A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 298,747
Currently Running With Scissors:
461 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Elegant 18th birthday gift for an "Audrey"?  (Read 2063 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Irish_Belle
I put my hands among the flames. Nothing burns.

View Profile WWW
« on: February 14, 2007 02:42:51 AM »

Ok, so my friend will be turning 18 in april.. I'm planning far ahead as I'm in exam year, and I don't want to be rushing at the last minute and wasting my valuable study time.

Anyway.. My friend is a very Audrey Hepburn type of girl.. she dress chic and has good taste.

She's a complete chocoholic, so for Christmas I made her a chocolate themed gift. I've already seen in a supermarket, these high heel chocolate which I'm definately getting for her!

She loves cats and has two.. she's had 5 over the past 6 years. Oscar was knocked down by a car, Bonnie and Clyde (how cute?!) are now dead and now she has Chico and Toby.

I want to make this gift special, as at her birthday there is one or two girls that hate me, and will be trying to outdo me with an expensive gift.. but I don't have the luxury of having Daddy's credit card to spend on lavish gifts. I want it to be memorable.

I was going to root up pictures of us down through the years.. any idea how I can make these look elegant.. I won't have enough for a photo album unfortunately.
I'm going to get those elegant chocolates too.

Ideas, ladies?
Thanks!
x

So, she likes:
*Pearls
*Cats
*Monkeys
*High heels
*Elegant jewellery
*Elegant clothes
*She speaks fairly good spanish (she's going to barcelona in the summer)

Oh last year for her 17th birthday, I made her "Holly Golightly in a box". http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=82991.10

Some inspiration:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=109905.0
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=104711.0
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007 04:05:05 AM by Irish_Belle » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Irish_Belle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007 08:18:14 AM »

I think I'm going to make a drawing of her and frame it, and make a mix tape to, with songs related to her! Smiley

So far I have:
Sarah - Thin Lizzy = because thats her name
Little April Shower - Disney's Bambi = because her birthday's in April
Moon River - Audrey Hepburn = no need to explain that one!

Any other ideas? Does anyone have 'A Whole New World' from Disney's Aladdin? That's her favourite Disney movie.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RosemaryAnn
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007 03:17:41 PM »

I have an Idea! It could be a tad expensive, but you have plenty of time to work around it.
You could get her a compact mirror at one of those engraving stores, and get her initials engraved in it. Soo chic.
Also, you could get a mirror, and paint Audrey on it leaving out her face, so that when you look in to it, your face is audreys! (you know, the classic hair do with the head band!) message me back if you like my idea! Oh, and paint on the mirror with nail polish. It turns out kind of sheer, and if you screw up you can use nail polish remover and a q-tip.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Irish_Belle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007 02:22:54 AM »

I have an Idea! It could be a tad expensive, but you have plenty of time to work around it.
You could get her a compact mirror at one of those engraving stores, and get her initials engraved in it. Soo chic.
Also, you could get a mirror, and paint Audrey on it leaving out her face, so that when you look in to it, your face is audreys! (you know, the classic hair do with the head band!) message me back if you like my idea! Oh, and paint on the mirror with nail polish. It turns out kind of sheer, and if you screw up you can use nail polish remover and a q-tip.

No engraving stores here I'm afraid! But I really like the ideq, I'm sure I can do it a simpler way Cheesy Thank you! Thats inspired Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

T_Rex
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007 12:24:43 PM »

Maybe you can pick up some white freshwater pearls, or really nice glass pearls, and make a hand-knotted necklace. Hand-knotting makes even very inexpensive beads seem much more expensive, and it isn't too hard to pick up.

Instead of engraving, perhaps try your hand at embroidery and monogramming.  Maybe you can embroider her initials on a scarf of a beret, or another piece of clothing she regularly wears.  (I'm weird and wear far too many berets, and don't think this is a common trend!  But they do look very 1950's when embroidered...)

