A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,587
Currently Running With Scissors:
773 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Travel to Charleston: What's Crafty? What's Cool?  (Read 1677 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pumpkingirl
« on: February 14, 2007 06:21:55 AM »

I'm thinking about a trip to Charleston next weekend to escape from chilly MN. What's cool to check out? Crafty stores? Thrift shopping? Neat hotels/BnBs?

Gimme the scoop on C-town!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midwest Craftster!
pumpkingirl
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007 12:33:52 PM »

Well, I just returned and I did find one crafty shop:

Knit
87 Wentworth St.

It's downtown and it's really cute...just a few blocks off King St. (the main shopping street). It also had two cute Schnauzers, which my husband and I enjoyed petting maybe moreso than the store itself. : )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midwest Craftster!
lindsoriah

In character at all times

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007 10:12:44 AM »

I second the Knit store recommendation.  If you use yarn for anything crafty you will probably wet your pants with excitement.

There are tons of cool galleries and antique stores just along the main drag "King street" and lots of fun little bistros to get snacks.  On market street there's (duh) the market which can be cool too.

I recommend popping into the various boutiquey stores if not to shop then to look around for flyers/brochures about the artsy scene in Charleston.  my boyfriend and I wandered quite a while and then found a map with highlighted cutesy stores, and we got a lot more out of our wandering!  Either way you're going to love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps, accessories, disguises, animals, riding my bike, pen pals, and the Lone Star State.
mlwl
Wist Klepto

Wheeeee!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007 05:18:08 PM »

Yeah, there is definitely a TON of inspiration to be found, if not actual supplies.  Knit is fantastic (and across the street from where I work... a dangerous combination).

There's an Artists & Craftsman Supply on King, way down away from the Battery.  There is also a (chain?) store named Black Market Minerals next to the market that has some great jewelry supplies/ goodies.

Really, since you'll be there for a weekend, I most highly recommend the Farmer's Market at Marion square.  A bit pricey, but there are some great art/ jewely/ photo/ etc. spots... plus the food is fantastic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lucy van pelt
in the sky, with diamonds

lie back and think of england

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007 10:34:53 AM »

Are there any good thrift stores or vintage clothes shops near the downtown area? I'll be there next month.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

boxercurl
Wist Stalker

Boxers are the clowns of the K-9 world

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008 12:54:09 PM »

Are there any good thrift stores or vintage clothes shops near the downtown area? I'll be there next month.
I know this is incredibly late but for anyone checking for the same info there are a ton of really cool stores Downtown,  Granny's Goodies, Exchange Factor, and there is a store on East Bay St. near the Market but I can't remember what its called.  Sorry.  There are several other little neat stores in the King St. area that have really neat and original things you'd have to just walk around and check out anything that looks interesting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I ask for so little...just fear me, love me, do as I say and I will be your slave.

Boxers are the BEST!!!
www.wists.com/boxercurl
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do Cross Stitch Embroidery
How to Cross Stitch the Alphabet
How to Change a Needle Light
How to Stem Stitch
How to Baby Cross Stitch
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...