A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
498 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: knitted halloween dog leash  (Read 1950 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DogGrrl
« on: October 18, 2004 08:46:07 PM »

Well, after MUCh trial and error I finally was able to make a knitted dog leash that is both strong and has no bounce!  I tested it today on my 80 lb Catahoula and a client's Mastiff and it held up like a champ!  Of couse the leash and collar were made for my other dog who is only 7-8 lbs but better safe than sorry!  I have never posted a pic (sorry - craftster newbie here!) so hopefully this will work!

« Last Edit: October 14, 2011 08:06:08 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
krazigal72
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Jeweled Whore

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004 08:51:30 PM »

thats so cute! and i love your puppy!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish go with the flow.

If you're gonna play with fire, then you're gonna get burned.

Craftster has the best Mod Squad ever. <3

Remind me that we'll always have each other
When everything else is gone.
Xiuxiu
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004 11:01:40 AM »

Gosh, it's so cute! (both your puppy and the leash)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

flossie
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004 12:02:25 PM »

a mastiff? phew!!!
(looks nice too!  Grin )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jpalamar
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2004 02:24:55 PM »

Wow!  A knitted dog leash!  I never thought of that!  How did you knit it to make it strong enough?  (I have a 60 pound boxer mix).  What a cute idea.  Hmmm, a matching color would be really cool too...

Also, did you add any hardware to it?  Like the clasp thing?  I'd love to know what you did!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DogGrrl
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2004 06:21:07 PM »

Thanks!  It is actually really quick and easy (after I figured out how to FINALLY make it strong enough and not stretch!)

I knit a black eyelash (can't remember the brand) and Orange Fizz.  I really liked the way the orange came through making it look really "Halloweeny"  I knit it in garter stitch doubling the width that I wanted the finish leash to be (around 10-12 stitches or so).  I knit it about 5 feet (4 feet for the leash and 8 to 12 inches for the handle loop.

I found some nylon webbing at a boat supply place and pinned the knittted piece around it and then sewed iit on both sides with a light monofiliment making sure I was sewing both the nylon and the knitted part.  I looped it around and made a handle and attached a leash clip to it.  Basically, the webbing is taking on the weight of the dog and knitted part is purely for looks.

For the collar I measured my dog's neck and subtracted about an inch for the buckle (the one drawback - I can't figure how to make them adjustable) knit the piece, sewed a plastic snap buckle on the ends and a D ring in the center.  I found a place in town that sells buckles and stuff but you could also use the hardware from an old leash or collar.

I tested the leash out on both my Catahoula and a Mastiff (the Mastiff pulls on leash) and it held up without any problems at all. 

It came out kind of thick but I like it that way because it looks extra fancy!   Now I am going to attempt to make a harness out of lime green Splash!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Emily
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2004 01:54:48 PM »

Great idea!  too bad I don't have a dog Smiley

Another easy way could be using an actual leash as the base...I remember seeing a thread about decorating flip-flops with eyelash yarn, I'm not sure the details but do a similar thing with an existing leash and collar...then the strength and hardware wouldn't be a problem!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DogGrrl
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2004 11:58:37 PM »

I tried reconstructing a dog leash but couldn't figure out how to do the handle loop.  My original idea was to have different leash and collar covers for whatever struck my mood but it didn't pan out. 

Thanks for the info - I am off to try to find the flip-flop thread!  Wow, I love this place!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Emily
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2004 08:44:19 AM »

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=6758.0

Here it is, turns out it was much easier to find than I thought Smiley 

It looks like they were made by making a rectangle and then just sewing it around the straps of the flip flop...that should work on a leash too...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2004 08:57:19 AM »

To make interchangeable leash covers I can think of 2 ways to make it work:
1) super easy way - just make a tube as long as the straight part of the leash (it won't cover the hand loop part).  You need to come up with a way of fastening it to the bottom of the leash (button sewn to leash and buttonhole on tube?) and for the top, you could do a little bitty strap thing that goes through the hand loop.
2) way that covers the hand loop -
    ok, say your leash is x inches wide, the straight part is y inches long, and the loop is z inches long (circumpherence of the loop). 
     knit a strip x"+ a little wide and y+z" long. 
     seam it into a tube for y", leaving a z" flap. 
     Get a z" long separating zipper and sew each side of the zipper to each long edge of the flap.
     sew the short edge of the flap down to the tube.
     Now you have a "leash skin" made out of knitting.  Unzip the zipper, slide in the leash so that the handle is in the zipper part, zip it up around the leash handle, and voila!  you're done. 

If that makes no sense, I can try and draw some pictures.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Basic Video Production Lighting Tips
Framing Your Shots for an Internet Video
Camera Work for Internet Videos
Plan and Organize Your Internet Video
The Film Lab: Aspect Ratios
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...