A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,381
Currently Running With Scissors:
603 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: cotton stripey scarf  (Read 2679 times)
Tags for this thread: scarf  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

wildcheddar

sugar magnolia, sunshine daydream

View Profile
« on: October 19, 2004 06:33:22 PM »

this is a recent accomplishment of mine.... it is a fall-weight scarf crocheted with lion brand cotton-ease yarn, which i think is delightful. time consuming, but oh so comfortable to wear, especially if you hate the weird way acrylic/acrylic type fibers scratch at your so-warm-its-a-little-sweaty neck.

this scarf is real nice for fall, but for the winter i think i'm going to make a chunkier, warmer scarf out of something like boucle. any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

don't tell me this town ain't got no heart
cliodna00
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004 06:21:51 AM »

That's so pretty!!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I was created free, born free, and live free..." -Haec Vir
ilovemyff
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004 05:03:31 PM »

Really nice! don't know why but seeing your scarf makes me want to have some spearmint gum!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
NaeNae
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004 01:08:35 AM »

wow, i had to just bring this topic up to say how much i love that scarf. its really pretty. im looking for a scarf pattern at the moment for a male friend of mine. he said he wanted me to make him a "masculine" scarf. hear that, a "masculine" scarf. i am going to have a look for a similar pattern to this because i think with the right colour it could indeed be "masculine". awesome job, and yes, i too have a craving for mints after having seen this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
justwantacraft
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2004 06:38:43 AM »

That's NICE! I like it. Great work too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
arabella
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2004 08:42:00 AM »

it looks great!

I love how there is not an exactly straight line between the two colors!   is that seed stitch?  I waas trying to peer at it and figure it out but I'm not so up on all my stitches.

very nice job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
waterbaby
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2004 10:29:49 AM »

Great job, whitecheddar---have done a couple of long stripe scarves myself recently and really like the look.

this scarf is real nice for fall, but for the winter i think i'm going to make a chunkier, warmer scarf out of something like boucle. any ideas?

How about Lion Brand's Homespun?  It's acrylic but so-o-o-o soft, with a nice texture, and a wide range of beautiful colors that can have an interesting broadly variegated quality depending on which one you use (it's a sort of watercolor quality of closely related hues blending every several yards...if that makes any sense at all).  The bumply texture can make it just a little harder to work with, but the results are well worth it.

a male friend of mine . . . . said he wanted me to make him a "masculine" scarf.  . . . . i am going to have a look for a similar pattern to this ....

NaeNae, I think the long stripe is great for men's scarves.  Recently did one using Lion's Jiffy, also acrylic but soft and looks like mohair, in the El Paso color (closely variegated fall/earth tones) that could easily work for a man or a woman.  Didn't use a pattern; I just made a chain the length I wanted it to be and then then did the whole thing with double crochets into back loops only---this makes alternating "levels" of rows which adds to the visual interest.

Lion Brand's indivudual yarn pages don't have their own addresses so I couldn't provide links for you to check out the colors; the website is http://www.lionbrand.com.  You'll find a lot of free patterns there as well.  Oh, I have no affiliation with Lion other than as a consumer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tchrluv89
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2004 01:29:22 PM »

wow I love it! What stitch did you use?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wildcheddar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2004 06:44:28 PM »

the stitch i used...
(i don't know what the proper names of anything is, but i think this might make sense) ... i single crocheted into one stitch, did a chain stitch over the next, and then single crocheted into the next one, chain stitch..... yeah, that's how i did it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wildcheddar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2004 06:45:32 PM »

oh, and also, it was crocheted lengthwise rather than horizontally! that's probably the trick here
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to make Southern Fried Chicken
How to make Creole Gumbo
How to make Pizza
How to make Egg Rolls
How to make Loaded Potato Soup
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...