A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 304,866
Currently Running With Scissors:
530 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: best places to shop in boston  (Read 4651 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alison
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2004 06:32:40 PM »

Poop. How will i know when the plans are finalized for the punk rock flea market?

i guess if it isnt finalized yet, it probably won't happen. i'll post if i hear anything...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DJmahg
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2004 06:35:43 PM »

Thanks. Is the filenes basement in boston awesome? Or is it like the one in chicago, which kinda sucks...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alison
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2004 03:35:19 PM »

Thanks. Is the filenes basement in boston awesome? Or is it like the one in chicago, which kinda sucks...

the filene's basement in downtown crossing is totally worth going to. its not like normal stores.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hillarybillary
your a pansy I'm a cowboy....

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2004 12:30:57 PM »

So Im confused there is something the 4th and the 11th? I totally missed bizarre bazaare last year because it was on my first wedding anniversary and we went out of town. but this year its not.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alison
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2004 06:22:59 PM »

So Im confused there is something the 4th and the 11th? I totally missed bizarre bazaare last year because it was on my first wedding anniversary and we went out of town. but this year its not.

nothing on the 4th (that i know of anyway) but the bazaar bizarre is on the 11th in central sq. 
make sure you come hillary!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BlueAlvarez

I'm always makin' something.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2004 08:26:40 AM »

Okay, so somebody mentioned Oona's, which is awesome, IMO.  That is right off of Harvard Sq. too, so definitely stop there when you visit the discount-basement Urban Outfitters.

Boomerangs is a thrift store, there's one in Jamaica Plain on Centre St., but it's a chain and there are more locations.  They have some cool stuff most of the time.

Will you have a car at all during your stay?  Any Salvation Army or St. Vincent's is good.  Look them up in the phone book, or http://www.switchboard.com  They have several near downtown that you may not even need a car to get to.

Looks in Cambridge is awesome.  Although I haven't bought anything there yet so I can't vouch for their prices.  They are off of Rt. 2A.  You can walk there from Harvard Sq., it'd take about 10-15 minutes.

While you're in Harvard Sq also check out the brand new Magpie on Huron.  These guys posted in the Craftster classifieds recently, and I plan on consigning with them.

There is a great little place in Brookline (corner of Rt. 9 and Cypress St., 131 Cypress) called Cafe Society.  Get there in the middle of the day, because they have weird hours.  As long as you're there between noon and 6pm you should be golden, including Sat and Sun.  You can take the green line there - it's right by the Brookline Village stop.

Oh yeah there's also Fabulous, Inc. in Inman Sq. (not too far from Harvard Sq., take the bus)  But I think she's kind of overpriced, esp. for the clothes.  Still, Inman Sq. is a cool area, and it'd be worth the trip to check out the Zeitgeist Gallery.

The South End Open Market was all craftsters, every SUnday, but they stopped doing outdoor booths at the end of November.  They are having a holiday (indoor) show though, in the same location - South End Holiday Market.  I definitely have to go to that.

Other events happening in the next 2 weeks are Bazaar Bizarre Boston (Dec 11th) and Crafts at the Castle (Dec 2nd - 5th).

Again, if you can get a car, Providence RI has Craftland (ongoing until Dec. 21st)

Hell, now I think *I* need to print out this list so I don't miss anything! Smiley

Jen

« Last Edit: December 02, 2004 08:31:33 AM by BlueAlvarez » THIS ROCKS   Logged

krebstar5
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2004 09:28:32 AM »

Looks is great, but really expensive.  You'll find that you can make a lot of that stuff for much cheaper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a blog-
http://smalerie.com

Rule 1: To do rather than watch.
http://www.journeyofwill.com
PollyEsther
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2004 11:31:47 AM »

DJmahg:  if you've never been to the Filene's basement in downtown Boston, be warned: communal dressing room. No stalls. Just one big room with lotsa mirrors.  I'm totally Ok with it now, but I really wish somebody had warned me the first time (blushes).  Wear decent underwear. 
« Last Edit: December 13, 2004 11:34:20 AM by PollyEsther » THIS ROCKS   Logged
quarkiegirl

Keep it loose, keep it tight.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2004 05:28:02 PM »

Excellent advice! I always seem to be wearing my worst undergarments when I shop there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
poppycock
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2005 08:40:01 AM »

Gumshoe is still open in JP, it's near the library/Curtis Hall, where the monument is (aka where Centre St becomes South St).  the hours are kind of erratic i think so you should call first.  pricey but periodic "everything's half price" or buy-2-get-1 free sales.. 

i've also heard good things about hadassah thrift store, near the comm ave/brighton split.

FYI about urban outfitters:
urban outfitters is owned by a guy who gives a lot of $$$ to rick santorum (a scary right wing senator).  santorum donates to anti-choice groups and says being gay=child molester/bestiality.  UO has also been in the news for selling some shitty racist stuff (ghettopoly etc).  and supposedly their clothes are made in sweatshops. 

you can read more here: http://www.mediamouse.org/static/urban_outfitters_markets_civic_apathy.php and http://releases.usnewswire.com/GetRelease.asp?id=26764. wow i just googled "urban outfitters" and "rick santorum" and came up with 10+ pages of hits.

it is hard to find anywhere that doesnt have fucked up politics behind it, i've been trying to stick to thrift stores..
« Last Edit: January 28, 2005 08:43:36 AM by poppycock » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use the Blending Modes in Photoshop Part 1/2
Adobe Photoshop Express Beta - Software Review
Adobe Photoshop CS4 Icons - Software Review
How to Create Gallery Image Part 2/2
How to Make an Unbelievable Image in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...