A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,578
Currently Running With Scissors:
642 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Recieving Blanket baby tote.......  (Read 3511 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

michaelasmom

Nobody is born a bigot..........

View Profile
« on: October 19, 2004 08:22:11 AM »

My sister recently had a baby and was complaining that all of the bags that she had gotten were a little too big and bulky for short trips (ie to the grocery store, wal-mart, or to a restaurant)  I was thinking about her dilemma while picking up toys for my daughter and had a brief flash of insight while holding a recieving blanket.  

Here are the results.  It is a very simple 2 sided tote with a shoulder strap and velcro closure.  I backed the blanket with the neatest stuff -- it is designed to be bedspread backing, so it is already quilted and finished on one side, you just add whatever you want to the other side and viola.  The 200 yr old lady at the tiny shop where I found it said that people buy it alot to make tied quilts.  I've been using it in purses and totes.  

The photos on the sides are just black and white printouts on cardstock that I covered with clear contact paper and sewed to the sides of the bag.  It's just the right size for short trips and she loved the photos.  The handsome little fellow is my nephew Phillip and the rotten toddler is my daughter Michaela ;-)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011 06:42:47 PM by alteredmommy - Reason: fixed coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Any idiot can handle a crisis.  It's the day to day living that wears you out."  -- Anton Checkov
beadgirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

ndnchick

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2004 09:33:30 PM »

I love it!  My sister in law wants me to make her a diaper bag the is "just the right size" and I know she would love a picture of her son on it!  Thanks for the inspiration!  (I want one with my baby's pic on it too Cheesy  ) 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pipkin2020
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2005 12:01:18 PM »

Wow, this is brilliant!  I don't know anyone who's pregnant except ME, so I'll have to make one for myself  Cheesy
Perfect!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Not enough is being done for the apathetic

http://www.pickymiss.com
michaelasmom

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2005 06:19:22 AM »

If you are planning to add pictures, then you might want to use vinyl rather than the clear contact -- the vinyl holds up much better (I've made several more bags since then  Wink )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Any idiot can handle a crisis.  It's the day to day living that wears you out."  -- Anton Checkov
pipkin2020
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2005 11:33:01 AM »

How about those print places that can print photos onto fabric (like t-shirts)? Would that work?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Not enough is being done for the apathetic

http://www.pickymiss.com
michaelasmom

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2005 01:07:17 PM »

That would be good too -- if they are durable.  My sister has seriously beat her bag up, but it is holding out ok.  At our local walmart they actually had kits for using your computer to print onto fabric -- I didn't look to closely at it -- but I did think that it looked pretty cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beadgirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

ndnchick

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2005 07:59:10 PM »

I made one!  I used the printable fabric from WalMart.  Cheesy  So far it has held up good.  I followed the colorfast treament instructions, nad haven't had any problems so far (cross my fingers) with the picture. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

michaelasmom

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2005 07:18:43 AM »

Ok, well now I am going to have to try the fabric.  THANKS!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make an Adorable Watermelon Grill for Your BBQ Centerpiece
How to Make a French Chocolate Mousse
How to Make Red Velvet Cupcakes With Festive Sprinkles
How to Make a Strawberry and Nectarine Crisp
How to Make Homemade Snickers Bars
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...