A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,600
Currently Running With Scissors:
657 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kimono style shirt....men's dress shirt no more! (EDIT: Now with tutorial!)  (Read 13221 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

crazyjayblue

living for summer

View Profile
« on: February 11, 2007 10:48:58 PM »

So...I got a bag of clothes while visiting a friend last weekend. Among the pile of boy clothes was this black and white paisely dress shirt. It screamed kimono at me...I don't know why...it just did.
So, armed with a little extra black fabric, and a well fitting shirt for a rough pattern, I set to work. I pretty well just made it up as I went along, but it came out fairly close to what I envisioned, so I'm happy! Nothing better than making new clothes instead of doing laundry...haha.  Cheesy
On to the pictures!...

The shirt before

And after!

And on me...

From the side...

And a detail of the fabric

Thanks for looking!  Smiley

Smiley   Smiley   Smiley   Smiley   Smiley   Smiley
NEW!....Tutorial....
So, I decided to try my hand at drawing my first tutorial. Hopefully it makes sense, and I didn't forget any important steps! Any questions...please feel free to ask.  Smiley 

1. Remove the sleeves of the shirt at their seam...and save for later.
2. Remove the button strips on both sides of the shirt (lay shirt out with remaining sides touching).
3. Remove the front of the collar, leaving the back intact.
4. Using a shirt that fits you well, mark out your cut lines making sure to leave seam allowance. Cut off excess, but do not sew sides back together just yet.

5. Measure an even v-neck shape and cut away, making sure to leave the back collar ridge.
6. Using extra material in a complimenting colour, make a wide binding tape. Pin around the collar and down either sides of the front opening in one continuous strip. A small dart will be necessary where the tape bends into the v-neck. Sew in place. Now sew the front of the shirt together (right sides together).
7. Measure a wide strip of fabric for the front of the "belt". Iron the edges over, as if for a hem, and sew the panel directly onto the shirt. (Slip the shirt over your head and mark where you want the "belt" panel to start). Now sew up the sides of the shirt, and hem the bottom.
8. Measure around your waist and add to that enough length to make your tie. Cut two long strips of your extra fabric the same width of your front panel (have them narrow toward the ends). Sew them right sides together and turn inside out; finish the open end to make a belt. Centre the belt on the back of the shirt and pin in place. Sew onto the shirt, just until the side seams of the shirt.

(If you wanted your shirt to tie in the back, reverse steps 7 and 8 from front to back)

9. Now, grab your original sleeves, and turn them upside down so the cuffs are at your sleeve openings and the wide shoulder part is now your new cuff.
10. Trace out the shape of your sleeve opening onto your sleeves and cut away the excess.
11. Cut the sleeves straight across the bottom and add a strip of your wide binding tape to finish the hem.
12. Attach your sleeves.

13. Put on your shirt, tie it up, and voila!  Cheesy

Hopefully that was helpful. If there is anything confusing, please let me know and I'll try my best to clarify.  Thank you for all the great comments!  Smiley

« Last Edit: February 13, 2007 04:13:48 PM by crazyjayblue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
skankin kiwi
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007 11:16:08 PM »

That looks great!  I would have never guessed the kimono started out as that shirt!  Quite the transformation!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stirrin' my brandy with a nail...
Winnie
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007 11:27:27 PM »

That looks great!  I would have never guessed the kimono started out as that shirt!  Quite the transformation!

agree! that's really pretty ^^
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stick

"I'm Only Good At Being Young"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007 03:27:46 AM »

You are so smart to think of the reconstruction!  It looks really great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stick Officially Has Wists!
http://www.wists.com/appstatestick/all
Shazrasha

A very crafty Doctor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007 04:05:32 AM »

Wow that's a great use for an unwanted shirt and it's true the fabric does scream Kimono.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yes I do Personal swaps though you might have to ask me really nicely as I don't have huge swathes of time on my hands Smiley However I love crafting for other people.
roxybadoxy

Glcklich mich

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007 06:24:37 AM »

that looks amazing. i can't believe that came from that shirt. you did a really great job! it is very flattering on you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

please help some animals by clicking here!
OH! and there are other tabs so you can do more helpful things. YAY!!
McJulie-O
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007 06:41:09 AM »

Nice job!
Brilliant, even!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
motleykitten

Fuck nosejobs. Jewish Noses are HOT!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007 06:45:49 AM »

Wow!  Shocked Great job! I think that you had the right idea making it into a kimono- the print looks so Japanese! I would have never thought of it...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Up yours, young people. You and your rock and roll 8-track tapes!
fluffybaka

The Lil Hippies are taking over!

