A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,608
Currently Running With Scissors:
705 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Barbara G. Walker-a-long?  (Read 15984 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

yarnhag
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 27, 2008 12:23:33 PM »

cynalune -- how did you do the shaping on the ribbing?  did you just start the next rib a row or two down?  Did you do the ribbing on the same size needles as the rest of the sweater?  How did you make the cast-on calculations?

I'm looking forward to seeing this modeled when it's all done!

My own attempts have been frogged.  My husband's sweater, on 3.5mm in dk with a big cable panel down front and back, turned out to be a little tighter than her wanted in the armhole... he realized this after I had finished two inches of body bast the armholes and the sleeve cap one one sleeve plus a few inches.  The shoulders were a borderline fit anyhow, so I ripped the whole thing to add extra shoulder width -- if I'm going to put in this much time, it's gonna be perfect!

I've also improved on the sleeve "seam" -- I did body first.  I found when I picked up aroudn the armhole and then did the short-row shoulder cap, it left a sort of a gap between the body and the sleeve -- it didn't look as good as a well-sewn-in sleeve.  *but* -- if I pick up only the top (I'm doing about 2 inches worth of stitches on either side of the cast-on) and start the back and forth, picking up one extra stitch at the end of each row, it makes for a much nicer shoulder "seam."  I also plan to pick-up 2 at the end of each of the first few shoulder rows when I re-do this bad  boy.

It is going to be a beautiful sweater.  I hope he loves it.  I've taken a good long break from it out of frustration, and I'm finally feeling ready to go back at it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cynalune
« Reply #131 on: December 27, 2008 01:00:45 PM »

Yarnhag, I hope your husband will love it Smiley

For the sweater, I just cast  on  7 stitches ( because it's my lucky number  Roll Eyes )for the left side and then I began to increase immediately to make the V shape of the neckline. then I recast 7 stitches on for the right side and joined them at the point of the V. It was more or less improvised. I figured that if the neckline went too low I could add a little afterthought modesty at the point, a bit like Venus on Knitty
then I did the waist shaping by beginning a column of ribbing  ( p2, k2,p2) at the center of the front and adding a column of 2 knit stitches every other row.
When I try this on, I see I have began my ribbing a bit too high but if I had made it lower, it would hit me lower on the hips too so I don't know if it's a good or a bad thing
I'm still on the last sleeve, I don't know why but I can't force myself to work on it and right now it looks at me accusingly on the couch  Grin
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008 01:02:26 PM by cynalune » THIS ROCKS   Logged

cynalune
« Reply #132 on: March 27, 2009 03:58:09 PM »

At last, it's finished :
Here is the front (the lacing you can see is actually on the back) :

And the back :

Now I need a pair of black,removable, very long armwarmers to go with it  Grin
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009 03:58:59 PM by cynalune » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Creative Wrapping Paper Styles
How to Read Crochet Patterns
How to Triple Crochet
How to Crochet and Change Color Without Knots
How to Make a Wallet from a Computer Keyboard
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...