A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,042
Currently Running With Scissors:
440 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: best places to shop in boston  (Read 4097 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DJmahg
« on: October 19, 2004 06:54:40 PM »

I know I already posted asking where the best places in Boston to shop are, so, at the risk of being obnoxious, i'm going to ask again. I want to make my trip to boston vintage/craft/thrift/boutique-tastic and I was hoping you bostonians would be of help.
A.) i here there is a urban outfitters that sells its mismanufactured clothes in the basement for dirt cheap. Is this true? if so, where is this urban outfitters located?
B.) What is(are) the best vintage/unique boutique/fashion neighborhood in the city? Elle did an article on cross-country vintage shopping and it mentioned a couple places, one being Gumshoe...>is that what its called?< but it didn't mention any good neighborhoods to go to. I want to get the best shopping out of one day because my boyfriend and mom will be with me and they don't love clothes quite as much as i do....
C.) anything else you can tell me?

THANKS AGAIN!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2004 06:59:18 PM by Goddess » THIS ROCKS   Logged
woodchick
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004 07:14:07 PM »

Hey,

Clothes shopping really isn't my gig, but I've got a couple answers for you...

1) There are two Urban Outfitters in Boston:
 NEWBURY STREET, BOSTON, MA 02115-2738--(617) 236-0088
11 J.F. KENNEDY STREET, CAMBRIDGE, MA 02138-4908--(617) 864-0070]
I'm guessing that the one in Cambridge (Harvard Square) is the one you're looking for...

2) Check out http://www.garmentdistrict.com/  they often have some cool/interesting/vintage things.  They're near Kenmore Square (not far from Harvard...)

Hope that helps a little!  And I hope you all have a nice time in Boston! I'm in the tourist industry (local museum) and always want visitors to have fun  here!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2004 07:16:39 PM by woodchick » THIS ROCKS   Logged

the Blog: www.prwdot.org
alison
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004 07:26:52 PM »

A.) i here there is a urban outfitters that sells its mismanufactured clothes in the basement for dirt cheap. Is this true? if so, where is this urban outfitters located?
It is in Cambridge...Harvard SQ on the Red Line.  The store is on JFK St, anyone in the area should be able to point it out to you.

B.) What is(are) the best vintage/unique boutique/fashion neighborhood in the city? Elle did an article on cross-country vintage shopping and it mentioned a couple places, one being Gumshoe...>is that what its called?< but it didn't mention any good neighborhoods to go to. I want to get the best shopping out of one day because my boyfriend and mom will be with me and they don't love clothes quite as much as i do....
The Garment District in Kendall Sq. Cambridge is the best vintage store, but there's not really much else near by...I can't think of any neighborhoods that are like what you want...If pricey is OK, there's Newbury St. (which has an awesome Lush Store and another Urban Outfitters)

sorry I can't be of any more help, but I can't think of any specific place that has more than one or two cool shops...anyone else?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alison
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004 07:29:13 PM »

that's funny...i guess there's no other answers if we both got it at the same time!

i also thought that if you are here on a sunday there is the south end open market in another Mass. post...check that out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

woodchick
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2004 07:31:40 PM »

Great minds think alike!

Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the Blog: www.prwdot.org
DJmahg
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2004 06:17:04 PM »

Thanks guys!
i think the market is gonna be closed though cause i'm coming in december. >BOOOURNS!<
cheers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alison
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2004 09:35:23 AM »

Thanks guys!
i think the market is gonna be closed though cause i'm coming in december. >BOOOURNS!<
cheers!
i don't know where you're from, but make sure you are prepared...december is cold!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DJmahg
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2004 05:13:14 PM »

I'm from Chicago. I'm used to really F-ing cold weather.
Thanks for the heads up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
liasews
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2004 05:09:10 PM »

Urban Outfitters stuff really isnt that cheap, even the bargain stuff. It really depends on what you find. You should def. go to the garnment district (its a store) because you can buy stuff for one price there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
EmilyFlew
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

..sweets4ever is so rad..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2004 05:18:20 PM »

I used to get a lot of my clothes in the Urban Outfitters basement--it's not dirt cheap, but you can get some good deals there. Harvard Square in general is a nice area to wander around in. Newbury Comics is a great CD store, and there's a pretty decent small thrift shop in the basement next door (Housing Works, maybe?)

Davis square also has some nice boutiques and a salvation army with decent selection.

I was never a huge fan of the garment district--it's kind of a pain to get to, and their stuff is a little over priced for thrift stuff. But a lot of people adore it.

Newbury Street is totally pricey, but has lots of nice boutiques and consignment shops. As well as great people watching.

You're making me miss Boston a little! Hope you have a great trip!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

technocutie, handmade iPod cases and felt accoutrements
thoughts and days.

