A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 298,093
Currently Running With Scissors:
759 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Richard the Pygmy Puff. W/ Pattern  (Read 3723 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Michela
Hi, I'm Confused. And you are?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 14, 2007 11:43:46 AM »

Meet Richard, the white Pygmy Puff. The newest colour of the cuddly little friends breed exclusively for Weasley's Wizard Wheezes.

Small enough to hide in your pocket so you can bring him anywhere!

Just look at that adorable face! Get yours today! Only at Weasley's Wizard Wheezes on Diagon Alley and by Owl Post.

For all you muggles (and squibs) here is a pattern for you to make a replica of this adorable magical creature. It's ridculously easy. It takes less than one hour so make a whole herd!

needed:

-1 ball Bernat Baby Lash in Wee White. You'll use much less that one ball. You could probably make about 6 with a single ball. you could probably double up regular fun fur to get similar results. Baby Lash has a thick core so you can get a tight fabric.

-size 3 needles (3.25mm). less experienced knitter, or those with less than perfect eye sight can easily go up a few sizes, so long as you get a nice tight knit. You want as little drape as possible.

-strong white thread or fingering weight white yarn. Anything to seam up the sides. Left over baby lash won't work.

-a yarn needle

-something to stuff him with (I used left over dryer sheets and some cottom balls.  You don't need much, about half a cup.)

-2 size 10/0 seed beads. Those are the small ones for any non beaders who have now idea what I'm talking about. The larger ones don't really look right.

-a bead needle (or a fine sewing needle. It has to fit through the bead) and matching thread OR tacky glue

-sharp scissors

Directions:
CO 25 stitches in what ever manner you deem suitable. Knit in reverse stockinette for 28 rows. BO however you little heart desired. You could now have a squareish piece of fabric about 4-ish inches by 4-ish inches (I didn't bother measuring it since it really doens't matter.)

Now comes the part I am having trouble explaining. Its really not hard though. Using the yarn needle and fingering yarn seams the edges closed. The seam itself is like a wonton. That is, bring all four corners together at the top and sew 3 of the edges together with a mattres stitch  making sure that the knitside is facing out. You want the purlside, with all the fluff on the inside at this stage. Leave one edge open to turning inside out and stuffing. (For anyone confused about my rather bad explination of the seam, theres a picture of what it should look like on my blog. Along with some more pictures of the little guy)

Flip inside out and stuff. Sew closed with a whip or running stitch. Something that won't be very visable.

Now he needes some eyes. Using the sharp scissors trim a 1 cm sqaure patch where ever you want his eyes otherwise its just too much fur to see he little face, not to mention ehere you are sewing/glueing. Once you are happy with the trim, sew/glue his eyes on.

Fluff his fur and you are done! Now go make him some friends lol.

What do you guys think?

edited to add: I posted a new pygmy puff with a picture on my blog. I used a different and more common yarn so you can see the different results you can get
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007 08:28:46 PM by Michela » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I craft so I can avoid reality.....
My wist
tanyakitty
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007 11:58:57 AM »

veeeerrrrrrrrrry cute Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

find me on ravelry: tanyakitty
subliminalrabbit
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007 01:16:04 PM »

ha ha ha AWESOME!

back in the day when i worked on the harry potter videogames (i know, i'm insanely jealous of myself too) i made a coworker puffskein slippers (not knit), but alas, no photo!  i think you'd have loved 'em!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a little city knitter in a big, big world.

http://www.subliminalrabbit.com
ravelry id: subliminalrabbit
twindekn
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007 01:37:27 PM »

So cute!  Have you seen that this is coming out soon:

http://www.amazon.com/Charmed-Knits-Projects-Harry-Potter/dp/0470067314/sr=11-1/qid=1167073038/ref=sr_11_1/702-1585155-4463233
THIS ROCKS   Logged
makeleveesnotwar
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007 02:06:08 PM »

That is so freakin' cute      Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ugliducklyn
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007 04:03:44 PM »

Sweet!  I'll have to make a bunch of these cuties!  Thanks for sharing the pattern!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vtgirl
"Impossible sir, it's in Johnson's underwear."

Loves flow charts.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007 07:22:40 PM »

Wicked!  Wink

(oh and that HP knit book went on my amazon wishlist so fast it didn't stand a chance!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're referring to the incident with the dragon, I was barely involved." ~ Gandalf

Twitter = sicavt
twilight
Craftista

Aren't we all lamas really...on the inside?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007 08:19:15 PM »

Adorable! The twins would totally have an exclusive color.

What if you knit it in that glow in the dark yarn? Then it would "magically" change colors.

That Harry Potter knitting book looks way cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It's just a ride."-Bill Hicks
My crafting blog: http://twilightkallisti.com/
Twitter: @TwilightChaos
Michela
Hi, I'm Confused. And you are?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2007 09:34:23 PM »

I want glow in the dark yarn! That would be totaly insanly cool! I was thinking of making the next one with some sparkly yarn to add some magical-ness to it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I craft so I can avoid reality.....
My wist
wanderforth
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2007 09:59:56 PM »

Adorable and bookmarked so that one day I too can have a herd of pygmy puffs.

Lisa
Touch the puppet head
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Memo to myself to do the dumb things I gotta do; touch the puppet head"--They Might Be Giants

"Freedom is a scary thing.  Not many people really want it." --Laurie Anderson
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Street Style: Did We Catch You Holiday Shopping?
Street Seen: Anna Dello Russo H&M Takeover
Shop Around: Maison Kitsuné
Shop Around: Creatures of Comfort
100 Perfect Outfits: Lauren Edelstein
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...