A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 304,864
Currently Running With Scissors:
639 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial - Diaper Bag with Accordion Pockets  (Read 7807 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

judcaes
« on: February 12, 2007 01:51:05 AM »

Thanks again for your nice comments. As this is my first tutorial, please excuse me if something is not really clear. I'll try to do my best.  Roll Eyes

(There might be simpler/different ways to do that kind of bag. If you know any other ways, or have some other remarks, just leave a comment at the end of this entry.)

First think of all the pieces you need:

1 Top piece: 20x36 cm (7.9x14.2 in)
1 Bottom piece: 34x11 cm (13.4x4.3 in)
2 Sides: 21x11cm (8.3x4.3 in)
2 Front/Back: 34(bottom)x40(top)x21(sides)cm - (13.4x15.7x8.3 in) you can see the shape of it on the picture
4 small Flaps: 9x8 cm rectangle (3.5x3.1 in) - cut off corners to the shape you want
4 big Flaps: 13.3x8 cm (5.2x3.1 in) (same as with small flaps)
2 small regular Pockets: 9x15 cm (3.5x5.9 in)
2 big regular Pockets: 13.3x15 cm (5.2x5.9 in)
2 small accordion Pockets: have a look at the information (link) below.
2 big accordion Pockets: same have a look at link below.
1 Zipper: 34 cm (13.4 in)
2 Straps: 100x4cm (39.4x1.6 in) (seam allowance 0.5cm (0.2 in) each side, so you end up with 3cm (1.2 in) finished width)
Velcro for the pockets to close

All my original measurements were in cm - so if you need to do it in inches, just round up to the next round number.

the top piece is missing from the picture because I originally planned the bag differently. Also, you can see the accordion pockets cut out from the lining material - you don't line them, just sew on a facing piece as described in the link. At least you can imagine how the cut out accordion pocket looks like.

-----all these from Fabric and Lining except that the accordion pockets don't need lining but just a facing piece the same length the pocket is. More on accordion pockets: Look up here:
http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/cda/article_print/1,1983,DIY_14144_2277019_ARTICLE-DETAIL-PRINT,00.html

1. I made for almost all of these templates from carton (so next time I plan to do this bag I have it already ready). Then don't forget to add seam allowance. I took 1.5cm (0.6 in) for mine. Then cut them all out.

2. Sew all the flaps together. Take the inside part of the flap (lining) and sew onto the right side the male Velcro patch. Then Fabric and Lining - right side to right side - leave the top side open for turning - turn and sew the last side.

3. Sew the inside pockets. I lined each of the inside pockets. (Fabric/Lining - So there is a contrast between the lining of the bag and the pockets.) Sew as point 2: put together right sides, sew 3 sides, turn inside out and sew last side. Don't forget to sew onto the right spot (measure according the flap Velcro) the female Velcro patch. This picture shows a double pocket. (Just a little gimmick.)

4. Take the lining front/back piece decide where exactly you want the big pockets you just sewed in 3 and pin/sew. Attach the flap: lay it so that lining of bag and outside of flap are together and sew. (I mean don't sew the flap in closed position on the pocket, this way looks much nicer and you don't see any stitches when the flap is down.)

5. Repeat for smaller side pieces.

6. Now put the lining bag together: Start with the bottom piece and attach the front, back and both sides. Take care to sew exactly on the lines to keep it accurate. Then sew sides to front/back until you end up with a nice inside bag.

7. Now comes the most tricky part - to sew the accordion pockets. First prepare the facing: Turn top/bottom of it 0.5cm and sew. Attach the strip right side to right side of pocket. (Left side is up.) Bend it over to left side and pin down and sew. Now you have this nice rim. Pin together the corners of the pocket. The left side (writing and drawing) is outside and sew on the line the corner. Repeat for the other side. Bend and sew all 6 vertical lines almost up to the corner. This also on the left side. Turn inside out

8. Sew the finished accordion pockets onto the fabric. I started with the bottom line and sewed almost up to the corner. You need to leave it a little bit open so you can tuck the sides nicely in. Sew the sides. Repeat with all other 3 accordion pockets. Wow! Now the hardest part is over.

9. Sew the fabric pieces together as in step 6.

10. For the top part, pin and sew right sides together, again along 3 sides, leave one open for turning and sew after turning the remaining one. Draw the zipper exactly how you want it onto the top part (fabric). Sew along the outside line so you have a rectangle. Cut open the inside like an arrow. Put the zipper inside between lining and fabric, turn fabric a few mm in and sew in place. ( I know it all reads easier than it is done!)

just the picture of the zipper (in the finished bag)

11. Do the straps: Sew together right sides on 3 sides, turn inside out and sew last side. Then left and right of the strap (about 0.5cm) sew down, so the straps look nicer and hold better their shape. I did mine pretty long - about 100cm. You just have to find out how you want them to be.

12. Put the inside/outside bag and straps together: Take the fabric (outside of bag): Right side inside, left side outside. Into this one you put the lining: right side outside and left side inside. Put the handles accordingly inside so that only a few cm stick out. The handles have to correspond properly. Sew along the line but leave quite a space open for turning. Turn inside out and sew the last part like this.

13. Last part to sew the top into place. I started first with the sides, then did all 4 corners and at the end the front and back.

14. Finished!

« Last Edit: February 12, 2007 01:54:21 AM by judcaes » THIS ROCKS   Logged
janetsjunk
Crafty & Artistic Momma

Everything happens for a reason.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007 03:20:31 AM »

Thank you for the tute...excellent pics and descriptions.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MnkyMama
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007 01:20:14 PM »

thank you very much for the tute.........I am going to be trying this soon.....I just need to find some fabric I love..........I'll post a pic when I get it done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
heyleslee

I can spell miscellaneous

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007 06:01:44 PM »

Excellent!  This is going to be very useful.  Thanks for all your hard work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
runnermom100863

Sew like there's no tomorrow.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007 06:07:47 PM »

Yes, yes, thanks so much for this!  I've not been brave enough to try accordian pockets, but this has definitely given me courage!  Thank you for your detailed tut!!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I miss my doggy~Apollo~He'll forever be in my heart

my etsy shop ~ www.lillaka.etsy.com
sewnikki
Nikki

Hi, my name is Nikki and I am a fabric addict.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007 06:08:05 PM »

thank you thank you thank you! that is a very well laid out tute. i printed it out for later use. can't wait to give it a try!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Long live Craftster and the crafty-craftiness of its crafters!!!
Etsy
(destash sale! hook and eye tape, grommet tape and other goodies)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Great Homecoming Hair Styles For Cheap
How to Add Vintage Glamour to Long Hair
Beauty Field Test: Fake Bangs for the Noncommittal
Black Women and Their Hair
Try This Different Take on the Braid
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...