A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,127
Currently Running With Scissors:
631 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: home-made chocolates  (Read 2698 times)
Tags for this thread: chocolate  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

catmorley
Missyfit

a.tiny.dancing.doll

View Profile WWW
« on: January 11, 2004 05:35:36 AM »

Basically it all started off with having no money this christmas so me and Tom decided to make everyone chocolates. I bought one of the ready-steady cook chocolate machines but it didn't seem to work at all so we ended up making them manually. Here's how:

1. Get some cheap own-brand supermarket white, dark or milk chocolate, break it up into a bowl.

2. You can leave the chocolate plain or you can add flavouring. We tried out almond, rum and cherry.

3. Put the chocolate into the microwave for about 5 minutes (depending on how much chocolate you put in the bowl). Make sure to take the chocolate out and mix it from time to time.

4. When the chocolate is all lovely and runny get an ice-cube tray (we had cool little heart and star shaped ones from ikea). Drip enough chocolate into each of the little compartments in the tray.

5. Now you can get creative and add things to your chocolates. Putting whole hazelnuts into them tasted delicious. You can also try cherries, almonds, sliced almonds, walnuts and raisons.

6. When you're happy with your chocs put them in the fridge and let them set. This usually takes a few hours but if you let them set long enough they turn out looking fantastic.

7. To wrap up my chocolates I stole my dads box of quality street and took the coloured celophane part off.  When they were all wrapped up they looked so cute. You can also buy a couple sheets of clear celophane and cut them into a square. Place some chocolates in the middle of the square and then bring all the corners together and tie it with some ribbon.

Hope you enjoy xx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cut Out + Keep
A crafty and creative site filled with how to's, craft projects, DIY ideas and a crafty podcast.
chikki sixx
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2004 06:25:02 PM »

I was given a gift of homade chocolates that had orange cream and strawberry cream inside (my favorite!).  Does anyone know how to make them?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
iLoVeCaReBeArS
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2004 03:47:46 PM »

i would guess pour some chocolate in, and put it on the sides a lil, let it dry, put the cream in, and then pour  more chocolate Huh?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

boo
Bree
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2004 06:13:30 PM »

if you're melting chocolate in the microwave, you should make sure that the power is low, or else the chocolate will burn and that's just not good. I find that using a double boiler works best, you still have to watch that it doesn't burn but it's easier because I'm standing there impatiently watching the chocolate chunks melt! Also, adding a bit of margarine to the chocolate makes it easier to work with and doesn't change the taste.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Just throw caution to the wind... then sit back and watch your life begin"
chikki sixx
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2004 06:34:54 PM »

do you think you could buy the orange/strawberry cream or know how to make it?  That's the tricky part.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
iLoVeCaReBeArS
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2004 07:44:33 PM »

maybe strawberry jelly mixed w/ cream cheese? or orange juice w/ cream cheese? powdered suger would be good in it too
THIS ROCKS   Logged

boo
sparetoast
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2004 08:16:19 PM »

i made homemade chocolates for a little while, but i got frustrated because i couldn't properly temper the chocolate in the microwave to keep it from blooming.  any tips on tempering besides taking out the thermometer?

anyhow, to make filled chocolate, simply fill the mold with chocolate, and dump out.  scrape off dribbles while its still wet, then wait for it to dry.  pipe/scoop in your filling, then pour more chocolate on top and spread it around to cover all the way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazy_pinKy

i love crafting!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2004 04:04:49 AM »

I never put my chockies into fridge while setting, because then they won't come out shiny&glossy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
firefly

the giant tree starts as a tiny sprout.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2004 05:23:24 AM »

ok, i'm going to don my (former) pastry chef hat for a moment here...
if you really want pretty, shiny, tasty chocolates...there are couple of misleading tips in this thread.
first of all, microwaving is not recommended.  too unpredictable:hot spots in the chocolate will overheat it and produce that cloudy, dusty look on finished couvertures.
and letting them harden at a cool room temp is recommended over the fridge:too many odors in there to wreak havoc on the flavors of your candies.
don't believe me?  read more in these easy-to-follow candy-coating instructions:

http://ny.essortment.com/makingchocolate_rjpn.htm

oh, and feel free to mail me samples for a professional critique Wink mmmmmmm....
« Last Edit: March 22, 2004 05:25:41 AM by firefly » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Healthy Hair Makeover
How to Repair Chlorine Damaged Hair
Hair Makeover Tips
Hot Long Hairstyles for Fall 2010
How to Update a Side Braid Hairstyle
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...