Whenever I think Audrey Hepburn, I imagine those looong black gloves and the loong cigarette holder.  Maybe, as a joke, you can improvise either of those.

Also, I have to recommend buying/renting a copy of "Two for the Road."  It's one of Audrey's last films, and she's past middle age by this one, but it's romantic and lovely, and her costumes--sigh--are to die for! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Irish_Belle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007 01:45:27 PM »

Maybe you can pick up some white freshwater pearls, or really nice glass pearls, and make a hand-knotted necklace. Hand-knotting makes even very inexpensive beads seem much more expensive, and it isn't too hard to pick up.

Instead of engraving, perhaps try your hand at embroidery and monogramming.  Maybe you can embroider her initials on a scarf of a beret, or another piece of clothing she regularly wears.  (I'm weird and wear far too many berets, and don't think this is a common trend!  But they do look very 1950's when embroidered...)

Whenever I think Audrey Hepburn, I imagine those looong black gloves and the loong cigarette holder.  Maybe, as a joke, you can improvise either of those.

Also, I have to recommend buying/renting a copy of "Two for the Road."  It's one of Audrey's last films, and she's past middle age by this one, but it's romantic and lovely, and her costumes--sigh--are to die for! 

Hand knotted? I have no idea how to do that! Plus we have no bead shops around here Sad
I like the idea of embroidery, unfortunately she hates hats.. I'm partial to a beret or two myself dear, haha! And the long gloves.. I like that! It'd be quirky. I love them myself and am considering wear them for my Debs (Prom to you guys in the States!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BedBugs
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007 11:16:25 AM »

Hmm.. You mentioned that you wanted some photos of the two of you, but you weren't sure how to make them classy. Here's an idea, if you like it. You could always make them into black and white photos, or just pick a really pretty one and make it in black and white, and then put it into a classy frame. That could be really cool! Or, instead of using a frame, you could create a scrapbook or photobook with those black and white photos, and then add cute sayings or memories around them. You could even put in some Audrey Hepburn quotes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
slackferno
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2007 09:55:31 AM »

Do you have....er...we have dollar stores here, where everything in the shop is under a dollar.  Do you have an equivalent?  My thought was that you could cover some cheapie frames with black velveteen, and glue on some fake pearls and put your photos in them.  Then package them in a box decoupaged with fashion magazine photos (a reference to Funny Face).

I've been involved in "competitive gifting" too, but fortunately, it was with people I like!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Irish_Belle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2007 12:40:27 PM »

Do you have....er...we have dollar stores here, where everything in the shop is under a dollar.  Do you have an equivalent?  My thought was that you could cover some cheapie frames with black velveteen, and glue on some fake pearls and put your photos in them.  Then package them in a box decoupaged with fashion magazine photos (a reference to Funny Face).

I've been involved in "competitive gifting" too, but fortunately, it was with people I like!

Haha, I like that term Smiley We have 2 (euro) stores, I think they're a plague, but you can pick up stuff in them on a very rare occasion!
Hmm, I really like that idea, but the only fabric shop we had closed down last summer, can you believe it?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LuNaGirl
FATED...or faded?

rock your soul

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2007 01:05:04 PM »

i bet you ahve a lot of good ideas by now, but maybe this will give you another one? well since shes going to spain, why not make like a travel kit with cute things you cna decorate with pearls and other stuff like a compact, toothbrush, hair things,etc. and the theme could be like in my fair lady where audrey sings that song, "The Rain in Spain" (im not sure of the name).

good luck with the gift!
im sure shell love it no matter what.
Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

there\'s no place like craftster...<br /><br />FIND YOUR STAGE
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Classic BLT Recipe
Healthy Pancakes Recipe With Judy Joo
Spicy Meatloaf Po’Boys With Smoked Provolone
Honey-Basil Grilled Cheese Recipe
Kentucky Derby Hot Brown Pizza Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...