A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,475
Currently Running With Scissors:
587 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kimono style shirt....men's dress shirt no more! (EDIT: Now with tutorial!)  (Read 13590 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

crazyjayblue

living for summer

View Profile
« on: February 11, 2007 10:48:58 PM »

So...I got a bag of clothes while visiting a friend last weekend. Among the pile of boy clothes was this black and white paisely dress shirt. It screamed kimono at me...I don't know why...it just did.
So, armed with a little extra black fabric, and a well fitting shirt for a rough pattern, I set to work. I pretty well just made it up as I went along, but it came out fairly close to what I envisioned, so I'm happy! Nothing better than making new clothes instead of doing laundry...haha.  Cheesy
On to the pictures!...

The shirt before

And after!

And on me...

From the side...

And a detail of the fabric

Thanks for looking!  Smiley

Smiley   Smiley   Smiley   Smiley   Smiley   Smiley
NEW!....Tutorial....
So, I decided to try my hand at drawing my first tutorial. Hopefully it makes sense, and I didn't forget any important steps! Any questions...please feel free to ask.  Smiley 

1. Remove the sleeves of the shirt at their seam...and save for later.
2. Remove the button strips on both sides of the shirt (lay shirt out with remaining sides touching).
3. Remove the front of the collar, leaving the back intact.
4. Using a shirt that fits you well, mark out your cut lines making sure to leave seam allowance. Cut off excess, but do not sew sides back together just yet.

5. Measure an even v-neck shape and cut away, making sure to leave the back collar ridge.
6. Using extra material in a complimenting colour, make a wide binding tape. Pin around the collar and down either sides of the front opening in one continuous strip. A small dart will be necessary where the tape bends into the v-neck. Sew in place. Now sew the front of the shirt together (right sides together).
7. Measure a wide strip of fabric for the front of the "belt". Iron the edges over, as if for a hem, and sew the panel directly onto the shirt. (Slip the shirt over your head and mark where you want the "belt" panel to start). Now sew up the sides of the shirt, and hem the bottom.
8. Measure around your waist and add to that enough length to make your tie. Cut two long strips of your extra fabric the same width of your front panel (have them narrow toward the ends). Sew them right sides together and turn inside out; finish the open end to make a belt. Centre the belt on the back of the shirt and pin in place. Sew onto the shirt, just until the side seams of the shirt.

(If you wanted your shirt to tie in the back, reverse steps 7 and 8 from front to back)

9. Now, grab your original sleeves, and turn them upside down so the cuffs are at your sleeve openings and the wide shoulder part is now your new cuff.
10. Trace out the shape of your sleeve opening onto your sleeves and cut away the excess.
11. Cut the sleeves straight across the bottom and add a strip of your wide binding tape to finish the hem.
12. Attach your sleeves.

13. Put on your shirt, tie it up, and voila!  Cheesy

Hopefully that was helpful. If there is anything confusing, please let me know and I'll try my best to clarify.  Thank you for all the great comments!  Smiley

« Last Edit: February 13, 2007 04:13:48 PM by crazyjayblue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
skankin kiwi
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007 11:16:08 PM »

That looks great!  I would have never guessed the kimono started out as that shirt!  Quite the transformation!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stirrin' my brandy with a nail...
Winnie
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007 11:27:27 PM »

That looks great!  I would have never guessed the kimono started out as that shirt!  Quite the transformation!

agree! that's really pretty ^^
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stick

"I'm Only Good At Being Young"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007 03:27:46 AM »

You are so smart to think of the reconstruction!  It looks really great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stick Officially Has Wists!
http://www.wists.com/appstatestick/all
Shazrasha

A very crafty Doctor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007 04:05:32 AM »

Wow that's a great use for an unwanted shirt and it's true the fabric does scream Kimono.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yes I do Personal swaps though you might have to ask me really nicely as I don't have huge swathes of time on my hands Smiley However I love crafting for other people.
roxybadoxy

Glcklich mich

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007 06:24:37 AM »

that looks amazing. i can't believe that came from that shirt. you did a really great job! it is very flattering on you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

please help some animals by clicking here!
OH! and there are other tabs so you can do more helpful things. YAY!!
McJulie-O
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007 06:41:09 AM »

Nice job!
Brilliant, even!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
motleykitten

Fuck nosejobs. Jewish Noses are HOT!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007 06:45:49 AM »

Wow!  Shocked Great job! I think that you had the right idea making it into a kimono- the print looks so Japanese! I would have never thought of it...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Up yours, young people. You and your rock and roll 8-track tapes!
fluffybaka

The Lil Hippies are taking over!

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007 07:35:18 AM »

Very cute!  I love kimono-style clothing.

However, if you happen to be around an actual Japanese person, they'll freak on you.  Kimono tied in the front signify death.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.CraftyHippy.etsy.com
Eco-friendly items, patterns, hippies, and more.

I'm on Ravelry, too!
http://www.ravelry.com/designers/stephanie-horn
Kiki870
Stash Goddess

Crafting since birth,...!

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007 07:37:15 AM »

It's gorgeous!  Great job!  And I'll remember that tip about tying a kimono!  Don't want to invite danger!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love my hubby, but the Army doesn't pay enough for my crafty habit!

My blog Multifaceted Mama
Facebook
Twitter
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Hack Flash Games
How to Use Camtasia Files On Movie Maker
How to Create Stick Figure Animations - in Pivot
How To Make Watermarks
How to make HD Videos Using Cyberlink Power Director
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...