A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,586
Currently Running With Scissors:
501 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ideas for First Sewing Projects! (and advice, too!)  (Read 33473 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MurasakiB.
« Reply #150 on: August 12, 2012 02:02:55 AM »

Makeup rolls are great. There basically squares and there are not too many steps; plus there are a bunch of YouTube tutorials on them and the video instruction is a great help. Good luck and have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
johndavid312
« Reply #151 on: August 22, 2012 11:54:42 PM »

Learn new designs from your mother and implement them in sewing your pillow covers, curtains and on other small piece of fabric. Dont forget to practice them on any rough fabric before. Hope this will help. Thanks   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Astraea
« Reply #152 on: March 13, 2013 08:01:56 PM »

Silly question, but... what do you all do with your beginner projects?  I don't need bags or purses or aprons or placemats or pillows; if I don't already have too many of whatever-it-is (the bags and pillows), then it's something I'll never use.  The simple sundresses and skirts aren't usually styles I would wear, and even if I did, I wear skirts/dresses so seldom that I only need one or two.  Yet a beginner project isn't exactly something good enough to sell or even donate to the thrift store.  (I don't know anyone who needs any of those things, either, that I could gift them to...)

(I do plan on making a pair of pajama pants, and finally converting a sarong I have to a skirt like I've been meaning to do for years...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 14, 2013 05:27:53 AM »

In cases like you're describing, because I've been there, I save the project and re-use the pieces of it later, once I've gotten better.  I sort of always need PJ pants, so I keep those.  But skirts, aprons, purses, I threw the ones that were better called "learning experiences" than projects into a tote bin, and I've slowly been pulling them out and taking them apart--either to re-make them now that I'm more skilled, or to use the fabric and notions in other projects.  Or as a mock-up or practice run for a new technique.  I've used a skirt to make a muslin for a bag, I used the top of a dress, which was pretty well made, to make another dress, and the bottom of it to line another bag.  I've used any number of things to practice crazy quilting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
Astraea
« Reply #154 on: March 15, 2013 05:47:20 PM »

Thanks, Aislynn.  I thought of doing something like that but I wasn't sure if it was a dumb idea or not.  I just hate waste... even if it was cheap fabric and such, I'd feel bad just throwing something away so I'd rather "recycle" in this way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nicole_lee
« Reply #155 on: April 15, 2013 04:56:23 PM »

Mt first project was a couple basic pillowcases. They were easy to make (and easy to take apart when something went wrong) This also gives you the opportunity to play with the different designs on your machine without having to worry about ruining your project. Just hit up wal-mart for some clearance fabric that semi-coordinates with your room and have at it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CarinaJo
« Reply #156 on: April 16, 2013 07:43:21 PM »

My first projects were refashioned items. Now I'm trying to learn how to use and read patterns so I've been using vintage (50s-70s) Jiffy patterns because they are really simple. It has been a good stepping stone from refashioning to following a pattern. I got the patterns on eBay for less than $10.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TFE
« Reply #157 on: January 03, 2014 03:05:49 PM »

You can try children's clothes. One if the easiest things to make is a girls peasant dress.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014 04:07:36 PM by jungrrl - Reason: edited to comply with Craftster guidelines » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Children of the Jacaranda Tree by Sahar Delijani
Steve Schirripa Talks About Big Daddy’s Rules
Parents That Need to Be Slapped by Steve Schirripa
The S-Word by Chelsea Pitcher
40 Chances by Howard G. Buffett
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...