A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 298,712
Currently Running With Scissors:
621 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What Materials Do I need to Trace  (Read 1621 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Necia
« on: February 17, 2007 08:19:01 AM »

Hi All,

I have a bra pattern that I want to make, but I know I'm going to need a lot of mods.  So I thought I would trace the pattern before cutting it.  Only thing is, I'm not sure how to go about doing that.  So, what exactly do I need to trace?

I have pattern paper, and a tracing wheel.  Surely that can't be it.  Does anyone care to enlighten me?

TYIA
Necia
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hoxierice

Who knew tailoring was so much fun?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007 08:35:41 AM »

When tracing onto paper you usually use a needle point tracing wheel, here They are really hard to find in fabric stores. But they do have them--a little bit different in like art tools called "pounce" wheels like this
This makes tiny holes in the paper you are tracing to which gives you your line. You could also try using your regular tracing wheel and tracing paper, but chalk paper doesn't stick really well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Goodbye Tucson! I will miss how everything dried so quickly!
Rowdy Vamp Raquel
Sewing till the death...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007 12:26:01 PM »

I've used a tracing wheel before, and I've used a lightbox in my class (we are not allowed to cut patterns, so we must trace them and make our own). If you don't have access to a lightbox, and the pattern isn't that large, maybe you can stick it to a window?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Necia
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007 01:03:26 PM »

OK I have the needlepoint tracing wheel.  Now I need to find tracing paper, or can I use something else that can be bought from the corner store?  Hmn, windows.  What a  good idea. I guess I better get to it, while the sun is still out.

Necia
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dyno
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007 01:42:17 PM »

I kinda "gutterpunk" it. *L*  honestly, I just use what's lying around the house. I have a tracing wheel but never use it. Smiley

I just use regular tracing paper (from any art or office store) or Pellon grid to trace. I use tru-grid or quliter grid for making all of my patterns.
true-grid: http://joann.com/catalog.jhtml?CATID=57015&PRODID=60116&source=search
quliters gird: http://joann.com/catalog.jhtml?CATID=82284&PRODID=60096&source=search

I really like to use a non-repro blue pencil and a red colored pencil when drawing patterns. I don't really know why. I think I just got used to that from graphic design and they mark easily on the Pelon.

I use Dritz or Clover tracing paper to transfer darts and such.
Dritz: http://www.shiboridragon.com/Notions/Dritz-634-66.jpg
Clover: http://www.shiboridragon.com/Notions/Clover-Chacopaper-434.jpg

I have this nifty tool from a pottery class called a ribbon tool that is perfect for scoring paper and transferring pattern marks with precision.
ribbon tool: http://www.baileypottery.com/images/090-004.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hoxierice

Who knew tailoring was so much fun?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007 01:57:07 PM »

If you have a needle point tracing wheel and you are tracing onto paper, you don't need tracing paper. The tracing wheel will leave tiny holes in the pattern paper and that is your line.

People like different kinds of tracing paper. The kind at fabric stores is "no wax" it is chalk and leaves chalk lines. It mostly can be dusted off which is what you like or don't like. I like wax tracing paper, but I sew for theater which has different needs. I don't really want my tracing to disappear. (I don't know where you buy it).

So transferring to fabric you need tracing paper, transferring to paper you don't.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Goodbye Tucson! I will miss how everything dried so quickly!
dyno
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007 02:12:56 PM »

hoxierice,

re: transfer paper: ooh! good point. Smiley  I use wax-free chalk paper to transfer lines from pattern to garment, so I want the lines to dust off. When I transfer lines from one pattern to another I usually just trace through the paper, but if I can't see accurately I'll use the wax-free apper to transfer the marks and then draw over them with pencil so they're permanent.

oh, and the reason I like to draw patterns with pencil rather than pen or marker is because they pencil won't transfer or rub off ink onto the fabric. But as you pointed out, it really depends on your project. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stacysews
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2007 05:34:59 PM »

I use a product called Pattern Ease - it's found in the interfacing part of some fabric stores (you can also find it on line).  I have a tenedncy to use a regular ball point pen when I trace my patterns or if I need to trace something that doesn't have a seam allowance, I use a seam tracer (which comes in two widths 1/4" and 5/8").
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tipassoi
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2007 09:28:36 AM »

eeep I feel so low tech! I just use a pencil and white acid-free tissue paper (or greaseproof paper if I've not got any tissue - I'm too cheap to buy proper tracing paper). And for seam allowances I have two pencils taped together, with a cigarette lighter in between them, which draws 2 lines 5/8" apart.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
angeltreats
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2007 09:53:48 AM »

I am low tech too!  I use baking paper or greaseproof paper, and a coloured pencil or even a ballpoint pen to transfer the markings.  I had a Burda magazine that I wanted to use a pattern from, but no 'proper' tracing stuff so I used what was in my kitchen cupboard, it worked fine, and that's what I've done ever since.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Hunnie Pot Hat for Preemies Part 2/11
How to Crochet a Hunnie Pot Hat for Preemies Part 4/11
How to Crochet a Hunnie Pot Hat for Preemies Part 6/11
How to Crochet a Hunnie Pot Hat for Newborns Part 4/11
How to Crochet a Hunnie Pot Hat for Preemies Part 11/11
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...