A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,041
Currently Running With Scissors:
625 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ideas for First Sewing Projects! (and advice, too!)  (Read 31285 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

captain_obvious

it's a chicken pox paradox.......need i say more?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2006 01:50:40 PM »

the school year is almost over and i still need to finish 2 projects for my sewing class, i'm starting on a skirt but i don't even have the first step done. Tongue...............Doe s anyone know a really fast and extremely easy project i can do?...........I'm still a newbie and honestly i'm not very good at sewing yet (NOT AT ALL).........any input whatsoever would be GREATLY appreciated...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The time has come, the Walrus said,
To talk of many things:
Of shoesand shipsand sealing wax
Of cabbagesand kings
And why the sea is boiling hot
And whether pigs have wings.
rostitchery

almost perfect is good enough

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2006 03:10:16 PM »

what projects have you done so far?

for skirts, i think a wrap skirt is simplest.  for tops, a t-shirt or tunic.  also, tote bags are easy.

there are really lots of very simple versions of just about anything you want to make, so choose something and we'll help you out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

who i am: www.ella-echo.com
what i do:  www.rostitchery.com

"when was the last time you did something for the first time?"
meanbean
Naughty, with a pinch of Nice for a good bite

The Means To Hold Your Beans

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2006 03:12:07 PM »

totally - the easiest way to go (for me at least) is a circle skirt (do a search on here, there's several good tutorials)

For a second project, I'm agreeing with the totebag - do a search for the Jordy tutorial.  Easy peasy, and looks good to boot Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ryoruki
the crazy lady

You may be right, I may be crazy...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2006 03:20:21 PM »

purse and wallet combo? and circle skrits are pretty easy, you could also make a drawstring bag or something along those lines as well Smiley good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

As grad school eats my soul and time, i slowly begin to craft again...

Life is not complex. We are complex. Life is simple, and the simple thing is the right thing. -- Oscar Wilde
Divabunny

Teach Me, Dear Creature...

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2006 09:54:27 AM »

So I scored a sewing machine on Black Friday because I've been wanting to learn how to sew for the longest time now. I've never used one, and my hand sewing is pretty craptastic. Can someone point me in the direction of an easy beginners pattern or website? Honestly, how hard is using a sewing machine? I'm really intimidated  Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
m*babylon

you can't get there from here

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2006 03:27:48 PM »

the manual should help a great deal, and i highly recommend the book "Sew U: Built By Wendy" - check the thread in the sewing pattern reviews section for more info - and any sewing pattern marked "easy." (simplicity & new look patterns have a ton of easies)  the Sew U book actually comes with three patterns in varying difficulty - an a-line skirt, a button down shirt, and bootleg pants - and a perusal of pattern books at your local sewing shop should lead you to other easy patterns like drawstring skirts & pants, great first projects.

good luck and have fun! don't get discouraged if everything doesn't turn out great at first, sewing takes some trial and error to get the hang of, so my suggestion is to dive right in! there are plenty of helpful folks here to assist if you get stuck. =]
a*

oh, and sometimes the very best first project if you're really intimidated is a basic square pillow.  get a yard of cute woven fabric and have at it...it'll addict you before you know it!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006 03:30:50 PM by m*babylon » THIS ROCKS   Logged

just a city boy, born & raised in south detroit
he took the midnight train going anywhere...
i.am.flowerchild

Hello from Australia!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2006 07:53:28 PM »

Yep, just pick the Easy patterns - they really are easy.  Just make sure they don't have zips or complicated waistbands.

You'll be surprised how easy a skirt or simple top is to make.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Divabunny

Teach Me, Dear Creature...

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2006 11:06:38 AM »

Thanks ladies! I actually ended up picking up the "SewBaby" Double duty bag. I LOVE it, it came out great. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be. Now I just have to work on keeping my lines straight. I got a little wonky in some areas. I guess that's something that just improves over time??? Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
m*babylon

you can't get there from here

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2006 12:35:10 PM »

Now I just have to work on keeping my lines straight. I got a little wonky in some areas. I guess that's something that just improves over time??? Undecided

it does improve over time with practice, and also having a light foot on the pedal helps as well.  i have a bit of a lead foot, so it took a while for me to get the hang of finding a nice slow spot...when i started out it was either sew at a groaning crawl or sew so fast the table shook! =]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

just a city boy, born & raised in south detroit
he took the midnight train going anywhere...
solikecandy
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2006 03:45:42 PM »

My 9 year old daughter got a very basic sewing machine from Santa this Christmas, and while I'm excited at the thought of turning her loose and seeing what she comes up with, I don't want her to be disappointed if her creations don't always turn out right.

Any websites with free patterns for kids? (Not patterns to make for kids, patterns for kids to make.) She's really creative and driven, but I have no idea what to start her out on. The only thing I can really do with a sewing machine is a straight line every now and then.

Thanks in advance!
Candy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
I Love It All: HardWired Behind the Scenes
Stylish Skirts In Sheer Fabrics
Victoria Beckham Designs Chic Denim
How to Dress for Your Hair Color: Brunette
Beyonce Debuts Her New Bob on Stage
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain
Here Kitty, Kitty!
Meatless Monday: Vegan, Raw, Gluten Free Chocolate Bars

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...