A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,489
Currently Running With Scissors:
639 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: baking brownies in cupcake tins?  (Read 3700 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

may1em
« on: February 18, 2007 10:49:24 PM »

Hi. I'm new. So my boyfriend is coming to visit this weekend and I want to make him a nice dinner. I have the dinner part down, but I'm not sure how to go about doing what I want to for dessert.

First off, my oven's kind of funky and I rent, so there's not too much that can be done about that. Last time I made brownies, I gave them 2 minutes less than the box said (I'm a student. Mix is cheap.), let the oven preheat for 15 minutes before putting them in, and they still came out funky (rose perfect in the middle, dense, flat and overcooked on the edges). My experience with muffins is marginally better than my experience with pan-sized baked goods, so I was hoping to be able to bake brownie mix in muffin tins. But how do I do this? Do I use a different temperature? Does the baking time change, and if so, how much? I also don't have a window on the oven door, so I can't peek too much without letting all the heat out. Any experience with this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MsChilePepper
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007 12:26:02 AM »

Sure, you can do that, no problem.  You might want to use cupcake papers, instead of just putting the batter directly in the muffin tin's cups.

I'd use the same temperature, and just experiment with baking time by only filing one cup to see how long it takes.  You can get a rough idea of how many minutes it will take by figuring out how many servings of the dough you'll be putting into the cups, and then dividing the total time.  It's not going to be exact, but that'll give you an idea. 

Brownie batter is much denser than muffin batter, so it will take longer to bake.  You can quickly test to see if it's done baking by touching the top of it; if it springs back, it's likely done.  Or you can test with a toothpick or piece of uncooked spaghetti; if it comes out clean when you insert it in the center, it's done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I own power tools, and I'm not afraid to use them!
neekie

gauge schmauge.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007 12:32:55 AM »

i frequently use recipes meant for cakes and brownies, and bake them in muffin tins instead (less trouble needed to cut the cake and all that..)

i just use the same temperature but bake them for a shorter amount of time (usually if the cake/brownie bakes for an hour, i bake the muffins for half an hour). like mschilepepper said, test them for doneness. if they are not done yet but the top is getting crispy/crusty already, just cover the tops with a sheet of aluminium foil and continue baking.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007 09:06:39 AM »

Unless you want to spend a lifetime guessing what's going to happen every time you do something new, spend a couple bucks and get an oven thermometer and see if 350 degrees is really what's inside the oven.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jessio
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007 09:25:46 AM »

I don't know if this helps, but mini-muffin tins seem to be a better size for brownies than the full-size muffin tins. The big ones are just a tiny bit too big for a serving, unless you're very hungry.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm looking for a bunch of different buttons, and can swap nice yarn for them ^_^
Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007 07:18:47 PM »

I've done that before!  Hooray for being in college and not having the proper pan.

I put the batter directly into the muffin cups (I use silicone ones, but if you have the normal kind you should use the cupcake papers) and set it at the temperature the recipe said.  They did take a bit less time to cook, so check them with a toothpick every few minutes when it gets close to the time they should be done.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lost.eu/1871f  This is an invitation!

Tetris, pretty colors, and (of course) lots of knitting!
Check out my new blog at:
http://saltwaterpurls.blogspot.com
starspinner

hope is a plague that should be carried with pride

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2007 01:03:42 AM »

you can temp your oven. like calibrate it. like thermometers ave to be checked to make sure they're accurate. ovens are the same way. my last apartment the oven ran 30 degrees hotter than the dial reading!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zimfreak
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007 10:42:46 PM »

I absolutely can't let something just sit in the oven until it's supposed to be finished-- my oven is totally nuts, too.  Sometimes things turn out better when they're not cooked the way the box instructs, anyway.  Either way, it helps to get a thermometer to make sure the heat gauge on your oven is right  (if yours is super old, or you can't figure out starspinner's advice.)  .  Before baking, it might be good to test the temperature on different racks and different parts of the oven so you can predict what'll happen.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0" style="padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px; vertical-align: middle; border-bottom: none"><tr style="padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px; vertical-align: middle; border-bottom: none"><td colspan="3" style="padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px; vertical-align: middle; border-bottom: no
hp_nerd
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007 06:34:03 PM »

I have an almost un-fail recipe for Brownie Cupcakes, if your interested, and it isn't a mix.  Also, something else you could consider, is chocolate molten cupcakes- they can be underbaked, and thats what makes them so gooooood (also comes in a mix)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The cure for anything is salt water.  Sweat, tears, or the sea." -Isak Dinesen

Personal Swap?

My Wist.
Necia
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007 09:09:59 AM »

Hey There,

I'm interested in your brownie cup cake recipe.  I'm on the search for the perfect java brownie recipe, and actually think I'm gonna just add a t or 2 of instant coffee mix to it all.

TYIA,if u decide to share.

Necia
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Teleport Effect in Sony Vegas
How to Get Media Ready - DVD Studio Pro
How to Make a Title Sequence - Final Cut Pro 6
How to Use Color Correction - Final Cut Pro
How to Create Glowing Streaks - Motion 3
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...