is confusing, don't hesitate to ask me to clarify ! Enjoy !
THIS ROCKS   Logged
706Designs
"To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong" -Joseph Chilton Pearce

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2004 05:59:39 PM »

Thanks for the recipe.  Whenever I want a chicken alternative, I always buy the prepackaged stuff.  My question to you is has TVP gotten better over the years?  I used it once, when I first became a vegetarian, 12 1/2 years ago.  It was awful and way too salty for my tastes.  What brand of TVP do you use?

Thanks.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
kisha
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2004 06:08:56 PM »

Thanks for the recipe.  Whenever I want a chicken alternative, I always buy the prepackaged stuff.  My question to you is has TVP gotten better over the years?  I used it once, when I first became a vegetarian, 12 1/2 years ago.  It was awful and way too salty for my tastes.  What brand of TVP do you use?

Thanks.

I use bulk dry TVP that I buy from a local co-op. It's bland and has no taste whatsoever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NaeNae
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2004 12:13:28 AM »

i am a vegan and i LOVE southern food. i am going to go to the co-op (amazing place that does a huge bag of tvp chunks for 1.20) and get some ingredients on thursday. i will let you know how it goes. do you have anymore southern recipes?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pixiewhip

violently cute

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2004 04:31:37 PM »

I'm definately going to try that.    Shake,n,bake chicken was one of my comfort foods in the pre vegetarian days and I have never found anything to replace it.  I can't wait.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kisha
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2004 10:26:03 AM »

I have a few more southern style vegan recipes that I'm working on right now. I'll surely post them as soon as I'm done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sugaree
.:loser:.

If I was a bed, I would stay unmade.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2004 03:46:56 PM »

thanks so much for the great recipe!  as soon as i muster the courage to buy and intend to eat TVP cubes, i am going to do all that good stuff to them  Grin....

i can't wait to read some more of your recipes.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*shut up you know nothing know it all*~

.:when you wist upon a star:.  http://www.wists.com/sugaree
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Winnie the Pooh
Learn Classical Composition Through DVD Course
Linear Grayscale Painting
Plein-Air Landscape Painting Workshops
How to Draw Daffy Duck
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...