A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,584
Currently Running With Scissors:
523 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Poncho infection  (Read 1708 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RenaissanceGrrl

the giant pear

View Profile
« on: October 19, 2004 12:45:20 PM »

Okay, when ponchos first started coming back into fashion I said "meh" and recalled the scratchy grannie square ponchos from my childhood. Then I knit a poncho for my niece and though "gee, these aren't so bad". Then I started Belle Star (it's almost a poncho) and thought "I might actually wear one of these". Now the infection has insidiously crept in and I wants me a poncho!

Problem was, I couldn't find any patterns I really liked until this. I could actually see myself wearing that (maybe just around the house, but possibly outside). The fringe is kind of neat, but I really like the neckline and hood.

My question to all of you: does anyone recognize that pattern? I've scoured Patons' website and have come up blank. In fact, Yarn Forward is the only place I've seen it. Has anyone actually seen the pattern? And how about Patons' Bohemian? Is it really as worm resistant as they claim? If it's not then I have to find some way to get the pattern not in kit form. Any help would be muchly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
-ren (who fears she will look like a giant fringed pear in a poncho, but is beyond caring)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

I made a hell of a lot of crafts to get here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004 12:58:55 PM »

A giant fringed pair............... .............you mke me laugh.  I think there might be something similar on the Lion Yarn site.  I'll check it out later.  And a few other spots too! 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

xmelinda
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004 02:10:18 PM »

I know what you mean about wondering if a poncho is iffy considering my grown-up shape.  I particularly question the wisdom of a full drapy garment over my sizeable, um, "up top" parts.  But I so loved my poncho when I was a kid!  I've been thinking about trying to make one for years, and now they're all the rage again, I'm working on one.

It looks to me like the pattern you're looking at is for sale, so the best you can do is something similar.

Here's one that doesn't have a hood, but has a very similar shape:
http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/linda_poncho.html

This one has a cowl neck (neato!  and I want this woman's hair!)
http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/loretta_lynn_lg.html

This one is not similar, yet looks like a "poncho for people who think they don't like ponchos":
http://www.soysilk.com/poncho.html

I got all these from here, a pretty big link list for ponchos:
http://faerycrafty.blogdrive.com/archive/140.html

I've seen hooded poncho patterns around, though, you should do a Google search.

Melinda
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I live in that place between conception and execution" -- IQJones
RenaissanceGrrl

the giant pear

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004 02:47:21 PM »

He he he....Melinda, I wish I had your problem....the reason I said pear is that I have virtually no "up top" part, but vastly more below Wink

I honestly don't mind buying the pattern (I like it that much) but I haven't seen it listed anywhere other than in that kit (I'd buy the kit, but I've had bad chenille experiences)....and I've googled and googled and googled all for naught.

Maybe it shall be my holy grail poncho.....always gleaming there but never attainable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RenaissanceGrrl

the giant pear

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004 06:51:35 PM »

Okay, I've decided to go ahead and buy the kit on Yarn Forward. But I'm curious if anyone out there has seen/felt Patons Bohemian? I tried my local JoAnn's (only place around here to get Patons) and they don't have it yet (if they'll even get it at all [I live on the edge of civilization]). Is it nice? Is it plush? Are the colors pretty?

Just curious.

-ren the pear
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gluebelly
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2004 09:51:47 PM »

I am interested in your poncho, please keep us up to date.  I think if I get a job soon I might get the kit.

I have been eyeing Bohemian but have not been able to find it locally and since it is so new (it was available online before it was to be released) it isn't listed in the Patons store finder.  I recommend looking at the color chart on the Patons site as the YarnForward one looks a bit off from the other charts I have seen.

I think I'll heard over to KnittersReview and see if anyone there has tried the yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2004 07:26:41 AM »

I've seen and felt the yarn - it is nice and plush and THICK!   It's neat stuff.  It's actually 2 strands of thick chenille twisted around each other (so it has a twist in it, which is why it doesn't worm).  I haven't worked with it myself, but I've seen it knitted up, and it is neat.  It's a new yarn, which is probably why the Paton's website doesn't have the pattern book up yet.

I saw the yarn and the knitted pieces at a Patons/Bernat trunkshow - which was fun.  They recommended that when you join a new ball of this or any chenille, you do the following:
Take the last inch or so of your working yarn and the first inch of the new yarn.  Strip them both (get rid of the fuzzy chenille stuff, so you've just got the core string.
Now you've got two pieces of string.  Tie them in a knot, right up against where the fuzz starts.  Tie another knot so that it's secure, and trim the string ends.
Now you've got an invisible join and you can just keep knitting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RenaissanceGrrl

the giant pear

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2004 08:47:01 AM »

Thank you so much, melidomi! That's exactly what I was hoping to hear.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2004 09:29:56 AM »

Oh and most of the colors you'll notice are kinda tweedy looking.  The two strands are usually 1 solid and 1 multicolored (but in a salt and pepper way, not a spacedyed way)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
subloke
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2004 12:39:01 PM »

RenaissanceGrrl:  I don't know if you are still looking for this pattern (or if you have ordered the kit) but I was at the Patons site today and saw something that looked familiar.  The poncho pattern you linked in your original post is now free on their site:  http://www.patonsyarns.com/pattern.php?PID=1309

THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make an Accordion Memory Photo Album
How to Make Patriotic Flag Pins
How to Make Crazy Crayons
How to Decorate Bags with Apples
How to Make a Personalized Fish-Themed Invitation
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...