A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,551
Currently Running With Scissors:
674 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 97
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: $5 in Paris KAL (pattern included)--The Beginner's Top-Down Raglan  (Read 197914 times)
Tags for this thread: top_down_raglan , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jewells68
« Reply #820 on: June 11, 2008 07:43:33 PM »

Ok, so no one else is posting on this thread anymore, I apparently have a great skill for driving away everyone on every thread I join.   Wink

Anyway I thought I'd post a pic of how far I'd gotten after less than 3 full weeks of knitting...

I made the L, and decided to go with a single color, because horizontal stripes are NOT my friends. I am thinking this will fit pretty loosely, and because it's acrylic won't shrink. I'll know better when it's completely off the needles, but I'm thinking I did too many armhole increases, the armholes are quite huge! Better too big than too small, right? I mean I can always take it in if I have to...
I've only done one other sweater, the Pretty in Pink Tank Knitalong here on Craftster, so this is my first top-down, and I really liked the process so far.

I need advice though, I'm thinking of going ahead and starting the ribbing now even though I'm nowhere near the bottom yet, because it will make it pull in more and look more fitted.
What do you think? Bad Idea? Good idea? Not sure I'm ready to tackle waist-shaping yet...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #821 on: June 12, 2008 09:27:51 AM »

I'm thinking of going ahead and starting the ribbing now even though I'm nowhere near the bottom yet, because it will make it pull in more and look more fitted.

I think---  Good idea!  Even if you're not sure you're ready to tackle waist-shaping yet... ribbing IS waist-shaping Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
Silver Ilix
Up Late

Make your own way........

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #822 on: June 13, 2008 06:03:07 PM »

I totally think that is a great idea can't wait to see it. The armhole thing... well you will probalby be doing some skaping ther anyway, so hey why the heck not!?! I also think that bigger is better than too tight! Great colour..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my knitting blog: www.uplatedesigns.blogspot.com

I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I had set him free. *Michanlengelo
rachillsk8
« Reply #823 on: June 13, 2008 06:14:22 PM »

I love top down raglans!  They're so easy, minimal seaming, and endless possibilities!

Here is one I just finished for my nephew (he's due in late August, the baby shower is next week).  I used Lion Brand Cotton Ease (which they seem to have re-done)...normally I'm a yarn snob but since he's it'll get spit up on, needs to be easily washable, and he'll grow out of it fast...I was impressed at how soft and nice this yarn felt.  It knit up very quickly, took less than one skein of each color with more than enough to make a matching hat (although the hat will probably fit him right when he's born, and he'll grow into the sweater for winter/spring.  There are two buttonholes at the neck, I need to add buttons.

I also started a top down raglan for myself.  It's Rowan Cashcotton DK in "Pool", I LOOOVE the yarn.   It's a boat neck, simple eyelet pattern, I'm going to shape it nicely, 3/4 length sleeves, and probably add a hoodie-style pocket.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

stitch and stones
« Reply #824 on: June 13, 2008 06:20:35 PM »

Oh I really like that eyelet pattern. So girly, which we all need sometimes. AND BABY KNITS! I'm such a sucker for baby knits, but I'm too young to have any friends who are having one. Makes me jealous when everyone else gets to make baby things and I don't Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swap hungry- send me a yummy PM.

http://www.pinterest.com/amberburrr/

although imperfect, love is real, and it is balled up next to you smiling and rubbing sleep from its eyes. -the raintree
rachillsk8
« Reply #825 on: June 13, 2008 09:12:54 PM »

Oh I really like that eyelet pattern. So girly, which we all need sometimes. AND BABY KNITS! I'm such a sucker for baby knits, but I'm too young to have any friends who are having one. Makes me jealous when everyone else gets to make baby things and I don't Smiley

Those are the first two baby knits I've ever made.  I have plenty of bits o' stash, mainly a few leftover skeins here and there that are just enough for a baby garment, reserved for when I or a fellow knitter has a baby (and as far as I'm concerned...not until I'm at least 34, so I've got another 7 yrs to go...ha ha).  However, I don't trust my brother and his fiancee to properly wash and care for soy/wool/silk blends, cotton/angora/9% cashmere, etc.  So...little Ian will have to settle for Lion Brand. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jewells68
« Reply #826 on: June 14, 2008 06:42:11 AM »

I love the color too, it's one of my favorites (as is the purple on the tshirt underneath). I went ahead and started the ribbing, but before I could do so, I switched back to the smaller needle that I used for the neck ribbing and knit a round , making sure to K2tg once in each underarm section, otherwise the ribbing would not have come out right due to two too many stitches. Maybe that slight decrease will also help a tiny bit with the shaping as well.

I like to knit baby things as well, so whenever someone at work has a baby (or grandbaby) and I find out about it I usually knit something up quick like a cotton bib or baby hat and socks. But it's a great user-upper of leftover yarns.

If you don't have any babies to knit for stitchandstones, and want to knit baby things, you could always knit for charity...definitely a good use for leftover yarn.

I'm temporarily de-railed from the sweater making a quick-knit throw for a Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation charity auction (my boss is the local group's chair).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stitch and stones
« Reply #827 on: June 14, 2008 12:14:02 PM »

jewells68- Totally would knit for charity if I could find the time. Being a full time student working will kill you. All of my spare time goes to crafting for swaps. I know, I'm terrible.

But seeing as this semester I'm going to be on campus for like 12+ hours every day, I'm sure downtime will happen at some point. I'll just have to take up making premie caps again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swap hungry- send me a yummy PM.

http://www.pinterest.com/amberburrr/

although imperfect, love is real, and it is balled up next to you smiling and rubbing sleep from its eyes. -the raintree
jewells68
« Reply #828 on: June 14, 2008 01:32:55 PM »

Totally understand where you're coming from, I used to work three part time jobs that added up to essenially working full time while going to school full-time (no one could give me enough hours in one job), but that was a long time ago. However, now I work full-time and am a wife and mom, so I don't really have much more down-time than when I was in school, some days/weeks if I didn't have at least one knitting project with me at all times I would never get any knitting done!

I want to crank this blanket out quickly, though so I can finish my sweater. I may have to alternate because both are repetitive and can get boring. Time to "force myself" to tay up a little later and watch a movie I think.

After this sweater I think it's time to switch back to socks for a while during summer. It's too hot to be working on large projects! Or some other small gift knitting for the holidays, and get it done early for a change...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
juliesnider

So excited to be a month old!

View Profile
« Reply #829 on: June 15, 2008 10:28:02 AM »

rachillsk8 - I LOVE the sweater for your nephew!  I would love a basic pattern for my girl.  Do you remember how many you cast on and how you divided for front/arms/back?  How did you know how far to increase?  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When I'm old I don't want them to say of me, 'She's so charming.'  I want them to say, 'Be careful, I think she's armed.'" - G. Stoddart
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 97 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Take Years Off of Your Face With These Secret Skincare Tips
Why Baby Care Products Are Good for Your Skin
Carrie Underwood’s Beauty Secret
Target Adds Luxury Skincare Products
DIY Face Peel at Home
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...