A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,195
Currently Running With Scissors:
597 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Undomesticated Goddess Swap (send outs 03/19)  (Read 8557 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

tip-toeing though the pixels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2007 06:38:44 PM »

I'm no longer a 'housewife', I just gots me a job, am I still ok to swap?
oh no! (congrats!)

My feeling is this, every human being responsible for themselves, and maybe even a spouse or child or (gasp) both, is a housewife because someone has to pull the clogged, soapy hair out of the drain trap, someone has to scrub the toliet, someone has to discover, appreciate, and then trash the moldy ecosystems in the back of the fridge.  Which is what the housewife does.  The only people who don't do those things are people with housewives.  Whether or not you spend time in your day being appreciated by a wage because when you get home, guess what, you're a housewife.  That's the tragedy of it all.

Just don't go getting good at it, is all!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2007 06:44:26 PM »

I'm no longer a 'housewife', I just gots me a job, am I still ok to swap?
oh no! (congrats!)

My feeling is this, every human being responsible for themselves, and maybe even a spouse or child or (gasp) both, is a housewife because someone has to pull the clogged, soapy hair out of the drain trap, someone has to scrub the toliet, someone has to discover, appreciate, and then trash the moldy ecosystems in the back of the fridge.  Which is what the housewife does.  The only people who don't do those things are people with housewives.  Whether or not you spend time in your day being appreciated by a wage because when you get home, guess what, you're a housewife.  That's the tragedy of it all.

Just don't go getting good at it, is all!

Whew! Thanks Vegbee! I didn't even consider the fact that I wasn't a "housewife"- it never even crossed my mind to consider it a requirement. I'm just a super duper extra crappy housekeeper! Thank goodness that's enough- I am so looking forward to this swap!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
kitschkween
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2007 08:41:35 AM »

i agree with vegbee. i've been a sahm, ft worker, and pt worker. our jobS as women are never done! even if you are not a mother, there's still the biggest baby of them all we have to take care of. isn't it wierd how before we got the ring, THEY were taking care of US? I blame my undomesticalities on my hubby spoiling me before we had children. Smiley
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007 09:00:19 AM by kitschkween » THIS ROCKS   Logged

vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2007 08:49:51 AM »

I believe that my partner actually sabatoges me: last week he surprised me with a serger.  I haven't swept a floor since.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bbonnn
I'm holding in my hand a box of small chocolate bunnies.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2007 03:19:20 PM »

A serger? Lucky you! That's really cool.

By the way, I'm joining this swap. Working on the PM as we speak.

In researching a list of anti-housework heroes, I came across an older essay by NYC Redstocking Pat Mainardi: "The Politics of Housework"

http://www.cwluherstory.com/CWLUArchive/polhousework.html

Very interesting reading.

A great many American men are not accustomed to doing monotonous, repetitive work which never issues in any lasting, let alone important, achievement. This is why they would rather repair a cabinet than wash dishes.

Add me (an American woman) to that list. The endlessness and perpetual undoing of housecleaning is what drives me crazy. I'm happy when the house is clean, but it never lasts. I might take issue with the statement about men never doing repetitive tasks (factories? pencil pushers? bean counters?), but I'm reminded that while some form of paid labor is mandatory for most households, housework is "optional" if we're talking bare survival, so it can more easily be dismissed and resisted. In our house, we both resist it mightily. Whoo boy.

... and ...

Bear in mind what the worst jobs are, namely the ones that have to be done every day or several times a day. Also the ones that are dirty-it's more pleasant to pick up books, newspapers, etc., than to wash dishes. Alternate the bad jobs. It's the daily grind that gets you down. Also make sure that you don' t have the responsibility for the housework with occasional help from him. "I'll cook dinner for you tonight" implies it's really your job and isn't he a nice guy to do some of it for you.

I actually like doing dishes and cleaning toilets. Water is fun. It's the de-cluttering and trying to pare down possessions that make me pull my hair out.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007 05:25:22 PM by bbonnn » THIS ROCKS   Logged
nat_attack
"We waste time looking for the perfect lover, instead of creating the perfect love." - T. Robbins

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2007 06:14:12 PM »

man i love this! i wish i could participate but i work two jobs and i dont want to let anyone down by being late Sad  i cnt wait to see what everyone comes up with!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I don't mean to seem like I care about material things, like a social status, I just want four walls and adobe slabs for my girls"
Animal Collective, "My Girls"
Kitten Wrangler
Somewhere, somehow, Connex is to blame

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2007 09:03:18 PM »

We're in drought at the moment, so I feel guilty using water just to wash things with.

Aaahh excuses. They're everywhere you look.

Having said that - rental inspection next monday. I'll be cleaning all weekend.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If I should die of smallpox
Put my remains in my snuff box
vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2007 09:55:28 PM »

rental inspection next monday. I'll be cleaning all weekend.

omg, I totally forgot about rental inspections!  We bought our house a few years ago now and since I've been living blissfully in my own filth with no one outside to judge me (or evict me).  Well, okay, there's the social stigma of having the largest unturned compost pit in the neighborhood and the fact that my MIL won't eat off our plates but at least no one's going to kick me out! 

I have suffered way too many 11th hour cleaning freak outs because the landlord was doing an inspection, or worse, the boss coming by when I lived in staff accommodations!  Can you imagine losing your home and your job all at the same moment when your employer/landlord remembers that the carpet was cream colour last time she came by, not grey.  Oh, and seeing that you stuffed all the dirty dishes in the shower and closed the curtain.  And your job is to clean stuff?!

Once again, I embarrass myself.

My mother used to put the unwashed dishes in the oven when company came over.  Until the day she forgot and preheated the oven full of tupperware  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

h_pets360
crankypants extrodinaire

« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2007 02:30:21 AM »

rental inspections  Huh  !!

i'm not a house-wife.  i'm the resident goddess of tools and occasional omelettes.  i'm sans kids, but cum (it's latin, i swear!) two kitties and one fiance who does the dishes.  badly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miyoko79: I think "be proud, young craftster blood" should be your new siggie

I've got a new blog!  Tell me how to make it better!

Support the <a href="http://www.craftster.org/subscribe.php">craftster way of life!</a>
Muria
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2007 07:00:59 AM »

When I first got married, my husband would hold the glasses up to the light to see if they were clean enough to use. After trying two or three, he'd rewash one. Grin 

I thwarted him on that, though.  I bought green glasses, and they're made with a design of leaves so there's really no way he can see dirt anyway.  Smiley   It's not so much that I want him to drink out of dirty glasses.  It's that I felt like a failure every time he would hold up the glasses, and one time he asked me if I was greasing my hands before I put them away because of fingerprints.  I didn't tell him I was running my hands through my hair  because it kept getting in my eyes when I bent over to get the glass out of the dishwasher.  I just bought cool green leaf glasses.  Grin

However, I do have the saving grace that I can cook. My grandmother had trouble with canned soup.  DH doesn't care for my mom's cooking (especially now that she doesn't cook as often), but he likes mine.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Behind and Inside Adobe Illustrator CS5
How to Use the Bristle Brush in Adobe Illustrator CS5
Creating the Tilt-Shift Lens Effect in Photoshop CS6
Working With Blur Filters in Photoshop CS6
Anarchy in the Organism Artwork at London Cancer Hospital
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...