A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,710
Currently Running With Scissors:
470 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ideas for First Sewing Projects! (and advice, too!)  (Read 33701 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ryoruki
the crazy lady

You may be right, I may be crazy...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2006 09:18:35 PM »

anything with a pattern, start small, like wallets or purses, or if you have relative or friend that sews well you can have them help you with a bigger project Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

As grad school eats my soul and time, i slowly begin to craft again...

Life is not complex. We are complex. Life is simple, and the simple thing is the right thing. -- Oscar Wilde
4Winds
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2006 10:48:24 PM »

I started my kids on pillows.  My grandmother started me on simple skirts with elastic waistbands - Sew a tube, then a casing, run the elastic through and hem.  My mother was horrified when I insisted on wearing the first one I made completely by myself to the school Christmas program - lavender satin with hot pink thread, but I felt beautiful.
Reconstructions are good because you can learn a lot from taking things apart and if you screw up, it was on something you didn't want anyway instead of spending a ton on patterns and fabric that you never use.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness because it shows me the stars.  ~ Og Mandino
I am the light of the world... ~ Jesus
torilimcadle
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2006 03:32:34 AM »

Do you have someone to help you or reference to?  If so, just take the plunge and just make some simple piece of clothing.  McCall's 4875 is a circle skirt.  It's an easy circle skirt and look amazing.  Simplicity 5564 are a bunch of skirts.  I've made the one with scalloped edges.  Simplicity 5923 are pj pants that are a bit more challenging, but look awesome also.  I've made all three pattens listed here, so you can just message me if you decide to do one and need help.

If you don't have someone to talk to, just some on here and ask someone!

You could also do a tutorial on here - they are awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If we choose, we can live in a world of comforting illusion.
-Noam Chomsky.
rostitchery

almost perfect is good enough

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2006 07:06:30 AM »

there is a beginner version of anything you want to make, so:

what do you WANT to make???

that is a good place to start.  tell us what sounds exciting, and we'll point you in the right direction.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

who i am: www.ella-echo.com
what i do:  www.rostitchery.com

"when was the last time you did something for the first time?"
zycho
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2006 10:05:59 AM »

Here is are some websites that have sewing projects that can work for beginners, but the projects are medival/fantasy related.

http://amtgard.com:8080/howto.html
http://home.clara.net/arianrhod/Aldebaran/DoItYourself/index.html

PS: They are the DIY sections of LARP groups. One of the is based in the UK somewere.

Or you can try back issues of Renaissance magazine (http://www.renaissancemagazine.com).

Another suggestion is to go with patterns such as Kwik Sew, Simplicity or "Patterns For Dummies". About the "For Dummies", I'm not kidding, they do exist.

http://mizubara.blogspot.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged
iloveyourtoes
different

to be irreplacable...one must always be unique

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2006 08:27:18 PM »

I've got my mom to help me out...she's hoping to learn her stoopid daughter in the ways of sewing before I go off to college...which is in about....five months?   Roll Eyes

I think she was wanting to start with the simple skirt idea, but i like the idea of the reconstructions too.  We live in a teenie little town full of thrift stores and junk from all the local old people...lot's to look through.

I really appreciate all the advice!  Do you think it'd be beneficial to get some kind of reference book to help?  I read somewhere that the Reader's Digest Beginner Sewing Thing was pretty good...
<33333
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I am of old and young, of the foolish as much as the wise;
Regardless of others, ever regardful of others.
Maternal as well as paternal, a child as well as a man,
Stuff'd with the stuff that is coarse, and stuff'd
with the stuff that is fine."
Walt Whitman
rostitchery

almost perfect is good enough

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2006 03:08:30 AM »

Do you think it'd be beneficial to get some kind of reference book to help?  I read somewhere that the Reader's Digest Beginner Sewing Thing was pretty good...
<33333

of course you need a reference book!  i like the better homes and garden sewing book, 1961 edition, because it was written at a time when people didn't have things like rotary cutters, sergers, etc, so it explains how to do any sewing operation possible with just a simple sewing machine and ordinary sewing tools.

the reader's digest books are also good, as are any of the older books published by the machine companies.  look on ebay, you'll find lots of good stuff there for a great price.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

who i am: www.ella-echo.com
what i do:  www.rostitchery.com

"when was the last time you did something for the first time?"
shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2006 04:18:08 AM »

The readers Digest one I have is from the 70's. Awesome!

Also the Singer company out out a book like it. It's great too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames .com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
washu
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2006 09:04:28 AM »

My favorite starter project is elastic waist cotton print pajama pants.  Even if they don't come out perfectly you can still use them.    Cheesy  Simple skirts are good, maybe drawstring if you don't want that grandma elastic waisted look.  As  rostitchery said, what do you want to make?  It's important to want to have whatever it is, so you're motivated to finish!  Smiley

I'd steer clear of a wallet, I guess, because they are small and sometimes small things can be sort of difficult because you just don't have space to manuever.  A tote bag or purse would be really good tho'.

If you want a modern book (the vintage ones are great; I had a 1970s one from Simplicity), I like Sandra Betzina's Power Sewing.  It has a lot of good suggestions that pattern guides somehow don't always include.  Huh 

Speaking of patterns, McCalls carries Palmer/Pletsch patterns, which have extremely thorough, instructions.

There are also other posts on Craftster where folks suggest really great beginning projects, books, and other tools to get going.  A very talented and helpful bunch of people!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smarmyclothes
lex fiend

i can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2006 04:20:56 PM »

you should check out the tutorials at www.WhatTheCraft.co m
there are lots of pretty easy reconstructing and sewing projects with tons of pictures and examples.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do Modern Hairstyles
How to Do a Half Up Hairstyle
How to Use Egg as Hair Conditioner
How to Treat Dry Hair
How to Curl Your Hair Extensions
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...