A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 304,878
Currently Running With Scissors:
658 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 97
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: $5 in Paris KAL (pattern included)--The Beginner's Top-Down Raglan  (Read 200963 times)
Tags for this thread: top_down_raglan , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jewells68
« Reply #870 on: July 15, 2008 06:48:49 AM »

Okay, Muria, sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. I was working really long hours to be prepared for being off work for a week. So far my "vacation" hasn't left me much free time either.  Embarrassed

Anyway, I'm not sure exactly what measurements you need, but laid flat (unstretched) the body is 20" across which means that it's really closer to 41-42" all the way around. I measured the ribbing unstretched as well, and it was exactly the same. So had I not made the boatneck version I probably wouldn't have trouble keeing the sweater on, but due to the stretch it would still be VERY loose and not fit all that well. Now that is, of course unstretched. Due to the nature of the pattern, ribbing, and yarn (which has A LOT of stretch), it stretched for an additional 10" (which means 20+ inches all around!!!!). So no wonder it fit so loose.
So while some of this can doubtlessly be accounted for by the choice of yarn (caron simply soft being, well, forgive me, but simply so soft) I still should have made the M instead of the L.

It might be helpful if folks who made the sweater in other yarns (cotton, wool, etc) could also give us a breakdown of measurements of their finished sweaters to give us an idea of the difference in stretch from yarn to yarn. Also, I feel the Caron looks nicer knit on 8s rather than 9s, so that would make a difference as well, but I think even going down a size in needles would not have made enough of a difference in making this fit. So my next one will be a M I think, at least for the cast on, then I may have to do extra arm increases to get it to fit the rest of the way...

Still totally love the pattern and the yarn, just need to tweak it to fit me better... And I like the idea of woolease, I have a ton of that, and Hancock often puts it on sale for less than $2/ball...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pickledtreats
« Reply #871 on: July 19, 2008 05:54:18 PM »

Hi everyone!

So, I casted on for the boatneck and this is my very first sweater and one of the first knitting projects I've ever done - - so I have questions!

First, I noticed that the boatneck in some of the photos is ribbed, but the pattern just says to knit around. I'm getting garter stitch. I'm doing the increases and everything, but....am I doing this wrong?

I'm on row three when you start the increases, but I'd like to frog now rather than later. Thanks for your help...I'm excited about this project!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
pickledtreats
« Reply #872 on: July 19, 2008 06:16:02 PM »

Okay...so I think I realized that we were supposed to create the collar in whatever pattern we choose...or in whatever rib pattern we like, but it just said knit around. Am I right in that assumption?

When it says "knit" it just means go around in 2x2 rib, or whatever?

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
speedy_mouse
« Reply #873 on: July 19, 2008 07:59:54 PM »

Hey everybody!
Well, technically I wasn't supposed to do any more knitting until I finished my summer reading essay for school. But a write better under pressure anyways! I'm making mine out of lion brand fisherman's wool (a lovely cream color) with vanna's choice acrylic stripes around the yoke in dusty green. This will be my first complete sweater - my previous attempt was too boring and the arms never got finished. My mom picked out the yarn and it was a very insipid blue and itchy to boot. I chose these colors, so I'll stick with it. I love knitting with real wool! I'm almost finished with the neckline. If anybody wants to help me with the pattern, I'm doing size small of the 5 bucks in paris boatneck. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stitch and stones
« Reply #874 on: July 19, 2008 08:14:04 PM »

pickledtreats- Yes, you can do whatever pattern you wish for the neckline. If you just knit all the way around, it will curl down, or you can do ribbing like most of us.

speedy_mouse- Welcome aboard!

Once I finish this Audrey Hepburn swap I am in, I am determined to start this up... again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swap hungry- send me a yummy PM.

http://www.pinterest.com/amberburrr/

although imperfect, love is real, and it is balled up next to you smiling and rubbing sleep from its eyes. -the raintree
soozeq
« Reply #875 on: July 19, 2008 09:06:24 PM »

When it says "knit" it just means go around in 2x2 rib, or whatever?

Yes, knit can also be a verb and refer to the act of knitting, not just making the knit stitch. Do whatever you wish for the neckline.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
soozeq
« Reply #876 on: July 19, 2008 09:07:51 PM »

I'm making mine out of lion brand fisherman's wool (a lovely cream color) with vanna's choice acrylic stripes around the yoke in dusty green.

You realize that by mixing wool and acrylic yarns this will have to be hand washed. I don't know that it's going to be a good combination.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
pickledtreats
« Reply #877 on: July 20, 2008 05:44:04 AM »

Thanks, everyone!

I started the boatneck style, but had to frog it because it was too big for my narrow shoulders. I'm just going to attempt the regular neckline. Since this is my first sweater, I just need to go slow and see how things fit. I have a bunch of Vanna's Choice acrylic for this one in a light purple.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stitch and stones
« Reply #878 on: July 20, 2008 12:08:21 PM »

I'm making mine out of lion brand fisherman's wool (a lovely cream color) with vanna's choice acrylic stripes around the yoke in dusty green.

You realize that by mixing wool and acrylic yarns this will have to be hand washed. I don't know that it's going to be a good combination.

I was too tired to really look at this before, but if you're not too far into it speedy_mouse, I wouldn't really do this combination, like soozeq said. Fishermen's wool is typically used for felting and might do so even if you hand wash it a few times. Plus, I was never really one for the actual feel of it- too itchy. I would try another acrylic to go with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swap hungry- send me a yummy PM.

http://www.pinterest.com/amberburrr/

although imperfect, love is real, and it is balled up next to you smiling and rubbing sleep from its eyes. -the raintree
speedy_mouse
« Reply #879 on: July 20, 2008 06:17:30 PM »

ohhh... Embarrassed I didn't realize that. My mom has a bunch of wool sweaters that she handwashes and they're only felted because she's had them for 20+ years, she said they were fine until about 5 years ago. I don't mind handwashing things, and the fisherman's wool could actually do with a bit of felting- it seems too thin for the size 8 needles! Thanks for the advice though soozeq, if I make a mess of it I'll not try mixing things again.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 97 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
DIY Cracked Lip Treatment
Get Fit in 2014 - The Best Gear to Kickstart Your Routine
How to Pull Off the Perfect New Year’s Eve Makeup Look
How to Wear Makeup on New Year’s Eve
Urban Decay Naked Palette Eye Makeup Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...