A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 300,949
Currently Running With Scissors:
711 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HELP! How do you measure circular needles?  (Read 1139 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

caprig
« on: February 18, 2007 10:48:28 AM »

Hi,
I have just started knitting- never could do it with metal or plastic needles, but since discovering bamboo, I can now knit and am very happy. Grin

Anyway, I have one set of circulars which measures 18" between needles.  I thought that a set of 16" circulars would be fine because it is only a couple inches shorter. Shocked

however, after winning the auction, I found the package for the bamboo needles I have and it says that it is a 29" needle!  That must mean that they measure from tip to tip- Cry

That would mean that the 16" sets I won on ebay are useless- how can you knit with only 4" or so between needles? Huh Huh

I am so confused. Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007 10:59:44 AM »

Not all circulars have the same length of needle.  Did the auction include a pic?  If not, try askig for one or a description of the item.  Somehow I doubt the cable is just 4" Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

caprig
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007 11:20:25 AM »

Not all circulars have the same length of needle.  Did the auction include a pic?  If not, try askig for one or a description of the item.  Somehow I doubt the cable is just 4" Smiley

Okay- I feel like such a dope but I have no stores near me and no one I can ask either.  I  have written the seller.

Can you tell me this- what is more advantageous to have- longer cords or shorter ones?  Why would you want shorter ones- what is the advantage?

Thanks- my mom knits but never has used circulars.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ibunnysavetroy
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007 11:23:11 AM »

i have a pair of 16"- takumi bamboo ones, and there is a 10" cord between them and i just measured the entire length and oddly, they are17".
however, you know that smaller circs are better then big, because if thepiece gets smaller then 29", the 16" ones will do fine. does that make sense?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

caprig
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007 11:26:02 AM »

i have a pair of 16"- takumi bamboo ones, and there is a 10" cord between them and i just measured the entire length and oddly, they are17".
however, you know that smaller circs are better then big, because if thepiece gets smaller then 29", the 16" ones will do fine. does that make sense?

Okay, then perhaps I will be fine- I just panicked because I got 10.5 needles and if the cord was only 4" then I could not use them!  I hate feeling stupid about this stuff.

Maybe the shorter ones will be fine.

I won 10-15 all of the sizes.  The photo of them looks like they might only be about 6 or 7" long cord, but not sure- it is hard to tell.

Hopefully the seller will be nice and able to help me.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007 05:50:59 PM »

If they're 16" total length, that would be okay for a lot of knitting -- hats, mittens/handwarmers, sleeves. If you're going to do a sweater, you may want to use 29" for the body, but 16" will be good for the sleeves and neckline.

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
tamagotchi
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007 06:00:22 PM »

I don't think that different sized circulars are really better or worse.  it depends what you want to knit.  as soozeq says, shorter circulars are good for knitting things that have a smaller circumference, while you would use larger circulars for things with a larger circumference.  bigger circulars are also good for knitting extremely large flat pieces because they help to carry the weight better.  does that answer your question?  I'm not really sure what you're asking.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ravelry username = tamagotchi
caprig
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007 06:04:51 PM »

I don't think that different sized circulars are really better or worse.  it depends what you want to knit.  as soozeq says, shorter circulars are good for knitting things that have a smaller circumference, while you would use larger circulars for things with a larger circumference.  bigger circulars are also good for knitting extremely large flat pieces because they help to carry the weight better.  does that answer your question?  I'm not really sure what you're asking.

The thing is this- I am just starting knitting- don't have a lot to invest in needles- and want the most versatile collection I can have to do as much with as I can.

If 16" are only good for really small things, then that will limit me to that- but if the longer ones are better because you can do small or large things on them, then that would be the most economical for me at this point.

Is that clearer?  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
okia419
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2007 06:23:40 PM »

I'd say get a length somewhere in the middle.  With magic loop, you can knit small circumferences comfortably, but you'd still have enough space for something bigger.  In fact, if you're comfortable with magic loop, you could buy really big needles and use magic loop for everything except maybe the bodies of sweaters and shawls or something.

To tell the truth, though, the length of the cord makes surprisingly little difference (at least to me).  For example, I knit an entire sweater on a 22" circular and had no problems.  It got a little scrunched in the bigger parts of the body, but I got used to it, and it was cheaper than buying more needles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Don't look at me with that tone of voice."

"Ah, the pitter patter of tiny feet in huge combat boots. (pause) Shut up!"
zitrone21

Ooh, I'm so blurry . . .

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007 06:42:05 AM »

I think it would be better to go on the smaller side, too.  You can scrunch your stitches together on a shorter needle, but if your needle is too big, you won't be able to stretch the stitches out enough to join in the round.  In other words, you can more easily knit larger circumferences on shorter needles (within reason) than you can knit smaller circumferences on longer needles.

I hope that makes sense and that whatever needles you did get will work out okay for you Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Using the Zoom Tool Shortcut in Photoshop Elements
Using the New Lomo Effect in Photoshop Elements 9
Backing Up Photos
How to Escape a Dialog Box in Photoshop Elements
How to Fake Depth of Field in Photoshop Elements
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...