A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,032
Currently Running With Scissors:
487 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Digi vs The Human Hand  (Read 2993 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sewphoto
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2007 07:16:07 PM »

Here's the thing; True Artists's can make Art in whatever medium asked for.  If the forum asks for "digital" based art, then so be it.  I've had art shows based on my digital work.  On the other hand, making a piece of art with ones own hands is as part of the craft of Art as those that came before us.  Yes, the "Tablet" does feel like drawing, but is it?  What makes it work, I'll let you in on a little secrete, it's Algorithms, basic code, mathematical formula, (10101000).  Nothing to do with the placement of a "Real" object, or the flow of a real paint brush or pencil. We must learn from Art history to understand where we are going and more importantly what we are leaving behind.  That's why I think it's important to distinguish between what is Digital and what is Human Hand, no time in history has there ever been a tool that has changed the face of Human expression as much as the computer.
J
Remember this is all in the name of Art, thank you all for expressing yourselves, like in the Parlors of old and new.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
The Lorax
ariaya
Craft-a-holic

What your heart thinks is great, is great.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2007 01:31:10 PM »

I'm just finally catching up with this board .. this is a great conversation!

Personally, I like both Digi-art and hand-art ATCs.  They have different feels to both of them.  Often I combine the techniques ... making custom "diecuts" for collages or embish digital art.

Either way, I prefer a physical copy of the ATC .. printed or created.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Victoria
~ What your heart thinks is great, is great. ~
~ What Your Heart Thinks Blog ~ Twitter ~
missjulie
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2008 07:47:06 PM »

Here's the thing; True Artists's can make Art in whatever medium asked for.

*bump*

Anyway, to comment on the above quote and the topic in general...

I went to a formal art college, and I've used acrylic and oil paint, fiber, charcoal, pencils, conte crayons, clay, pottery, metals and jewelry, pastels... all of it. I then took digital art classes and have used the Adobe Suite and Corel programs...

Digital is just another medium to me. I can make art in any medium, but lately I've been doing things digitally. I went through a watercolor phase, an acrylic phase, a found art phase, a fiber art phase and now I'm in a digital art phase.

There are people who will argue till they're blue in the face that digital art isn't "art"... and they argued that a toilet wasn't art but I remember seeing Duchamps fountain in art history... history speaks for itself. Artists use what they have to use to make their art.

An artist is an artist no matter the medium.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Thats because youre a part of something larger. Like
being swallowed by something larger.

http://shinyshiny.wordpress.com
MunLtStmpr
We're on craftster because we love to create. Why should we settle for what we currently are?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2008 09:44:50 PM »

I haven't posted any ATCs in ages, but still want to throw in my 2 cents...  I crossed paths with the whole concept of ATC's while I was taking a Photoshop class, so my first ATCs grew out of what I learned in the class.

For the most part, I did so to practice and use the techniques I learned.  But it was also because my paper arts supplies were packed away for the foreseeable future Sad

So, with the understanding that the simplest definition of ATC was 'a piece of art that's 2.5" by 3.5" that's not to be sold," I found that making ATCs with Photoshop let me still create while my glues, scissors, papers, etc were gone.

Because I was working within the definition above, I do feel that I need to print and cut out the card to the size it's supposed to be.  If I post it online, I scan it just as the 3-D object it's supposed to be then post the scan.

I have yet to do any ATC trading, but as one of the appeals of ATC is the uniqueness of each card, printing only 1 card is the way to go for me.

But, because of the digital technique, I can see myself possibly taking an image and enlarging it into a postcard.  I wouldn't be able to do that with an ATC that I'd already traded, though, but I probably also wouldn't trade an ATC that I turned into a postcard.

I do miss the materials of paper crafting and there isn't the tactile therapy of paper and glue, but it's another technique and I have gotten lost in creating with it as much as the other techniques.

Plus, there's the benefit of portability in being able to have everything I need to play in my laptop and tablet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I find joy in creating and helping others create not just jewelry and crafts but best of all, the life they want.
MyPins
MyArt
Life & Creativity Coaching
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Get Vanessa Hudgens Boho Look For Less
Worst Dressed of the 2013 MTV VMAs
Best Dressed of the MTV VMAs
United States in Style: Portland
Fashion Fixes With Kelly Lee
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...