A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,852
Currently Running With Scissors:
650 Guests and 38 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Roethke adapted overbust corset *tute*edit 08.03.07  (Read 10825 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DillutedHopes
« on: February 14, 2007 11:49:35 AM »

I just got a sewing machine! So obviously what you do first is attempt to draft your own patterns for a corset and a pencil skirt- skirt first, I'm not that stupid (well that's your own opinion apparently)  as to try a corset with no machine experience! So I already tried hand sewing this amazing thing http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=122286.0 before Christmas and saw no-one had figured how to adapt it in to an over bust so I decided to have a bash, its not the best but quite good for a trail run, and the pattern will be easily remedied!
CORSET

Side

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/8085/p2130028vc8.jpg
Back
http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/8403/p2130029dk1.jpg

Comments, compliments, crits or questions welcome!=]

*edited 08.03.07 after third one I made- much better attempt I think lol. Will show ya all eventually =]*
For the pattern:

1) Take your measurements ( there is a lot of them but you need them)

Measure:
True Waist,
Hips,
Just below ribcage,
Just below bust (where the back band of a bra would go)
Largest part of bust,
Where you want the top of the corset to lie,
And finally, everything vertically between, so from the top of the bust down to the largest part etc.

2) Round each horizontal measurement to the nearest inch,  and minus the amount of cinching you want, although I don't think anything more than 4 will hold very well. (minus from all horizontal measurements, you get the biggest cinching on the waist by tying it correctly.)

3) Draw a line the length of the largest measurement, probably bust,  and divide it in to 6. Draw a straight vertical line on each mark. [ a]

I suggest using this order, however it is important that you use the largest part even if its not the bust for step 3. Bust, above the bust, below the bust,  ribcage,  waist, hips.

4) Take the measurement that you took between the line you just drew, and the next horizontal measurement, i.e.  2.5 between largest part of bust and top of corset, and mark this on to the vertical lines.[.b]

5) Divide the next horizontal measurement by 8, take this away from the first horizontal measurement, now divide the difference by 16.  

6) Mark this measurement perpendicular from the points made in step 4[.b]. Join the marks to the places done on the line in step 3[a]. You ought to have 8 trapezium shapes.

7) If using the suggested order, extend the lines made in step 3 downwards [c]. Repeat steps 4 ,5&6 so you have 8 hexagons.

8 ) Extend a line downwards from [d] repeat 4-6. Continue like this until finished.

9) Draw the shape of the top and bottom edges then number them and finally cut out

To make:

1) Its best to use the layer method if you use the Roethke cola bottle recycling gurdness, but for the last one I did, I use cable ties and they be all skinny and lovely so you can attach them any way you want- unless you do the whole sweetheart bodice thing- then I would stick to layering , so get hold of a lining,  and cover fabric (outside bit) and maybe a base fabric .

2) Pin and cut all the pieces, make sure you pin and tack all the pieces in the right order.

3) Sew them together.

4) Attach boning via boning channels in this sort of shape (well for a sweet heart type bodice its easiest and looks best imho lol):

Or alternatavly, if using a straightish top, you can do what you like really!!!=]

5)  Lie the 3 completed layers like this; lining- face up, cover- face down, base. Tack and sew.

6) Finish the raw edges and add eyelets.

7) Tie like this to ensure balanced cinching:  http://www.waspcreations.com/howtol.htm

Any questions just ask, I've never done this before so its probably not much help+ I don't know what I'm talking about, but I tried =]
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013 11:30:18 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working image(s) to link(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Calliel

Oh fudgemuffins.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007 11:54:03 AM »

Wow! Great job, especially for someone just learning. Smiley You'd have to be more daring than I to wear a skirt with a slit up the back, but it looks great on you. Keep it up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm not doing personal swaps right now, but if you're interested, go ahead and PM me anyway--maybe we can work it out for later. Smiley

Check out my mineral makeup on Etsy!

Blog: http://omgkate.blogspot.com/
Wist: http://www.wists.com/Calliel
Etsy: http://luire.etsy.com
DillutedHopes
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007 12:03:28 PM »

Wow! Great job, especially for someone just learning. Smiley You'd have to be more daring than I to wear a skirt with a slit up the back, but it looks great on you. Keep it up!
  Thanks lol its about 6 sizes to tight but never mind ( sorry about my figure and bad skin. I didn't realise my face was on the pics lol)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
violentjayne
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007 12:11:54 PM »

ohh I love it the corset is really cool and I like the lacy detail .. but I am especially in love with the skirt .. it is awesome ! and I love love love the tuley bottom
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aucuns_soins
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007 06:45:05 PM »

Wow. Now i feel all insignificant being a beginning sewer. Regardless, great job!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007 06:55:57 PM »

great job!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

joie

thread is clingy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007 12:29:19 AM »

The corset is very flattering, especially with the long front.  You're right, the skirt does look somewhat small... but great job overall!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Purity is the opposite of integritythe cruelest thing you can do to a person is make her ashamed of her own complexity"
morbidfaerytale

*~*Dance with me on plastic tears*~*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007 03:16:12 AM »

Yay!! The corset looks freeking awesome!  I love the front, it looks great on you Smiley And the skirt is so cute, i love the frill at the bottom ^__^
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PixieSkull
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007 08:21:25 AM »

Congrats on the machine work! But aren't pencil skirts supposed to be tight? Smiley

Great job on the corset. I'd like to know (even roughly) how you adapted it to an overbust pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!
chaoticpassion
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2007 08:25:50 AM »

I love overbust corsets so much!

How long did it take you to make it? I've been eyeing that tutorial for a while now, but I'm scared.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my site at www.mybunnygoboom.c om
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Flames
How to Draw Faces
How to Draw Clothes
How to Draw Cars
How to Draw Basic Flowers
Latest Blog Articles
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete
Mmm, Bacon!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...