A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 299,182
Currently Running With Scissors:
715 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HELP!! on advertising, promotion search engines, etc  (Read 875 times)
Tags for this thread: advertising  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PixieDust721
« on: February 12, 2007 07:34:45 AM »

So I have a craft website...

I submitted my site to I buy DIY and DIY revelution about a month ago.  But I buy DIY is apparently now offically on hiatus and my web administartors account thingy on DIY revelution still has the status of "pending review" for my site.  I e-mailed the web admin today.

I tried to submit my site to various search engines.  Some I couldn't figure out how, one search engine said that they no longer are excepting submissions, and some I was able to submit the site.  However my page does not pop up when i look search for it in any of them. 

I am not sure how to check stats or hits..i use go daddy for hosting...

What else can i do or what can i do better to get my site noticed on the internet?  (I am planning on putting my stuff on etsy, some consignment sites, and maybe find a craft fair where I can hand out business cards).  I don't want to be selling to people I know for ever!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

indescript
I'd rather craft than go to work.

Woo-za!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007 02:07:01 PM »

First thing's first - most search engines use a "robot" to pick up website urls. Fastest and freest way to, for example, get on google without ever doing a thing is get your url out there on forums, websites (guestbooks), through link-exchanges and using really, really good meta tags in your html/php document (so google will show your page when those words or that phrase are searched.

Advertising and getting the word around is one of the most essential and hardest things to do, so don't give up, don't quit your day job by any means, and be very, very patient. Patience pays off - literally.

If you have online friends with blogs - let them do a feature about you and have them offer people a discount if the customer puts them down as a referer.

Advertise in your local paper, sponsor a charity organization in exchange for free advertising (like 10% of all sales, etc.).

Be creative with your advertising hows and whats!

Hope I could help. I saw that this had fallen to the bottom of the page on the forums and thought it might be helpful to someone else and to give it a bump Wink

Have a great weekend!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my blog at http://umikoart.blogspot.com and my Etsy shop at http://umiko.etsy.com Smiley
PixieDust721
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007 04:17:22 PM »

Thanks!  that does help...i've been a bit confused about meta tags and such...this is my first site, so i've got a lot to learn ;o)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

omyluckystars03
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007 03:04:58 PM »

I use Google Analytics for my stats. Its free, and you can track as many websites as you wish!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.kilobytecouture.com
Nerdy Jewelry and Accessories
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007 06:24:39 AM »

Look at your writing (content) as well. For example, only "accessories" shows up on the home page. You need be more specific to include purse, handbag, necklace, bracelet, earring, as well as more general terms like jewelry. Also words like gifts, handmade, original, one of a kind, etc. can enhance the whole content experience. State this is what you are and this is what you sell very specifically.

Be more specific in your product descriptions. Use "handbag, bag, or purse" in your descriptions as well as calling it "hobo" or whatever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alyzen
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007 08:28:33 PM »

Other craft directories you could try submitting your website to are
http://www.indiefriendly.com/
http://craftpop.com/ (although I think their new link submissions are temporarily closed.)
http://www.freewebs.com/imshi/

Also you said something about selling on Etsy, if you get an account link your website to your esty store and vice versa, that should help get you known.
I hope I could help, and good luck on your business
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Post apocalyptic, steampunk, tribal fusion clothing and accessories.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/apocalipsca
PixieDust721
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007 02:31:03 PM »

Thanks a lot!  That does help and I will definatly be taking all of your advice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get a Perfect Bun in 5 Minutes Flat
How to Get Perfectly Smooth Tresses
Create a Perfectly Polished Pony
How to Do a 4-Strand Side Braid
Summer Hairstyle Tips for Short and Mid-Length Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...