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007 07:35:18 AM »

Very cute!  I love kimono-style clothing.

However, if you happen to be around an actual Japanese person, they'll freak on you.  Kimono tied in the front signify death.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.CraftyHippy.etsy.com
Eco-friendly items, patterns, hippies, and more.

I'm on Ravelry, too!
http://www.ravelry.com/designers/stephanie-horn
Kiki870
Stash Goddess

Crafting since birth,...!

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007 07:37:15 AM »

It's gorgeous!  Great job!  And I'll remember that tip about tying a kimono!  Don't want to invite danger!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love my hubby, but the Army doesn't pay enough for my crafty habit!

My blog Multifaceted Mama
Facebook
Twitter
Carmin
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007 07:47:37 AM »

Beautiful!  Smiley

Very nicely done and great fabric for a kimonoshirt too.

However, if you happen to be around an actual Japanese person, they'll freak on you.  Kimono tied in the front signify death.

That was useful information, thought about doing something kimonostyled.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazyjayblue

living for summer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2007 12:17:53 PM »

Very cute!  I love kimono-style clothing.

It's gorgeous!  Great job!  And I'll remember that tip about tying a kimono!  Don't want to invite danger!

I like a little danger!   Wink
I'll have to keep that in mind if I ever make another one.
I hummed and hawwed about making it tie in the front or the back. Visually, I like it...but....eep, death!  hehe

Thanks for all the wonderful comments, everyone.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dyno
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2007 12:59:01 PM »

very nice job! thanks for sharing. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2007 05:25:50 PM »

Very nice. That fabric looks much better as your kimono-inspired shirt than it ever did as a men's shirt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
sterlinggurl
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2007 05:30:47 PM »

OK im so glad to be the first one to say this is AWESOME.... I so want one!! when i get to the point i can sew well enuf... I would love a tute if possible and u would be up to it... dont worry.. it will be a while.......

U did a great job and it is soo VERY Fashion forward
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I will do personal swaps!! Beads, findings, etc
kitschkween
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2007 09:07:54 PM »

that recon is amazing. you definitely have a crafty imagination. that kimono is awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hippyhart

Kids on the Street, Kids on the Beat!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2007 09:26:22 PM »

Yes, awesome imagination -- I would've just thought "men's ugly paisley shirt". It turned out totally cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jitka
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2007 10:09:56 PM »

Wow! that's amazing recon...I'm going to the goodwill tomorra and get me some men's shirt. One question, though...how much bigger was the shirt than you are? thanks and yet again, awesome work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazyjayblue

living for summer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2007 11:11:59 PM »

Wow! that's amazing recon...I'm going to the goodwill tomorra and get me some men's shirt. One question, though...how much bigger was the shirt than you are? thanks and yet again, awesome work!

The shirt was a men's size small. Of course, I'm only 4'11", so it was almost down to my knees and it was fairly baggy. You end up removing a lot of material, though, so you don't need it to be huge. But, bigger doesn't hurt, of course.  I'm trying to draw up a tutorial so you can see how I threw it all together. I'll post when I get it done!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazyjayblue

living for summer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2007 10:46:28 AM »

when i get to the point i can sew well enuf... I would love a tute if possible and u would be up to it... dont worry.. it will be a while.......

I put up a tutorial! And don't worry...it's not that hard...take a stab at it, you'd be surprised at what you can do.  This is only my 4th piece of clothing. I found just jumping in head first really helped.  Smiley
Happy sewing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kitschkween
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2007 11:51:16 AM »

thanks for the tut! i need to go steal one of my hubby's shirts now...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

onecraftybitch
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2007 02:41:28 PM »

Brilliant! I love this.

