A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,734
Currently Running With Scissors:
649 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: what should i do with my sliding mirror closet doors?  (Read 1490 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

boygirlparty
« on: February 13, 2007 03:02:24 PM »

i have sliding mirror closet doors in my studio that once in awhile come in handy, and sure, they make the room (or my mess) look bigger, but i think it would be just great to do something temporary to make it add to the creative vibe of my studio!

it'd be cool to make it a huge chalkboard, only i'd be nervous about chalk residue getting on everything, so that's a no go.

dry erase or cork, where i could make an idea board onto it would be ok - but how to do that in a nonpermanent way?

any ideas, please help me out! the doors are about seven feet high and three feet wide - there are two of them and they slide side-to-side on tracks.

help me, craftster, you're my only hope!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.boygirlparty.com: illustrations and fun stuff by susie ghahremani
http://shop.boygirlparty.com: the shop at boygirlparty.com
boygirlparty
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007 11:26:25 PM »

seriously. ugly mirrors. sliding. what can i do?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.boygirlparty.com: illustrations and fun stuff by susie ghahremani
http://shop.boygirlparty.com: the shop at boygirlparty.com
ImaHoundDog
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007 08:16:44 AM »

You could put clear frosted mac-tac (contact paper) over the mirrors and cut shapes out of it witha exacto knife to reveal little mirror bits. I've done this to windows and cut out little stars all over it for privacy and it looks really pretty. It's easy to remove. It's not functional as say a chalkboard  but it would get around the "aaahhh leveryone look at my giant ugly mirror" thing. Oooh, I just had a nother idea... not sure if you could get it off but could somehow attach cork board to the mirror, rubber cement would probably hold a thin board and could probably be scraped off with a razor blade. I'm pretty sure you can get rolls of cork at craft or office supply stores. Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jjm
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007 12:23:18 PM »

Or how about using white contact paper to create the wood vanes like you would see in french doors.  Do an outdoor scene on some white paper (rasterbate) and attach those with the contact paper within each panel.

jjm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MotorCityPinup

Daughter of the Reagan Revolution

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007 08:16:40 PM »

I've seen that frosted stuff put on them.  i also saw something on HGTV where (I think it was Design on a Dime, actually) couldn't afford to get NEW doors, so they took 3 large square stencils, taped them on the doors, and sprayed a mirror-frost onto the mirror so that when they pulled the stencils away, there were three frosted squares 'framed' by mirror.  That's a more permanent solution, but you could cut the tack paper into large squares and do it that way...

You could always spray that fake snow onto them. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pretty/Modest: Serving up yummy indie fashion: modest can indeed be chic and lovely.

Liberty Images
synthecide
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007 09:49:38 PM »

i'd suggest using contact/sticky paper or even stencils with glass glue to make vines or some floral motifed border around the glass doors
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PimpernelSmith
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm sooo over due to get over an ocean...*waves at far away places*

Jack of all Crafts -- Master of None

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007 06:13:32 PM »

Glass glue?  (I need to make some windows private without blocking light...)

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.Dave Barry
lwray
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007 04:59:00 PM »

This probably isn't what you're thinking of, but you can write directly on mirrors with dry erase markers.  They make great impromptu idea boards! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
prettymachines
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007 06:12:40 PM »

Dry erase markers work great on any laminated paper.... kinkos can laminate pretty much anything you bring them (we've done huge city maps at my workplace), and its so thin you should be able to hang it up with just about any adhesive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
popartlover09
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007 06:22:10 PM »

ive done expo markers on mirrors b4, it comes off alright, takes a lil windex but its fine, also washable glass/window paint works really well
THIS ROCKS   Logged

why yes i do believe i am a craftaholic
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sarah Lewis on Turning Setbacks Into Great Advantage
Find Lasting Happiness: Be Nobody
Jason Reynolds: What Are You Reading?
Lynn Cullen: What Are You Reading?
Chef Heather Bertinetti on Baking Desserts
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...