A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 300,949
Currently Running With Scissors:
712 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Columbia / Howard County  (Read 1682 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Zelda.Suicide
« on: February 15, 2007 08:06:53 AM »

So I have lived here for about 2 years now but I don't really get out all that much (I'm a sahm of a one car family, that car goes with the husband to work).   I am wondering if there is a thrift store anywhere here in Columbia, I am always so jealous of people finding such great fabrics and old sheets and such in thrift stores because I don't know where the closest one to me is.  Where I used to live had 3 great ones and I am actually starting to miss that.  I know there are consignment shops around here, but are there any real thrift stores?  And if not IN Columbia, where would be the closest?

Also, any other sahm or crafty moms or crafty gals who don't mind a toddler around here, I don't have any friends here, I haven't made a single one in 2 years (I know it's pitiful, I'm just not very good at making friends, and never getting out of the apartment doesn't really help)?

And one last thing, does anyone ever do any of the crafty fairs and such here in Columbia down by the lake (across from the Mall)?  I went to one last year and it was really neat and I was wondering how much it was to get a booth and if anyone around here had done it or would be interested in going in together on a booth maybe?  I looked online for information on the Columbia Association website and other Columbia sites but I couldn't find very much information.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katietr
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007 08:10:12 AM »

Hi there - I'm in the Chevy Chase area, but I've heard of a thrift store in Laurel - Value Village - from some folks.  Might be worth checking out.  There are some good thrift stores closer to DC if you wanted to make a day of it - Georgia Avenue Thrift in Silver Spring and Unique Thrift in Rockville. 

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

theditzzz
Trish

With hair like a gobstopper-always changing color

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007 01:16:56 PM »

hey
i live in college park  but work with my parents over in jessup. as i recall there are few thrift stores in that area. i think one is called laurel thrift shop and i think the other is a salvation army. i dont know how good they are i just drive past them pretty much everyday in the summer. good luck!
~theditzzz
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hardlyacting
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007 02:54:40 AM »

There is a Goodwill that opened pretty recently that is right near the intersection of 175 and route 1. Its right in a shopping center with a My Organic Market and a handful of other shops.

And the Village Thrift that someone mentioned near Laurel is pretty good, as far as finds go. I always have to mapquest it to find it though, even though I think its just after the racetrack on 198..? Laurel Thrift is also an option, but can be a bit sketchy sometimes. I did find some amazing rainbow brite curtains once though!

As far as crafty fairs, the biggest once are holiday themed. Like the big one at Centennial. The Flier would be the best place to look for other options though. The Columbia Festival of the Arts is always a big thing during the summer months, so as it gets warmer, keep an eye/ear out for that. A lot of that stuff is done down at the lake front.

And, its a pimp, but if you're ever on the look out for something fun and pretty crafty to do, I work at a paint your own pottery studio, called The Pottery Stop. Its a good time, and we're very kid friendly!

Hope that helped!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vylentviolet
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007 10:11:34 AM »

Hey, I'm in Elkridge/borderline Columbia. There are a TON of secondhand stores in this area on Route 1 alone. I can think of four off the top of my head. The new Goodwill by Jessup prison (ha) is really nice and very clean and organized.
If you ever need a crafty/thrift store partner, I'd be glad to chill with you and your kiddie. Going to a commuter school has done zip for my social life, I haven't made any new friends for a long while. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://airrikka.etsy.com

personal swapper!!!
Grieney

rambunctiously soft-spoken

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007 11:07:52 AM »

Columbia gals! Although I only have gone to the Goodwill in Frederick (I'm there on the weekends), there is a great yarn store off of 108 just east of 29.  I can be kid-friendly so let me know if you want to get together! My BFF moved down to Raleigh a while ago so I can get lonely, too.  Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yes, my parents know that I'm a hooker

Wist : Blog : Etsy :
gypsysoul3
PinkBird Creations

take it light, and take flight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007 11:03:43 AM »

I just moved to the area less than a year ago, but have found that all you have to do is drive down Rt 1, running between RT175 and 198 in Laurel. There is a goodwill, salvo, laurel thrift store, a few antique shops (There are also quite a few antique/consignment shops on Main Street in Laurel, which if you're on Rt.1, you will pass Main St). there is also a fairly large thrift store on Route 198 (it's at the corner of 198 and 197) but i can't think of the name of it. (Village thrift maybe?)

hope that helps. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.pinkbird.net
uncommon, handmade jewelry, accessories, and wearable art.

on etsy: http://www.pinkbird.etsy.com

Read my blog: http://pinkbirdcreations.blogspot.com/
Sheva
A Real Jewish Princess

"Women in wigs and Men in beards!"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007 06:45:48 PM »

so i live in baltimore and there is a lot of thrift stores by me, and we are about 20 min from you. Right now there is an art fair on the harbor in Baltimore city its called artist on the waterfront or something like that http://www.bop.org/. They have two more sundays left this sun and July 1st. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bubblies11
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008 09:15:51 AM »

I just found this thread, and having just found a thrift store near me (YAY!) I thought I'd share:
There's a Salvation Army on Guilford Avenue in Savage.  It's huge and really nice- bright, clean... hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Clothes make the man- naked people have little to no influence in society"- Mark Twain
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Remove Blackheads
Why Gel Nails May Be Bad For You
Sam Rollinson - Model Profile - Interview & Runway
Why Do People Wear Makeup?
Get Marilyn Monroe’s Winged Eyeliner
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...