I can see why you thought the button down screamed kimono. Thanks for the tutorial as well. I now just have to find the courage ( and the right shirt) to try this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DaringToBeGreat

freckle, freckle, what makes you so special?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2007 03:09:14 PM »

What a kiss a** job! That is an awesome shirt and you were so right about the fabric it made a perfect kimono. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dyno
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2007 05:28:42 PM »

I just wanted to add that your tutorial is excellent! such a great way to illustrate it. you made it clear and simple. I came back and marked "this rocks". Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
feltlikeforever

love, nicole t.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2007 07:13:29 PM »

ooo, i love it! i've been thinking about making one of these for a while, but i haven't gotten around to it. your tutorial is very helpful &quite professional!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rozekitten

Glue, buttons, and a wall. Hmmm...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2007 08:09:41 PM »

This is very nice and officially put on my to do list!  (It's getting kind of long now...   Huh)  This is amazing though ad thank you very much for the tutorial!  It's very easy to understand.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sterlinggurl
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2007 08:17:45 PM »

when i get to the point i can sew well enuf... I would love a tute if possible and u would be up to it... dont worry.. it will be a while.......

whoops... silly me... THANX  Bunches!!

I put up a tutorial! And don't worry...it's not that hard...take a stab at it, you'd be surprised at what you can do.  This is only my 4th piece of clothing. I found just jumping in head first really helped.  Smiley
Happy sewing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I will do personal swaps!! Beads, findings, etc
sunnyb64

free as a bird...it's the next best thing to be

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2007 10:50:55 AM »

Lovely! The fabric works really well as a kimono, and very nice tutorial. I think I might have to try this one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RachOfTheJungle
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2007 01:42:49 PM »

That is really really clever!

I can't tell you how many times I've passed up a cool men's shirt at the thrift store cause I thought there was no way to make it a cool wearable...

Nice job, this is the kind of project that defines craftster. This rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rockin' knitting shirts I designed:

http://www.cafepress.com/stitchnsnitch
scarlet-ray
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2007 09:44:38 PM »

that is adorable........
THIS ROCKS   Logged
junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2007 10:10:57 PM »

fabulous tutorial! It looks great on you as well. I never thought I could wear something like this because I'm 4'11 or well I was lost an inch since back surgery! It looks super on you. You have inspired me now and with your tutorial it shouldn't be too hard! Thank you for sharing and the work and time you put into the tut!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gwengrrrl
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2007 11:29:06 AM »

Very cool- and good tutorial. I've got a 'Naked Ladies' party (aka swap party) coming up- will be on the lookout for suitable shirts now!

Gwengrrrl
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazyjayblue

living for summer

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2007 08:13:45 AM »

Wow! Thank you, everyone, for all the great comments. I'm glad my first tutorial wasn't disasterous.. Wink

I never thought I could wear something like this because I'm 4'11 or well I was lost an inch since back surgery! It looks super on you. You have inspired me now and with your tutorial it shouldn't be too hard!

That's just what I thought too! I put off making a shirt like this for awhile because I didn't think it would look right on someone my height. I should really throw caution to the wind more often...lol.  Smiley  Thanks for commenting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Noirness
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2007 12:28:02 PM »

This is amazing!! I am never getting rid of any of my husbands dress shirts again! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"French better expresses the profound noirness of my existence."
missedakick
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2007 06:35:58 PM »

This is wonderful! You are so innovative. I am also hitting this rocks. I also wanted to let you know that if you aren't already a graphic designer than you should consider a career in visual communications because the tutorial is well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.foxlovesgnome.e tsy.com

I finally opened up shop!
crazyjayblue

living for summer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2007 12:19:39 AM »

I also wanted to let you know that if you aren't already a graphic designer than you should consider a career in visual communications because the tutorial is well done!

LOL....I am a graphic designer, actually....how funny.
Thank you for the great comments!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
VMA Fashion Throughout The Years
Favorite Moments in Fashion Week History
Afro Punk Street Style
Best Skinny Jeans for Fall 2012
Apparel Tips for Looking Great In Photos
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...