I <3 the mod squad ladies!
clearskies
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2004 06:13:49 AM »

there's also the big filene's basement in downtown crossing.  sometimes you can find good deals there, if you're willing to be patient and sift through stuff.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I want to be cool, tall, vulnerable and luscious.  I would have it all if I'd only had this much."
bongocomm
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2004 03:05:50 PM »

OK. Mass residents, don't hate me. But I am guessing the reason you are not getting that many responses is that there really aren't that many cool clothing/thrift/etc. shops in Boston. I moved out from Seattle almost 2 years ago and I am still looking! It's mostly chain stores with the occasional outlying interesting shop. But not really anything exciting, and not probably better than you can get in Chicago.
The only best and plentiful deals I can find are (luckily!) on books from the fabulous library sales.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
clearskies
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2004 06:43:00 AM »

i'll agree with that, although reluctantly.  there aren't really many fab places for shopping in boston.

check the urban outfitters basement in harvard square -- many times everything is 50% the already reduced prices (which aren't that reduced).  but most of mine and my husband's tshirts are from there, and i got them for like $5 - $7 each.  i used to work in harvard square and had the luxury of being able to pop in once a week to check out the deals.  they have good housewares there sometimes, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I want to be cool, tall, vulnerable and luscious.  I would have it all if I'd only had this much."
alison
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2004 07:33:12 AM »

OK. Mass residents, don't hate me. But I am guessing the reason you are not getting that many responses is that there really aren't that many cool clothing/thrift/etc. shops in Boston. I moved out from Seattle almost 2 years ago and I am still looking! It's mostly chain stores with the occasional outlying interesting shop. But not really anything exciting, and not probably better than you can get in Chicago.
The only best and plentiful deals I can find are (luckily!) on books from the fabulous library sales.

i completely agree.  there are plently of single stores in random spots, but I can't think of anywhere I would send someone.  like I said before, there's not really any cool neighborhoods lined with the types of stores you are looking for.

but hey, if you come in december, there is the bazaar bizarre and the punk rock flea markets happening!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Zanti MissKnit

Formerly known as AndreaLH

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2004 12:53:05 PM »

Yes, I have to agree that is true.  I think it's too expensive for small businesses to set up shop!  I was walking around today and remembering the old days when there was a Salvation Army store in downtown. 

If you go to Harvard Square, besides the Urban Outfitters basement, there is also a consignment shop on Eliot Street that isn't too bad.  It has higher-end stuff but you can sometimes find good deals.

I have a love/hate relationship with Garment District.  I live close to it, so I go often, and find stuff.  I've had some staff there give me attitude for no apparent reason, though, which I find a little off-putting.  Further, the "recycled" fashions by the resident "designer" are garbage, in my opinion.  The seams aren't even finished!

My husband loves Dollar a Pound (the first floor of the Garment District; it's actually $1.50 a pound now), but I *swear* I've found items with fecal matter on them in there, so . . . BEWARE!

Central Square in Cambridge (Red Line) has a Goodwill and a Salvation Army, plus the fabulous Otro Lado is there on Brookline Street.  Lots of cool Mexican goodies, some clothes, and local crafts.  The proprietress (sp?), Johanna, is a lovely woman whom I've been acquainted with since high school (over 15 years ago!).

Gumshoe is located in Jamaica Plain, but I haven't been in that neighborhood for at least 2 years and don't know if it's still there.  There are some cool stores around there and lots of nice folks, but it seems to take so long to get there from my East Cambridge digs.

Take care!
Andrea
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alison
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2004 09:08:41 PM »

Thanks guys!
cheers!

if you're going to be here in december the bazaar bizarre is december 11th and the punk rock flea market is possibly happening on the 4th.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

quarkiegirl

Keep it loose, keep it tight.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2004 10:16:23 PM »

Oona's on Mass Ave in Harvard Square is a great vintage store, and there's a cute little Tibet shop next door.

There are some great bookstores in Central Square, and another Tibet store. Can you tell I love Tibet stores? Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DJmahg
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2004 07:28:02 AM »

When is the punk rock flea market this year? Is there a website? I'll be in boston the 2nd...through...the .... err....like, the next sunday or something. (of decemeber, that is) I'm so organized!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alison
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2004 12:17:05 PM »

When is the punk rock flea market this year? Is there a website? I'll be in boston the 2nd...through...the .... err....like, the next sunday or something. (of decemeber, that is) I'm so organized!

it is maybe on the 4th, according to the website (http://www.honeypump.net)  here is the post about it http://board.honeypump.net/t.php?id=25666
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DJmahg
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2004 06:13:41 PM »

Poop. How will i know when the plans are finalized for the punk rock flea market?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alison
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2004 06:32:40 PM »

Poop. How will i know when the plans are finalized for the punk rock flea market?

i guess if it isnt finalized yet, it probably won't happen. i'll post if i hear anything...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DJmahg
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2004 06:35:43 PM »

Thanks. Is the filenes basement in boston awesome? Or is it like the one in chicago, which kinda sucks...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alison
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2004 03:35:19 PM »

Thanks. Is the filenes basement in boston awesome? Or is it like the one in chicago, which kinda sucks...

the filene's basement in downtown crossing is totally worth going to. its not like normal stores.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hillarybillary
your a pansy I'm a cowboy....

