A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,365
Currently Running With Scissors:
423 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: burning my knitting stuff tomorrow  (Read 4536 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

april_cocaine
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2007 09:13:21 AM »

it's looking good!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

werthwqueerkids
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2007 09:29:28 AM »

a friend tried teaching me toknit a few years back we lost ouch i didnt touch any knitting and then last year i tried again. i think your casting on is fine, looks like mine. mind you all i have made is a scarf and a few squares/swatches. im lazy and impatient, not a good combination.

now im obsessed with crochet only becuase im scared to go back to knitting and keep making little squares.

ive crocheted a few headbands and started a blanket but like i said im super lazy.

best wishes and good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knit_north
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2007 09:39:38 AM »

looks good!!! keep going
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rhowyn
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2007 09:41:02 AM »

well, it's nice to know that I have company at least! but you need at least 2 useless to you magazines or books, or 2 0r 3 totally unreadable with out a knitter patterns you got off the internet from well meaning people who don't know what you don't know, and a few skeins of yarn from natural fibers that you know will burn for a really good knitting bonfire. I swear, we should never be turned loose with pointy sticks on our own. Just keep in mind these things:
1. you will not turn out anything recognizible for at least 6 months.
2. you will invaribly choose the wrong combination of sticks and yarn.
3. I don't care how nice/warm/cute that yarn is, your first project should probably be string so you can see what you're doing.
4. don't even think about stitch markers without guidance. do they go on the (a) yarn or (b) needles? then there's that whole size thing. there's no hope for me. I used up all of my stitch markers making Barbie doll bracelets long ago.
5. circular needles are another thing. nobody told me I needed sets. if i've got to buy both anyway, a circular and double points, why don't I just start on double points? I'll tell you why, those damn things SLIDE, another thing nobody mentioned. thus the bonfire.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zknits
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2007 09:48:06 AM »

just to add to everyone's support, it's hard to get a consistent cast on that isn't too tight or too loose in places...you'll get the hang of it!  your latest attempts look much better already!  just try not to be too perfectionist about it (i know it's hard!) and keep practicing!  Smiley
z
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my knitting podcast (knit obsession) at: http://seezknit.blogspot.com/

http://zknitsgoods.blogspot.com/
soozeq
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2007 10:16:55 AM »

No one should expect their first 10 (or 20) attempts at casting on or knitting should look like the finished projects from designers who've been knitting for years. Instead of trying to make a really cool piece you like right off the bat, practice on string (that's what I used to learn on, only thing we had in the house), or inexpensive yarn for a long time. Practice casting on, knit stitches, purl stitches, ribbing, other combinations, everything in the learn to knit sections... then you can tackle that really neat project instead of being frustrated that it isn't looking like the picture the first time you pick up needles.

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
cfbandit

Rock on with your bad self, Penny!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2007 03:17:22 PM »

I have to concur with Sue. My cast ons have gotten way better since I joined an afghan exchange and I'm on my 25th square.  The squares are made out of red heart, so at least they were cheap! And they're very good for learning new stitches on.

And practice with the videos as much as you can, the videos do help a lot!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog: http://craftingyoohooville.blogspot.com
My Wist: http://www.wists.com/cfbandit

Ravelry: cfbandit

Member of the Al-ette Fan Club
Rhowyn
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2007 05:50:20 PM »

So listen to Sooz! start to knit with string!
After telling everybody about my knitting bonfire preparations, I didn't mention that I didn't actually burn it all. I just decided that if I have to knit with the stupid yarn with no twist, I can't do it in black, at night. I dropped stitches that I didn't notice, I split yarn without noticing, and I really didn't notice that the hat I was knitting for my son would have fit a cabbage patch doll
The whole reason I learned to knit in the first place was to knit beaded bags, and I learned on size 0000 needles handed down from my mom. I so value her needles, but I caught my son roasting mini marshmallows on it with a lighter one time. neither the needle or the kid has ever been the same----
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2007 09:58:22 PM »

Black is hard even for experienced knitters to work on. I knit my sweetie a black cardi (his request - black is his favorite color) and it wasn't as bad as the last time I used black, but still not easy. Large stitches helped a lot.

I learned on size 0000 needles handed down from my mom. I so value her needles, but I caught my son roasting mini marshmallows on it with a lighter one time. neither the needle or the kid has ever been the same----

Heeeeheeheeheehee....

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Contagious Colors of Mumpley Middle School
The Fairest of Them All by Carolyn Turgeon
Shirley Jones on The Partridge Family
Shirley Jones Talks About Her Memoir
The Life of a Tudor-Era Chambermaid
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...