A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
316 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ideas for First Sewing Projects! (and advice, too!)  (Read 36936 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

clearskies
« on: October 19, 2004 06:43:28 AM »

So, I learned how to operate a sewing machine this weekend! Wahoo!
My mom lent me her Singer that she got when my parents got married in 1961 -- still works great, although it's a far stretch from anything fancy.  I plan to spend my time learning how to use the thing, and practicing stiching in general.

Any thoughts on an easy first project to attempt?
Any other general tips for a newbie sewer are much appreciated!  Cheesy

Thanks!
Clearskies
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011 04:17:32 PM by Aislynn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I want to be cool, tall, vulnerable and luscious.  I would have it all if I'd only had this much."
NessaGurl
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004 07:13:18 AM »

Hey Clearskies

You could try a simple coin purse or try a jordy bag...they are fairly simple projects and the tutorials are easy to follow...
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=7866.0

you could also try making one of these super cute monsters too
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=5843.0

another good starter project is a pillow...you just make a cover to fit any size pillow, covers are easier to make then the pillows that are stuffed and sewn.

good luck
nessy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy Shop...
http://thislittlebird.etsy.com 

My Wist
http://www.wists.com/ThisLittleBird

I would love to do a personal swap for Quality, well made felt or crochet play foods for my daughter... contact me if you are interested. Check out my shop to see what I could make for you
dyabolica

Gaze into my eyes and submit to my puppy dominion!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004 07:28:34 AM »

potholders, pincushions an apron, or do what my daughter did draw a bunch of random lines on paper and practice sewing weird shapes on the paper, just dont thread the machine. She has actually made cute cards using the sewing machine to punch patterns on the paper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

R.I.P Jon 7.15.07 I will never get over losing you!
End the war in Iraq, we have lost enough our
Fathers, Mothers, Sons and Daughters! I won't be on Craftster for a while, I am just not feeling creative.
variableenigma
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005 05:45:09 PM »

I got a sewing machine for Christmas last year, and I've still yet to really use it! I'm a little afraid of it, frankly.

I need some project ideas to get me started. I have little faith in my abilities, but as with most things, I'm probably more able than I think I am. So basically, I need some really easy stuff that I can do and then look at and say "Wow, so I CAN do it!"

I'm interested in just about anything. Reconstructions or patterns or just winging it from a tutorial, I just need something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sedrasmom
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005 06:04:05 PM »

Sedra's an absolute beginner (she's only 4 years old) and she just made me a purse out of a bandana! If you have about a yard and a half to two yards of fabric, a super easy project is to just sew the ends together with the right sides facing each other, then hem up the bottom and the top, with the top about an inch wide so you can put elastic into it. Instead of sewing all the way around the waistband,  you leave about an inch open so you can stick a safety pin/diaper pin/crochet hook/etc. with elastic up into it and tie it in a knot when it comes back out the other side. This is the easiest skirt to sew, a great beginner project.

Monica
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you never did, you should. These things are fun and fun is good!" - Dr. Seuss
spaz2phreek
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2005 06:07:25 PM »

get some really basic cotton cheap fabric and play around with your machine for a while first. You can also use old sheets and pillowcases. You can get those pretty cheap at thrift stores sometimes. make sure you aren't using something stretchy. That just complicates things and for now, that's not good. then try sedrasmom's idea for a skirt. It's a good place to start.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craft till it hurts.
duifje
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005 01:51:26 AM »

I'm in the same position as you are... I'd really like to sew, but have little experience.  So I started with the classic jean to skirt-thing. And it works... halfway now and I'm already amazed about my sewing-skills  Cheesy

Just search at the forum for jean to skirt and you'll find lots of ideas.

This one site I found really helpfull:

http://www.notmartha.org/tomake/jeanskirt.html

And: just look around the forum! Search for tutorials and you'll find loads of stuff.
Or you could try your hand at making a handbag or a purse. You won't need a lot of fabric and some patterns are quite easy.

Have fun!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

life is short eat dessert first
variableenigma
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005 05:42:00 AM »

Thanks to everyone for responding! I'm looking forward to trying some of those projects.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rrb21
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2005 05:50:39 AM »

mY FIRST PROJECT WAS A PILLOW! WOW! I KNOW! JUST SEW ALL THE WAY AROUND LEAVING A SMALL HOLE FOR STUFFING, STUFF AND FINISH BY HAND SEWING! VERY EASY! THEN I MADE ONE OF THOSE SKIRTS IN THE FIRST POST! GOOD LUCK!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knittingal

The Phantom of the Opera is there...*ooh, where?*

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2005 09:58:11 AM »

can u knit?? if you can, do what i did- i'm a complete no-no when it comes to sewing but what i did was:- for a purse/wallet
(1) knit 2 squares/rectangles (about 30 stitches)
(2) take 2 of the knitted sides- eg bottom and sides and sew (remember to do this inside out so that when you've finished and you've turned it back the right way- you don't see the stitching (and in my case that was a very good idea!)
(3) Get a zip that matches the colour of your purse- much easier than the whole press stud thing and carefully sew the material either side of the zip into the inside of your purse.
Voila! one seriously cute purse in which no-one can see any mistakes! mine was stripy- orange and blue *good luck*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knit, knit, knit, knit, knit, knit,
knit a lil scarf for me!
Cheesy
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chloe Hooper Talks About Tall Man
Meet Author Elle Newmark
Meet Author Sandra Gulland
Meet Author Michael Katakis
Meet Author Carlos Fairs
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...