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2004 12:30:57 PM »

So Im confused there is something the 4th and the 11th? I totally missed bizarre bazaare last year because it was on my first wedding anniversary and we went out of town. but this year its not.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alison
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2004 06:22:59 PM »

So Im confused there is something the 4th and the 11th? I totally missed bizarre bazaare last year because it was on my first wedding anniversary and we went out of town. but this year its not.

nothing on the 4th (that i know of anyway) but the bazaar bizarre is on the 11th in central sq. 
make sure you come hillary!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BlueAlvarez

I'm always makin' something.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2004 08:26:40 AM »

Okay, so somebody mentioned Oona's, which is awesome, IMO.  That is right off of Harvard Sq. too, so definitely stop there when you visit the discount-basement Urban Outfitters.

Boomerangs is a thrift store, there's one in Jamaica Plain on Centre St., but it's a chain and there are more locations.  They have some cool stuff most of the time.

Will you have a car at all during your stay?  Any Salvation Army or St. Vincent's is good.  Look them up in the phone book, or http://www.switchboard.com  They have several near downtown that you may not even need a car to get to.

Looks in Cambridge is awesome.  Although I haven't bought anything there yet so I can't vouch for their prices.  They are off of Rt. 2A.  You can walk there from Harvard Sq., it'd take about 10-15 minutes.

While you're in Harvard Sq also check out the brand new Magpie on Huron.  These guys posted in the Craftster classifieds recently, and I plan on consigning with them.

There is a great little place in Brookline (corner of Rt. 9 and Cypress St., 131 Cypress) called Cafe Society.  Get there in the middle of the day, because they have weird hours.  As long as you're there between noon and 6pm you should be golden, including Sat and Sun.  You can take the green line there - it's right by the Brookline Village stop.

Oh yeah there's also Fabulous, Inc. in Inman Sq. (not too far from Harvard Sq., take the bus)  But I think she's kind of overpriced, esp. for the clothes.  Still, Inman Sq. is a cool area, and it'd be worth the trip to check out the Zeitgeist Gallery.

The South End Open Market was all craftsters, every SUnday, but they stopped doing outdoor booths at the end of November.  They are having a holiday (indoor) show though, in the same location - South End Holiday Market.  I definitely have to go to that.

Other events happening in the next 2 weeks are Bazaar Bizarre Boston (Dec 11th) and Crafts at the Castle (Dec 2nd - 5th).

Again, if you can get a car, Providence RI has Craftland (ongoing until Dec. 21st)

Hell, now I think *I* need to print out this list so I don't miss anything! Smiley

Jen

« Last Edit: December 02, 2004 08:31:33 AM by BlueAlvarez » THIS ROCKS   Logged

krebstar5
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2004 09:28:32 AM »

Looks is great, but really expensive.  You'll find that you can make a lot of that stuff for much cheaper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a blog-
http://smalerie.com

Rule 1: To do rather than watch.
http://www.journeyofwill.com
PollyEsther
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2004 11:31:47 AM »

DJmahg:  if you've never been to the Filene's basement in downtown Boston, be warned: communal dressing room. No stalls. Just one big room with lotsa mirrors.  I'm totally Ok with it now, but I really wish somebody had warned me the first time (blushes).  Wear decent underwear. 
« Last Edit: December 13, 2004 11:34:20 AM by PollyEsther » THIS ROCKS   Logged
quarkiegirl

Keep it loose, keep it tight.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2004 05:28:02 PM »

Excellent advice! I always seem to be wearing my worst undergarments when I shop there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
poppycock
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2005 08:40:01 AM »

Gumshoe is still open in JP, it's near the library/Curtis Hall, where the monument is (aka where Centre St becomes South St).  the hours are kind of erratic i think so you should call first.  pricey but periodic "everything's half price" or buy-2-get-1 free sales.. 

i've also heard good things about hadassah thrift store, near the comm ave/brighton split.

FYI about urban outfitters:
urban outfitters is owned by a guy who gives a lot of $$$ to rick santorum (a scary right wing senator).  santorum donates to anti-choice groups and says being gay=child molester/bestiality.  UO has also been in the news for selling some shitty racist stuff (ghettopoly etc).  and supposedly their clothes are made in sweatshops. 

you can read more here: http://www.mediamouse.org/static/urban_outfitters_markets_civic_apathy.php and http://releases.usnewswire.com/GetRelease.asp?id=26764. wow i just googled "urban outfitters" and "rick santorum" and came up with 10+ pages of hits.

it is hard to find anywhere that doesnt have fucked up politics behind it, i've been trying to stick to thrift stores..
« Last Edit: January 28, 2005 08:43:36 AM by poppycock » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Zanti MissKnit

Formerly known as AndreaLH

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2005 09:37:27 AM »

Poppycock, thanks for the info about Urban Outrage!  I knew there was a reason I didn't like them (besides their overpriced crap clothing!).

Andrea
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Korean BBQ Beef Taco Recipe
Put A Delicious Asian Twist On Chicken Wings!
Curry Tofu With Spinach, Tomato and Bell Pepper
Nutritional Value of Baby Bak Choy
Curry Beef With Coconut Milk, Lemongrass, Ginger & Potato
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain
Here Kitty, Kitty!
Meatless Monday: Vegan, Raw, Gluten Free Chocolate Bars

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...