A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 298,764
Currently Running With Scissors:
512 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ideas for First Sewing Projects! (and advice, too!)  (Read 36130 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lil_abi
« Reply #140 on: February 10, 2011 06:35:39 PM »

Thought of another one -- pillow case dress.  You learn bias taping, draw-string casings, and have minimal investment in the materials/fabric.  Plus, they're forgiving and cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama to baby twins.  Frantic crafter while they nap!

My blog: http://SLiPsofthetongue.wordpress.com

DH's humorous and often offensive blog: http://mymasonicapron.blogspot.com
3minions
« Reply #141 on: February 11, 2011 11:35:05 AM »

I'm a total sewing newbie and I just bought a new machine in December and have tried a few projects since then to learn to sew. The place where I bout my machine offered a free "get to know your machine" class, which was very helpful. It was nice to know a little about how things work on my machine before I started trying to learn the actual sewing stuff. I didn't have to look in my book so often to figure things out while working on my first projects. So I highly suggest this if you can find a place near you that does a similar class.

After that, my first projects were pillowcases. I bought sale fabrics that I liked so if I totally messed up I wasn't out a lot of $.  Shocked Besides that, something I can really use. After that, it was a fleece blanket (2 big pieces of fleece sewn together all around-- good practice for squaring up and rotary cutting---whew!). Then I moved on to simple drawstring bags and totes, which were great to learn several new techniques on a small scale. Also, coasters and hot pads are great for the same reasons, including using different fillers, fusible backings, etc, also on a small and friendly scale.

I found that for me, starting with small projects that I actually had hopes of finishing and not too complicated has helped me gain some confidence to move on to more and bigger projects. Also, I have a short attention span, so finishing a complete project in a couple of hours was great!

Anyway, having so much fun learning and good luck to all the other new sewers out there! I've bought a couple of books but haven't really dived into them yet to say if I think they are helpful--but soon I hope!

Just finished a cute fabric envelope yesterday, but I read on here somewhere that you can't post pics until after so many posts, and this is my first one....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HongKongChick
« Reply #142 on: March 22, 2011 08:57:53 AM »

i am pretty new to sewing as well, bought my first sewing machine in May last year, sewed some very simple Ren Fair costumes with the help of my neighbor. then i went to buy bunch of easy patterns and just started making them. now i am into recycling old jeans or sweatshirts, plus i cut out all the designs and logos from tee shirts to make a quilt.  i also make my own clothes now, simple clothes of course.

but i'd say a newbie should check out easy patterns to try to make something and learn all the terms in the pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweatereyes

We are but lovers.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: April 06, 2011 08:01:54 AM »

Although I have had a nice, vintage sewing machine for more than a year.. I've barely used it.  Sad  (I'm not going to lie, I have been afraid of it, I've never sewn before).  I have finally decided to sit down and actually learn how to use it, and the first project that I plan on making is a basic circle skirt.  I've seen a lot of beginner tote bags, but they're just not something I'm interested in making.  But, before I start on that skirt, I am going to go through all of these pages and find more inspiration!  Thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ill weave your names into my ribcage; lock your hearts inside my chest.
Regain the passion I once carried; do away with all the rest.
I tore the sickness from your bodies; smashed its head against the bricks.
I made a castle from its bones that you may always dwell in it.
sewsweetness
« Reply #144 on: June 09, 2011 10:36:43 AM »

I think a pillowcase is probably one of the easiest projects for a beginner...straight seams, and you can even learn about French seams in order to make it seamless. :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ShaySews
« Reply #145 on: September 06, 2011 03:55:01 PM »

A real easy and useful project is pillowcases! They make GREAT gifts too! You can move on to pillowcase dresses and tops from there if you would like to.

Some other easy things would be lounge pants and tote bags.

Many fabric or craft stores carry easy patterns. You may want to look there for some ideas!

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
junbits
« Reply #146 on: October 03, 2011 06:10:12 AM »

Hi just knew to sewing got a sewing machine about 4 weeks ago and have been mucking around getting to know it and now feel like i would like to make something not sure what must add think to start with it has to be something smallish any ideas or help would be much appreciated thank you.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: February 01, 2012 11:13:43 AM »

Hey all!

We just put together a list of 9 great beginner sewing tutorials! We've listed them in such a way that hopefully even if you have very little sewing experience, you can follow the tutorials and gain experience, knowledge of some sewing basics, and confidence! We'll even let you know what you can use each tutorial to learn or practice. Smiley
http://www.craftster.org/blog/nine-great-sewing-projects-for-beginners/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SewingSarah
« Reply #148 on: April 17, 2012 04:26:12 PM »

I just sewed the little kickers patterns from simplethingspatterns.com! It was a pdf and I am so proud I was able to figure it out.

I know they are a new company, but I was inspired by the pictures of the ones I saw on their facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/simplethingspatterns
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jewel Crafts by Jenn
« Reply #149 on: August 08, 2012 05:56:16 AM »

I just purchased my first sewing machine this week and it should arrive today or tomorrow.  i have a lovely best friend/crafting mentor who has helped me get a general idea of a machine and how it operates, as well as getting me some supplies that I will need to get started.

My question is: what is a good beginner project?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Rechargeable Battery Solutions
Using Printer Transparency Gels for Speedlights
Using Ball Bungee Cords Is Cheap and Handy
Optical Slave Flash For Any Camera
Building a DIY Flash Diffuser
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...